It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PA mother of seven dies while serving two-day jail term for kids’ truancy violations

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: andy1972

Yes to this post!!! I am a big proponent of offering an incentive for voluntary sterilization, or even reversible permanent birth control (pellets inserted under the skin or an iud). I would LOVE my tax dollars going to that. But, I'm also a proponent of abortion if someone gets pregnant and knows they can't handle raising the kid.

DITTO

And I'm going to add, I'm a big proponent of enacting a law that makes DNA testing for paternity mandatory.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

a reply to: JudgeEden

Did you bother to TELL anyone that you were being bullied? If my child were to tell me she is being bullied, you can believe I would be going to the school immediately to deal with the administrators. That would be my job as a parent.

Oh yeah bullying. I think the mental and emotional bullying between girls can sometimes be the worst. My granddaughter is in the "popular" crowd. At 14 she's already 5' 9". She looks a lot like Dakota Fanning, except with darker coloring, and big saucer green eyes. We've raised her to be independent and have self worth from the inside. But, we've gone through some really intense years of mental/emotional bullying --- from her "friends".

We put her in private counseling and had sessions with the school counselor. Just recently there was an incident of one of her "friends" spreading a rumor she was cheating on her boyfriend (apparently cheating is the ultimate horror in her crowd). She called her mom, crying, hiding out in the school bathroom. Her mom, who keeps close ties with the school counselor, called the counselor --- the counselor went out and retrieved her from the bathroom, brought her into her private office, talked with her, calmed her down, and we moved on from there how to solve the problem.

Communication. That's the key.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: JudgeEdenI agree with you.I too was spanked,and am far from violent.

But,I also think that once the child hits 11 or 12 spanking is out.There are better ways to punish kids.I take away video games,tv etc.

I find kids are far more violent today than when I was a teen(80s) but thats another thread.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

We have a rule that it's turned off at 10, plugged in, alarm set, across the room from her bed. We've found her talking on the phone in her bed at 2AM. No more phone in bed.

Kids and their phones could be a thread all on its own.

Yep, we have that rule as well, except she has to turn it over to me before she goes to bed (it goes in MY room). Otherwise, she'll just go get it and use it all night.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

We have a rule that it's turned off at 10, plugged in, alarm set, across the room from her bed. We've found her talking on the phone in her bed at 2AM. No more phone in bed.

Kids and their phones could be a thread all on its own.

Yep, we have that rule as well, except she has to turn it over to me before she goes to bed (it goes in MY room). Otherwise, she'll just go get it and use it all night.

Oh yeah, we definitely go there if we catch her breaking the rules.

We TRY to make her be self responsible. Which is beginning to work, but she's still only 14.

The thing is her mom works Hollywood production. Very crazy hours. It's very important she be personally responsible getting herself up in the morning and get to school on time. If we can't drive her, she has to arrange for a friend to pick her up, or get to the bus stop. We do make her plan this the night before.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   

a reply to: JudgeEden

Did you bother to TELL anyone that you were being bullied? If my child were to tell me she is being bullied, you can believe I would be going to the school immediately to deal with the administrators. That would be my job as a parent.

And yes, if my daughter were to be caught skipping school - the first thing I would do would be to ask her why she is doing that. Unfortunately, most kids would just shrug and say "school sucks". Well, that's not a good enough answer.

I did, eventually; but what could my parents do but complain? After which nothing would be done. Only one of the bullies I had was actually expelled and only after he made a death threat towards me in the middle of class.

You must realize though, that not all kids are going to be so forthright with their problems at school. A lot of students prefer to handle their own problems as getting parental help can be embarrassing. So, sometimes parents do need to take initiative in trying to understand why their kid is having problems before they think of discipline.

Public school as it is today is a hot mess. In one way or another. At the end of the day, parents are mostly helpless in doing anything to intervene as public school tries to have a stranglehold on not only their students, but the respective parents as well.

Regardless of the reasoning, it is abominable to punish the parent for the wrong doings of the student. The fact some seem to be okay with this is very telling.
edit on XJunamvAmerica/ChicagoWed, 18 Jun 2014 06:16:45 -0500162014-06-18T06:16:45-05:00k by JudgeEden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyeddie68
a reply to: JudgeEdenI agree with you.I too was spanked,and am far from violent.

But,I also think that once the child hits 11 or 12 spanking is out.There are better ways to punish kids.I take away video games,tv etc.

I find kids are far more violent today than when I was a teen(80s) but thats another thread.

I do agree that taking things away that your child loves does far more than spankings. Which actually further proves that spanking doesn't really have as much effect on a kid's psyche as they lead you to believe. I would have gladly taken a beating over having my video games taken away.

So, I ask those that are against spanking, is taking my privileges away a form of child abuse as well? I mean, why not? As a kid, I saw it as a worse punishment; many kids do.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: JudgeEden

You must realize though, that not all kids are going to be so forthright with their problems at school. A lot of students prefer to handle their own problems as getting parental help can be embarrassing. So, sometimes parents do need to take initiative in trying to understand why their kid is having problems before they think of discipline.

We started young, very young getting the kids to open up and tell us what's going on.

As young as 3 we put them on a stool and they had to sit there until they told us what was going on in their head. It may sound cruel to some, but believe me it was very effective. Even the 14 year old tells us what's going on, with a little prodding, because she knows it's best for her.

I think too many parents wait til there is a problem.

