It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American illegal immigrant deaths

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Illegal Immigration in America continues

Is this the tip of the iceberg or an anomolie?
Is illegal immigration really problematic to America or are mistakes such as that cited below just an odd occurrence? Do people want to enter America so badly that they put their life at risk?

There are no easy answers for Americans as they grapple with yet another outrage perpetrated by human smugglers. For some certain sum of money poor Mexicans are smuggled in to the United States (America) by people that have apparently little or no care for the immigrants lives or well-being.

AP story
Woman pleads guilty in deadly smuggling operation
By The Associated Press
(11/15/04 - HOUSTON) � A woman pleaded guilty Monday to her role in a human smuggling operation in which 19 illegal immigrants died after boarding a sweltering trailer.

Norma Gonzalez Sanchez was set to go to trial on Nov. 29 with three other defendants who prosecutors say were involved in the smuggling operation, the nation's deadliest.

She pleaded guilty to a charge of harboring and transporting illegal immigrants into the United States and causing serious injury or death to a person as a result.

A truck load (trailer) of people was left on the side of the road. Some died as temperatures reached an estimated 173 deg. F. Some of the group of conspirators were caught, most likely looking at long jail terms. This happened in Texas (USA) as the President of the United States readies himself and his cabinet to push for immigration reform against growing opposition within his own party (Republican).

One has to wonder just how large the illegal immigration problem in America is to force people to pay their way into the country while being transported in a trailer, �like cattle.�

other sources:
www.dfw.com...
www.click2houston.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I believe that this is simply human will to survive. People, who want to leave their country for another, go through great lengths and dangers to do so. Some one offers them a solution and makes it very attractive. I can't think of anyone in the US who thinks, "Hey, I think I'll do poor citizens of another country a favor. I will transport them illegally and under very harsh conditions for a cost, and they can come into the US to start new lives. It's perfect! There can be no horrible consequences. No way." It's the greed of certain people in this country. Sad as it is, you can't honestly blame one party or the other. Once you had the job of sending a couple hundred immigrants back to their country, you become empathetic. You see the looks in their eyes and it changes you.

[edit on 1 Dec 04 by zuhalter]

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   

One has to wonder just how large the illegal immigration problem in America is to force people to pay their way into the country while being transported in a trailer, �like cattle.�

As sad as it is smuggling is big business for many. Trucks, trunks of cars, shipping containers are used daily.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
What surprises me is that you are surprised by the scope of illegal immigration to this country. I think that the current estimates are that about 3,000,000 people per year cross the border illegally into this country (U.S.). I have lived in So Cal my entire life and it is a subject that everybody is very familiar with here. The people that do the smuggling are called 'coyotes' and they are pretty much ruthless gangsters. It is suspected that many persons skilled in smuggling the vast quantities of coc aine into this country are turning into smuggling illegal immigrants as it is very profitable and the penalties are not as harsh as smuggling drugs.

[edit on 1-12-2004 by Major Slaker]

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Major Slaker
What surprises me is that you are surprised by the scope of illegal immigration to this country.
[edit on 1-12-2004 by Major Slaker]

It almost sounds like he/she is not from the US. Just a guess on my part.

new topics

top topics

join