It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Is What Happens When A Magnet Is Dropped Through A Copper Pipe

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+44 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
This is a really strange looking effect. When you drop an earth magnet through a copper pipe it appears to slow down falling and spinning at a lower rate than it should..

The falling magnet induces a current in the copper pipe and, by Lenz’s Law, the current creates a magnetic field that opposes the changing field of the falling magnet. Thus, the magnet is “repelled” and falls more slowly.

themindunleashed.org...

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Instantly makes me think of a gyroscopic stabiliser.

Very cool video.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   
That's cool. I love the effect of magnetism.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 04:49 AM
link   

eddy currents in action

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 04:54 AM
link   
that is very cool , never seen that before and never heard of this law .

now i want this done in an amusement park a 100 ft copper pipe and people jumping with a jacket full of magnets

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Dr UAE

That would be really cool. You'd want to have them in a cage with the diameter slightly less than the inside of the pipe and have it as the magnet. When falling through the pipe it would be like free falling. You should be able to tumble freely on decent and without banging against the sides.

You would have to account for the mass of the person and would still need a soft landing but if it was a long enough drop, it would be one cool experience.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   
why not a train?

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Cool Video !

This is how the space ship needs to be built. The magnetic field inside suspending the craft (magnet) that holds the astronaut(s). The outer ship (copper pipe) tunneling or folding through space to travel vast distances.

leolady

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I thought everybody who's been on ATS a while would have seen the Boyd Bushman video where he demonstrates this effect. The disappointing thing about the Bushman video is that he claims to have been a senior scientist for Lockheed Martin and if this claim is true it's shocking because any ordinary scientist in the aerospace industry should be familiar with such a well known effect, but Bushman seemed to be puzzled by it.

On the other hand he talked about Hutchison's obvious hoaxes as if they were real so maybe he's just senile if he can be fooled by that stuff.

Anyway Lenz's law is real science, but it's not any secret to antigravity as Bushman implies.

Thanks for posting a video that demonstrates the effect without all the Bushman nonsense.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
That is a NASTY magnet.A real hand crusher.I've never seen or even heard of this effect....very odd.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I could think of several ways to harness that effect in my head as I have been messing with metal as a job for the last 20+ years.

Now I need to find some tools to use to make what I have in my head and see what happens.

Cool, antigravity.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
It also works with an aluminum pipe and the wall need not be thick like the copper pipe in the video.

With a two foot long 1" I.D. aluminum pipe a smaller magnet will revolve spirally of it's own volition: you don't have to spin the magnet as you let it go.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
It would make a great fire escape.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I suppose we could build elevators that work to a similar fashion. Don't know about spinning all the way down through, it would be like being on the sticky wall at the carnival i imagine.

edit on 14-6-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Made me think of this video. Enjoy!
edit on 14-6-2014 by LeoStarchild because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Gonna have to get me some sweet magnets now!

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Super cool!

I guess I had a look of childish glee watching this as my girlfriend called me out on it.

I want to do that!

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Boyd bushman not only endorses the weirdo john Hutchinson but also bob lazar.
a reply to: Arbitrageur

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I'm in Germany...does anyone know where I can order copper or alu tubes this size?

I've got the magnet ordered.....50 kgs(110lbs)disk

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

That is pretty awesome...

S&F

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join