I learned from my mom about taking the school to task. She had no qualms about marching into the principles office, getting answers and results.

I must admit, I've had practice. I raised my 2 daughters, helped raise my 20 year old grandson, and am now helping raise the 14 year old granddaughter and 6 year old grandson.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: JudgeEden

We started young, very young getting the kids to open up and tell us what's going on.

As young as 3 we put them on a stool and they had to sit there until they told us what was going on in their head. It may sound cruel to some, but believe me it was very effective. Even the 14 year old tells us what's going on, with a little prodding, because she knows it's best for her.

I think too many parents wait til there is a problem.

I learned from my mom about taking the school to task. She had no qualms about marching into the principles office, getting answers and results.

I must admit, I've had practice. I raised my 2 daughters, helped raise my 20 year old grandson, and am now helping raise the 14 year old granddaughter and 6 year old grandson.

That's good. I wish more parents would do as you have done. Maybe we'd have a lot less delinquents running around if parents actually cared to talk to their kids once in awhile.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I am an Entrepreneur.

I work a lot, but I work when I want to, I haven't had to crap on a toilet I haven't wanted to in 22 years, I haven't had to "go in" sick in my entire adult life, I can get sun when I want to, I can eat the food I choose to, I don't have any one causing me stress on a daily basis, don't breathe conditioned air or live under artificial light

If you choose your kids to "go to school every day" then you choose for them to be trained into a bs degree, a huge debt and a "job" for a large corporation... that is what "school is for... it is to be trained into a schedule in which they make profit for others not themselves, the eat from the corporate machine daily, get sick pay the corporate medical system, end up broke, never retire

So I say... let them drop dead, keep your kids home, jobs for the corporate world is a life as either task master or slave and a life that assures Cancer through it's unnatural behavior.

The first education a child needs is "HOW TO THINK FOR THEMSELVES" that includes a choice of how to eat, breathe and the hours they work, when to get some extra work and when to work extra hard so they are Balanced, Healthy, Stress Free and Content.

If your township demands they go to school or your punished at the very least co-operate with your kids to "play hookey" or enroll them in "Home schooling" or even just move.... because lets face it, if you live in a community of drones your never going to be free anyway

There is only one way the corporate-dictatorship feudal system falls.... self employment, School is bs, as if you can't "read" after First grade? What are we retarded? The only reason in a day of internet everyone is an idiot is because they have made learning feel horrible before we reach puberty, what we call "school... is no "Education" I'm not interested in hiring idiots.. and that's what you get when anyone defines their education as x hrs for a piece of paper and never studies again... learning is a life process called "reading" and "research" the second of those 2 skills isn't even taught until age 18 IF you go take a massive debt in University after already being brainwashed into not thinking anyway

Seriously TEACH YOUR KIDS, start by setting an example... work for yourself, shop online from other self employed individuals... if you don't work for them and don't shop through them... They Die

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: criticalhit

Well good for you.

I had a business. A few of my customers had home schooled kids. I hated those kids. They had no respect for where they were (in my store). They touched and played with everything, because EVERYTHING is educational. They were rude and loud, because they were free to be who they are. They interrupted when I was talking to a customer, etc etc etc.

Parenting is needed, no matter how you raise your child. Most people today live in a crowded society. Knowing how to be a part of that society without disrupting it, is as important as being a free thinker. Both are doable.

Public school is not perfect, I know, I'm a thinker and questioner. But, it has it's purpose --- and that is to make sure every child is literate and has basic knowledge. No, it does not teach a child to think. That's up to the parent.

My 6 year old grandson already knows the word discretion. We live in a multifaceted society. One does not fit all or everything. He already knows: "Your friend does not invite you back to play, his parent does". In other words, he needs to respect the rules of each household he visits.

However, this situation is about "stealing tax dollars". If your kid goes to public school, that kid is included in the budget of that school. If the kid is not there, the school does not get the allotted money for that kid.

If you are an entrepreneur, then you should definitely understand working with a tight budget.

EDIT: I'm not generalizing all homeschooled kids, but this was my personal experience.

edit on 19-6-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: criticalhit
I am an Entrepreneur.

I work a lot, but I work when I want to, I haven't had to crap on a toilet I haven't wanted to in 22 years, I haven't had to "go in" sick in my entire adult life, I can get sun when I want to, I can eat the food I choose to, I don't have any one causing me stress on a daily basis, don't breathe conditioned air or live under artificial light

If you choose your kids to "go to school every day" then you choose for them to be trained into a bs degree, a huge debt and a "job" for a large corporation... that is what "school is for... it is to be trained into a schedule in which they make profit for others not themselves, the eat from the corporate machine daily, get sick pay the corporate medical system, end up broke, never retire

So I say... let them drop dead, keep your kids home, jobs for the corporate world is a life as either task master or slave and a life that assures Cancer through it's unnatural behavior.

The first education a child needs is "HOW TO THINK FOR THEMSELVES" that includes a choice of how to eat, breathe and the hours they work, when to get some extra work and when to work extra hard so they are Balanced, Healthy, Stress Free and Content.

Seriously TEACH YOUR KIDS, start by setting an example... work for yourself, shop online from other self employed individuals... if you don't work for them and don't shop through them... They Die

I have a question...do you have kids?

I think not..

To quote Malcom X - "Without education, you're not going anywhere in this world."
edit on PM4Thu20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join