It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police: Man swinging crowbar shot to death by officer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Sorry for this O.P. I'm late for work but was putting this together

www.kptv.com...

Police: Man swinging crowbar shot to death by officer

Two cops confront a man, he goes at them with a crowbar, one cops stumbles falls down, the other cop then shoots the attacker...I guess his tazer was to hard to get to at the moment?

This was on the news yesteray, after the shooting at a local High School seems any shooting was getting radio time including this one...that IMO was justified www.katu.com...

So today I thought I would just add this police shooting of a man armed with a crowbar, had to do a search to find this local story, and two other similar stories showed up from across the country just in the last day
Really man armed with crowbar needs to be shot to death by police?

hmmm

crimeblog.dallasnews.com...
So in this case in Ft Worth, the suspect is shot in the shoulder and then continues to attack with his tire iron...does that justify the killing of the suspect with a crow bar in Portland?

newsone.com...
Oh I see now my search didnt turn up cases by date, but by revelance
The third one is from Jan this year in L.A.
Cops shoot guy 5 times for brandishing his crowbar...then when he is down another cop shoots him 5 more times

Wow
is it a wonder we are seeing things like what happened in Vegas over last weekend.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcouncil=wisdom

I would have shot him as well...until he stopped swinging it.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Going at someone with a crowbar or tire iron is serious and I think most would see it as life threatening.

That seems justified if it happened that way.

Shooting a man while he is down is over the top unless he is moving and has a firearm pointed your way. Just my opinion though.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Yeah you're gonna taze somebody swinging a crowbar at you? GOODLUCK with that.... This IMO is justified.

*Too many cop threads on here this stuff happens all the time if it's not local who cares
edit on 13-6-2014 by 3u40r15m because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

if it's not local who cares

For a worldwide community, anywhere is local to someone.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
A crowbar is a lethal weapon if it hits your head.

In South Florida we had one guy come after an elderly person in a parking lot with a crowbar.
The elderly man in question shot the guy with a crowbar dead.
And that too was justified.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Cowards always shoot to kill at any type of threat.

It involves the least amount of thought.

Cowards On Patrol is becoming quite the problem lately.

Anyone with ANY level of required training can take down a nut with a crowbar without a weapons discharge.

There were two cops?

One fell down?

Cowards!!!

edit on 13-6-2014 by applesthateatpeople because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
A friend of mine's dad got in a fight and smashed pretty good with a crowbar. The officer could have tazered him or shot him the leg, but dead men don't sue.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I'll am not one to agree with some of these shootings but if someone attacks a person with a crowbar they should know it can inflict serious injury or death. Getting shot is the risk for that action. Maybe some will think "Can I take it away or will I killed, I'll go with possible death" but most reasonable don't care to play a game with their life.
edit on 6/13/2014 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3u40r15m
Yeah you're gonna taze somebody swinging a crowbar at you? GOODLUCK with that.... This IMO is justified.

*Too many cop threads on here this stuff happens all the time if it's
not local who cares

Don't see why him having a crowbar makes a difference on him being tazed?
Eta: read the story wrong, perp was closer then I thought. Still think a tazer would have been good.
I think it more had to do with the officer falling down. Which I guess is justified cause if they guy with crowbar got to him it would be no good
edit on thFri, 13 Jun 2014 15:47:58 -0500America/Chicago620145880 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: applesthateatpeople

Cowards always shoot to kill at any type of threat.

It involves the least amount of thought.

Cowards On Patrol is becoming quite the problem lately.

Anyone with ANY level of required training can take down a nut with a crowbar without a weapons discharge.

There were two cops?

One fell down?

Cowards!!!

Got a bit of news for you. If some idiot comes at me swinging a crowbar, I will give it no thought at all as I place a tight grouping in the middle of his chest,,,,

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
A crowbar is a lethal weapon. If the guy was under 20 feet way from the officers and brandishing it, then this is not the officers fault.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Id have shot him. Beating a man/cop on the ground with a crowbar... yeah. OR.. Id have tazed him, gotten a strange cramp in my finger and accidently tazed him till he smoked.

Crowbar is a deadly weapon. I doubt he was intending to tap that cop who tripped and run away giggling.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

If somebody was coming at you with a crowbar, would you just stand there? How do you know your tazer is going to work on the person, or work at all for that matter. What if you miss?

I get the hate for the whole police state thing going on the US right now, but you need to step back and think about how stressful it may be for the cop on a daily basis.

If you come at a cop with any type of weapon you better expect to be shot.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: gordo

Sounds like you can't wait for that day, cause you already know for a fact that you will attempt to kill the man.
I give the cop in this story a semi pass cause a fellow officer had fallen down aand very well could have been in grave danger.
Your story just sounds like you are carrying hoping someone will test you

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
Don't see why him having a crowbar makes a difference on him being tazed?
I think it more had to do with the officer falling down.

This is why the police don't allow civilian oversight, because people don't understand the rules they operate under. When someone has a melee weapon, the rule in most states is that an officer is allowed to shoot them if the distance between them is less then what can be crossed in the time that an officer can draw his weapon and fire two reliable shots. Usually this is around 20 feet. It doesn't matter what the melee weapon is, as long as it can cause great bodily harm.
edit on 6/13/2014 by defcon5 because: Damn autocorrect

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Hey, if Americans can cheer for a citizen blasting blindly into his garage, killing an intruder, without evidence of any violent intent, surely, killing someone coming at you with a crowbar should be justified.

No amount of training makes a man swinging a crow bar any less deadly or dangerous.

I hate that there are arguments about the justification of killing another human. Killing each other will keep us from progressing to a "civilized" level.....but if you are trying to take my head off with a crowbar and I have the option to shoot. 3 rounds. Center mass.

Yeah, I'm part of the problem too.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: defcon5

Yeah and they shouldn't have those rules....
Or just get rid of all the less then lethal stuff they have, seems that is just a waste of space and money and training time now.
Cops can shoot you for anything as long as you are close to then with something in your hand

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

If this is true:

They tracked down the suspect and were speaking with him about the assault when, without provocation, he attacked two officers with a 3-foot crowbar

Then I would have been very impressed if they had disarmed him without killing him. I'd have probably thought, "We need more guys like this on the force" and I've had thought they deserved a medal and a promotion.

However, I couldn't/wouldn't ask them to risk it and I don't fault them for shooting him under the circumstances related in the op's source.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Even though I don't trust the police, and have personal experiences adding to that distrust, not all cops are bad. We need them to have a properly functioning society. There are a lot of bad guys out there that without the cops would murder, rape, and steal to no end.

If you were in charge and cops had no lethal weapons, what would stop the bad guys from killing them all?

If someone came at you with a crowbar, no matter the location, what would you do?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join