It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STS-75 Tether Encounter -- Unpublished crew photography now available

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: grubblesnert
a reply to: JimOberg
Thank you!
A very informative and interesting transcript.
I commend you on your research.

Thank YOU. There are still some garbled phrases that need work, please.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 05:01 AM
link   

is there a time stamp for that picture?

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I never could figure out the big deal on this it's just dust and camera artifacts. I have seen a UFO but there was none there. Oh well it keeps people entertained

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD

is there a time stamp for that picture?

You've put your finger right on the biggest problem.

NO.

These film images are from cameras that have timer chips that merely record DATE, not clock time, and even the dates are usually wrong by a few days.

We discussed exactly that problem during my visit. The photo folks had no explanation for this.

Recall that there were four separate brief intervals of visibility on Flight Day 9 as 'Columbia' passed below and then pulled ahead of TSS-1R, each for a few minutes after successive sunrises [every hour and a half].

The first period, while the shuttle was still somewhat behind the tether, involved some hand-held, but the second period was the most imaged. The third and forth, the crew remarked on seeing the tether at a distance but made no reference to taking any pictures, as I recall.

There was a second fly-under about four days later, shortly before landing. Some pictures might also have been taken then.

That's why an examination of photos before and after the tether shots can be helpful, as well as discussions with crewmembers, which I'm also conducting by email.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
My step father was part of the group who did this he works for boeing. i can tell you for a fact that the saw this in perfect hd quality this isnt even the actual footage that Nasa and Boeing watched this is just bs crappy video the release to the public.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Here's what I found in the 35-mm and 70-mm catalogs for STS-75, note the dubious dates. The fly-under was March 1, no camera had it right.

70mm cam
“03/08/1996” Mag 747 frames 80, 82-90
Distant view of the Tethered Satellite System [TSS]-1R satellite and tether after it broke free from it’s [sic] boom on the shuttle Columbia. The tether and satellite are barely visible against the blackness of space.

03/04/1996 Mag 771 frames 057-060
Distant view of the Tethered Satellite System [TSS]-1R and the remains of its tether after the satellite had broken from from [sic!] the shuttle Columbia. The light is reflecting off of the tether.
JimO: the tether appears somewhat curved and the line is discontinuous [low brightness limit?]

35mm camera
“04/03/1996” Mag 360 frames 016-028
Distant views of the Tethered Satellite System [TSS]-1R and its broken tether floating from off the orbiter.

“04/03/1996” Mag 361 frames 001-015
Views of small bits of debris and distant views of the Tethered Satellite System [TSS]-1R and its broken tether floating from of [sic] the orbiter

“04/03/1996” Mag 362 frames 013-033
Distant views of the Tethered Satellite System [TSS]-1R and its broken tether floating from off the orbiter.
JimO: includes several shots of large white circle moving across FOV

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Immensely interesting! Thank you JimOberg!
I am following this thread somewhat closely!

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: jonfudge2011
My step father was part of the group who did this he works for boeing. i can tell you for a fact that the saw this in perfect hd quality this isnt even the actual footage that Nasa and Boeing watched this is just bs crappy video the release to the public.

Can you follow up with specific questions to him? Aside from the TV and the 35mm and 70mm stills, what else should we be looking for? Onboard movie film?

What does he say the other imagery actually shows?

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Great work!!
S & F

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I think one of the most telling things about the tether incident is the notches in the circular disks are all in the same place..either roughly at 6 o'clock or 12 o'clock. Is would point to it being a camera anomaly like the video above states.

Its just highly unlikely to be disks with notches in the same place floating round in space with the same rotation all exactly facing the camera. In fact highly unlikely is an understatement..its practically impossible.

In my UFOs video collection mostly videotaped off transmission TV is a discovery I made many years ago after the tether incident was publicized. I was watching something, don't remember exactly whether it was a movie, documentary, commercial, and there was one night scene where a car was shown coming towards the camera. The car I think was coming around a curve and as the headlights overpowered the camera creating flares, one of the images was similar to one of the notched "objects" seen in the tether footage. I then accepted that whether the camera was film-based or video-based the camera's internals created the notches.

However, that doesn't mean that the tether objects themselves have been explained satisfactorily. I still have my doubts and explanations given do not satisfy me, especially the questionable recreations done on earth.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Uggielicious

However, that doesn't mean that the tether objects themselves have been explained satisfactorily. I still have my doubts and explanations given do not satisfy me, especially the questionable recreations done on earth.

