It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq crisis: Isis militants close in on Baghdad - live coverage

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

My husbands phearts are in the cedar chest.. display refusal.
He cant forget.. if he takes a shower or takes his shirt off to mow the lawn in 100 degree weather.. his purple heart is in his flesh for all to see. He isnt so furious with the militants.. its by design. He is rageful at who promoted this and used his love of this country and the iraqi people to light the fire. You have to put blame where it needs to be in order to identify the enemy.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

There are not enough tears I can cry to describe what a failure/waste this makes all my efforts over there feel like.

35,000 IA run from 800 ISIS. I wanna puke....

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Apparently, they're pretty close to Baghdad now. The reports are nearly an hour old, so they could very well be on the outskirts, if their momentum is anything to go by:

"There are reports that fighting between Iraqi and al-Qaeda forces taking place near al-Taji - 15 miles from Baghdad."

www.telegraph.co.uk...

I believe that if the extremists get into Baghdad, the west will be going back to war. The simple fact is that the international scene cannot let radical extremist groups set up their own state or territory, especially when we have all worked so hard to eliminate the threat of terrorism from the region.

There's already talks of Iraq splitting in three, and we all know that a situation such as that is most undesirable. We must act now in order to avoid any long term repercussions to Iraq's statehood and the region. The West ruined the country, so it is only right for us to get in there and help them out when they need it.

Screw it, i'm going for the Kurds, haha.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Breaking on the Guardin article linked to in the OP:
". . . this should be also a wake up call from the Iraqi government that there has to be a political component to this.”
from Obama.
What?
This is blow-back from his own policy to destabilize Syria.
And thank you very much, Hillary, queen of the terrorists.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Here's a map of the current situation in regards to ISIS, which some may find interesting.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I hear you, HardCorps. And I share your anger.

I just posted about this when it was developing in Mossul yesterday (in the thread about the recent suspected chemical attack in Irbin, Syria).

The most disturbing thing about this is, the ISIL/ISIS Mujahideen are based in / operate in the border region of Iraq and Syria, and they currently benefit alot from our western intelligence service's (and in this case presumably Saudi) proxy-war strategy against Assad in Syria.... our own intelligence people caused this!

The situation is simply disgusting.

*eta: the map daaskapital posted paints a pretty good picture of what is really going on.

edit on 12-6-2014 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps
another new bit

The Guardian's Paul Lewis has a few more details on Speaker John Boehner's comments about Iraq.

"Obama's failure to reach a status-of-forces agreement continues to have serious consequences for Iraq and American influence in the region," he told reporters on Thursday.

He sad the administration's "failed policies" in the region, in particular in Syria, Libya and Egypt, "is having a direct impact on the situation in Iraq".

Can't just put all this on Obama--- fact is--- no one wants us over there so of course the status-of-forces agreement was bound to stall out

Boehner was bound to blame Obama. The man suffers from Obama derangement Syndrome - Obama could praise puppies and he'd Boehner would immediately attack him on behalf of kittens!

Maliki wanted the US forces out. There was nothing that Obama could do about it.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: jmdewey60

The unfolding situation has its roots in many complicated scenarios. Yes, Syria is only one factor, but there are a multitude of others which have contributed to the current march towards Baghdad.

To blame everything on Obama is foolish, considering the complicated circumstances surrounding these events.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColCurious

proxy-war strategy against Assad in Syria.... our own intelligence people caused this!

Right there. By God... NO man who fought should feel anything but betrayal IMO. The hub is livid. Murmuring on base...

The anger is across the board. Look at that map in the previous post... effing proxy invasion.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

France has called for swift international action said on the crisis, with foreign minister Laurent Fabius saying Isis "poses a serious threat to the stability of the region", Reuters reports.
The jihadist organization, isis, was unhappy that the US was not giving them "good" weapons to beat Syria with.
They obviously were restricting access to weapons that could have been turned against Israel.
They seem to have found a work-around, stealing weapons from Iraq.
The US will bomb the daylights out of them before they can take them to where they are close enough to aim them at Tel Aviv.
edit on 12-6-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Iran has entered the fray.

Iran 'deploys two battalions of the Quds force with experience of fighting in Iraq to help their Iraq counterparts defend Samara and win back parts of Tikrit' - Wall Street Journal reports

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

To all you marines .. at what point did you realize you were being used as pawns ..for an illegal war..?
And why would you want to go back 'in time to make a difference' ..?

What you don't realize is that Western traditions and style of 'democracy' is not a cookie cutter solution for the ME or any other place .. it just WON'T work! .. no matter how many militants you kill .. once you leave, it gets back to 'normal' real fast ..
You can't just go to places and claim to be fighting terrorism .. when terrorism is not even a person! ..if you want to fight it, you have to use intellect ..not bombs ..

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
US will not send ground troops...

I still bet my bottom dollar that they will if the extremists march on Baghdad though.

White House says US not contemplating sending ground troops into Iraq - air strikes remain a possibility following Obama's comments that all options are open.

www.telegraph.co.uk...
edit on 12-6-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Nevermind
edit on 12-6-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
If indeed it is true that CHINA aquired the Oil Lease's for Iraq,, then why does China not send in troops this time,,,
there supposed to be so bad ass, and there closer.

To restore vaunted Chinese order.

After all they want to be a world power dont they?,,and they have the security council seat.
They just have to ask Russia's permision right?

And now that Turkeys ambassadors are hostage,, Ban Moon is all for it as well.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
We were talking about Turkey last night.. .to watch Turkey.

“The most important thing is the safe and secure return of our personnel and their families to Turkey. In Syria or Iraq or anywhere in the world, those who jeopardise the lives of our people will receive the harshest retaliation. Nobody should test the determination and capability of Turkey,” said Davutoglu. The United States has pledged any “appropriate assistance” to help the Iraqi government fend off a rapid military advance by Sunni militants

www.euronews.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Nevermind

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Wasted life's in a war against Iraqi a county that never had AL Qaeda in it to begin with. We should have invaded Saudi Arabia if that was the case. You can see why the government is building arms to fight internal problem that they think are going to come from Vets. lack of medical care that was promised lack of jobs lack of housing. And now a lack in faith that the war they where sent to was for anything other than giving money to large corporations. I see a revolution coming as if i where looking threw binoculars its right there over the hill.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

Why should Persian Shia:s of Iran intervene in Arabic Sunni affairs that is controlled by House of Saud/Saudi Arabia Wahhabi. Syria is another matter for Iran since there are Shia in Syria.

I don't want any war.

But, if there is going to be a fight in the ME...America needs to sit it out.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps
a reply to: whyamIhere

What really pisses me off---
This makes everything we did over there---totally 'Meaningless'

Now I can point to the first of my two purple hearts and say
"I got this one, for no reason whatsoever!"

Very sad, that after 20 years of suffering since 1991, Iraqi people cannot still find ways to live in peace in their own country.

US trained the Iraqi army and gave them high quality gear, but when test of mettle came, these guys fled like high school lads.

Whole world should get together and blast this Islamic Fanaticism out. It is a major threat to the humanity's future.

Guess soon it should be drone flights over Iraq.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join