It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superstitions Collide: Full Moon Rises on Friday the 13th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I thought this was kind of fun and figured ATS might enjoy it too.

Superstitions Collide: Full Moon Rises on Friday the 13th

Our first Full Moon on Friday the 13th in a few years.
We all know that there are all sorts of superstitions surrounding these two events on their own, but when they get smashed together...well the possibilities are endless.

Personally, I don't put any stock into either phenomenon.
Numbers, dates and calenders were invented by people, so Friday the 13th is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

And the full moon, it's fun for kids, but not really anything mysterious of extraordinary about it.

Contrary to myth, the full moon does not affect human behavior or health. For example, a 1985 review published in the journal Psychological Bulletin tracked hospital admissions, psychiatric disturbances, homicides and other crime over several months and found no uptick in any of those variables around the time of the full moon.

Alas for heavily pregnant women, a 2001 study in the Bulletin of the American Astronomical Society looked at about 70 million births in the United States and found no link between the phase of the moon and labor starting. So don't expect to finish your pregnancy just because the moon is full.

And

More info here:
'Supermoon' Lunacy: Does the Moon Make Us Crazy?
Why is Friday the 13th Considered Unlucky?
There are a few other fun facts in the article

The June full moon is nicknamed the "Strawberry Moon," a moniker that goes back to the Algonquin Native American tribe, according to the Farmer's Almanac. June is strawberry season, and the full moon would have traditionally coincided with the harvest.

Pet owners might want to avoid walking their black cats under the full moon on Friday, however. One 2007 study of pet injuries published in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association found that emergency vet visits for cats were 23 percent higher on days around the full moon. (Dog visits spiked 28 percent on those days.) Researchers speculated that people might use the extra light of the full moon to stay out after dark with their pets, perhaps boosting the likelihood of injury.

Friday the 13th full moons occur sporadically. The last one fell on Aug. 13, 2011. The next Friday the 13th full moon will be on Aug. 13, 2049.

While I'm not superstitious, I enjoy ghost stories and horror movies as much as anyone.

Does anyone have any interesting full moon or Friday the 13th stories or thoughts?

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

I have a story.

Once there was a summer camp and this boy drowned. The camp's name was "Camp Crystal Lake" and the boy who died was named Jason.

Every year on Friday the 13th this crazy bastard goes around killing people.

hahaha.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
It would be interesting to see the sales statistics on hockey-masks and machetes.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Even spookier is that I live right next to the Superstition Mountains in Arizona.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Its a unique one too, won't be repeated until in the 2040's and includes Mercury in retrograde.

astrology.about.com...

Mercury is the messenger, and in this time, the delivery is warped or the message gets lost en route. Some people find that their computers go on the fritz or phone lines go down. If you're at all jittery about it, go ahead and back up your important files.

There can be delays, so give yourself plenty of time to get places. What happens in those down times? Mercury retro is known to be a time of 'fated' events -- who will you meet? What will be revealed?

A Time-Out:

Mercury retrograde gives us time to catch up with ourselves, and reflect. Something from the past returns in a different form. People, ideas or buried insights that are keys to moving forward, float to the surface. Often it's felt as a slowed down, contemplative time, and depending on the sign, a chance to go over old ground again, to claim what you missed the first time.

So its supposed to be a very unusual and negative type period, lots of positive ions, upsetting us. With glancing blows of the X flares happening.

Basically, I kind of think we need to go through all the bases and rich people's basements and church's and church basements, and estates in the woods and stop all the sacrifices they would be doing now.

I wish people were awake cause I would be doing this in huge crowds.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Fantastic! And here I was, having the hardest time setting a date for this thing me and my friends were planning involving goat's blood and a grimoire I found at a local graveyard...you just settled it for us. Thanks!

edit on 12-6-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
LOL sitting in a pre-meeting and passed this along. You should've seen people's expressions change and they're just babbling on about it.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I'm picturing a werewolf wearing a hockey mask and brandishing a machete. And our cell phones will be on the fritz, so we will be completely unable to call for help or post about it on Facebook.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: minusinfinity
Once there was a summer camp and this boy drowned. The camp's name was "Camp Crystal Lake" and the boy who died was named Jason.

Interesting fact about those movies.. My mother went to high-school with one of the producers\writers of the original.

Many of the locations and names are based on an area in South NJ about 10 mins from Philadelphia.
Crystal Lake, Voorhees and others.

The same writer worked on the original Halloween which is where the name of the town Haddonfield comes from. Again right over the bridge from Philadelphia.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
It would be interesting to see the sales statistics on hockey-masks and machetes.

HAPPY FRIDAY THE 13TH!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Do you doubt the power of the human mind?

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: minusinfinity

I have a story.

hahaha. AND we were all young and hot , like Jaime Lee Curtis, what a lovely child she is. PEACE

top topics

join