Thanks for sharing. I share your skepticism of many of these earthside 'recreations'.
edit on 13-6-2014 by JimOberg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   

By Jim Oberg himself : )

www.rense.com...

He said that according to his research, the shuttle crew did a routine water dump a few hours earlier before they filmed the tether.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoRulesAllowed

He said that according to his research, the shuttle crew did a routine water dump a few hours earlier before they filmed the tether.

My quest for verifiable records of this remains incomplete.
edit on 13-6-2014 by JimOberg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Just bumping to keep an eye on this thread

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I think one of the most telling things about the tether incident is the notches in the circular disks are all in the same place..either roughly at 6 o'clock or 12 o'clock. Is would point to it being a camera anomaly like the video above states.

Its just highly unlikely to be disks with notches in the same place floating round in space with the same rotation all exactly facing the camera. In fact highly unlikely is an understatement..its practically impossible.

The problem I have with the tether incident UFO's is that they all appear to be drifting each in their own direction, like nobody or thing is steering them, almost as if they are aimless debris floating about in space.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Im puzzled. Given that once an object sets in motion will remain on that trajectory, is there a continual source of debris? Once its 'gone its way' where does the new stuff come from? It seems to be endless in this video.

originally posted by: Toadmund

The problem I have with the tether incident UFO's is that they all appear to be drifting each in their own direction, like nobody or thing is steering them, almost as if they are aimless debris floating about in space.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
I never could figure out the big deal on this it's just dust and camera artifacts. I have seen a UFO but there was none there. Oh well it keeps people entertained

And threads like this serve no other purpose than confirm what most people already knew and keep people from investigating the really interesting stuff. You are right, this case is given disproportionately large coverage because it's a safe slam dunk and makes people look they are clever when really it's nothing more than common sense. Still, I'm sure there's a sizeable claque on here wetting their proverbial knickers about being able to see through Jim's expert guidance, that which their American tax dollars paid for in the first place.

It's a similar sort of mindset as when, huge corporations act as if they doing everyone a favour by cleaning up the mess they themselves made and then passing the costs onto the consumer. If you track how and when this incident appears in UFO documentaries they are almost wholly, sceptical or if not, really out there on the loony fringe. Meanwhile those with a true interest in the subject merely give a tired knowing shrug and think..."Here we go again".....

Stratford Bill wrote a play about this sort of "news story", it's called "Much ado about nothing"

Meanwhile, an eminently sensible work colleague of mine this last weekend, revealed to me that they saw "large object" silently "gliding" across the Gower Peninsula in South Wales whilst out for their late night constitutional walk a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't a triangle either rather, seemingly flat bottomed with a curbed upper surface, carrying no lights whatsoever. They viewed it for 5 minutes and even managed to work out a decent approximation of its's size as it hovered about the lights of the houses some distance away. It was at least some 300 feet across . Sadly, as he's human, he was tad distracted by the experience and forgot to whip out his 50 grand High Definition broadcast standard pocket camera and take any footage. Obviously, because of that, it's of no interest and didn't actually happen anyway so, there'd be no point opening a thread about it.

Still, here's looking forward to threads including "Yes, the Pope is a catholic", an exclusive by Cardinal Obvious and "It's true, bears really do use woodlands for defecating in" by A Naturalist..... Of course, there will be a rump that insist that the Pope is really a Hindu and that bears, actually prefer to use swimming pools however, we all really know the truth now don't we?

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoRulesAllowed

www.rense.com...

I depend on reason, logic and common sense to navigate my life. A water dump as a possible explanation for what is seen on the video we've all come to love is devoid of logic. Wouldn't water instantly freeze as it is exposed to space? What one sees on the tether video are not water droplets frozen and shooting off in all directions. The frozen water droplets' trajectory would be in one direction and equal in speed.

But correct me if I'm wrong.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: FireMoon

originally posted by: mikell

Camera artifacts, whether still/film/video, enthusiasts really get my goat! I've owned still/film/video cameras since the 1950s and they never produced artifacts so that pat explanation holds no water to be used so constantly.

FireMoon, admit that you like to run off at the mouth as your lengthy replies attest to. Criticism rarely achieves the critic's aim. Everyone experiences life individually and agreement is a marvelous achievement but doesn't prove right or wrong.

edit on 18-6-2014 by Uggielicious because: to correct format

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join