It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaving My Mark

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Hello, everyone! I actually joined ATS a little while ago, but I failed to create an introductory post. My name is Troy and I consider myself to be a budding writer. In a few months, I will hold a bachelors in Creative Writing for Entertainment...

*pause to watch daughter playing a phonics game*

My life is busy, and full of distractions. It has been a rough two-and-a-half years of nonstop college classes, but finally, I am approaching my goal...

*turn attention to wife who demands that I choose an outfit for my daughter*

Family + Job + Online Classes = Next to no personal time!

For those of you that crave smaller details, I have three children (a fourth on the way), by job I mean I'm in the military, I live in South Carolina for the time being, Xbox over Playstation, I love Magic The Gathering, Joe Abercrombie is a god in Literature, I'm a lover of Lovecraft, Mac over PC (Apple over Android goes without saying), and I'm a sucker for a good conspiracy/theory. Almost any post with a good story is game. That's what drew me to ATS.

It all started with a good thread on Flat Earth Theory. This lead to Concave Earth Theory and Hollow Earth Theory, which branched off into Aliens, Reptilians, and other government conspiracies. These branches all connect with threads on ancient civilizations, forgotten technologies, and even Sandy Hook. I could go on, but I am sure you all are well versed on the rabbit in which I traversed. Like I said, I'm a writer so any well constructed thread is fresh inspiration for a new story.

For example, I used the Flat Earth Theory to construct a story grounded in reality and steeped in familiar mythology. This is the logline and a taste of the game script I threw together for a class I was taking:

"Genius and former convict Michael Mayes evades a lifetime in prison by agreeing to use his extraordinary gifts to decipher a dead language discovered in Antarctica, but little does he know that his tinkering will tear down the veil between worlds pitting him against ancient Norse gods and Ragnarok in a fight that could be the end of mankind."

"INTRO CUTSCENE:

The beginning scene is blinding white, with the sound of howling winds steadily increasing. Slowly, shapes and colors begin to give form to a team of five scientists trekking across a bleached landscape, snow flurries swirling about them. As the camera focus sharpens, massive stone monuments begin to appear in the background scattered about like rows of teeth protruding through the permafrost. The ground is no longer a solid sheet of ice and snow as tufts of greens and yellows and the deep browns of dirt and rocks begin to sprout in the path ahead of them.

The camera changes to the view from MICHAEL’s handheld camera. A date and time can be seen on screen as the camera view waves around focusing on JACK and CAMERON. They appear aggravated.

Jack
(to the camera)
You know, they’ll never let you keep this footage.

Michael
Yeah, but I can study it while we’re here and try to decipher some of these symbols.

Cameron
(to the camera, sarcastic)
Thanks for reminding me. I almost forgot why the # you’re here.

Michael
(indignant)
# you, Cameron!

Cameron stops walking and turns to face the camera.

Cameron
(to the camera)
Let me ask you something, Michael. After you’ve deciphered all of these ancient languages, what then? What #ing good are you?

Cameron turns and walks away from the camera. We hear Michael sigh and then quickly turn the camera to face DON and CARL.

Don
(to the camera)
Save it, Michael. Cameron’s right. The only reason you’re here and not federal prison is because you can read all of this scribble-scrabble.

Don pushes past Michael. Carl looks at the camera and shrugs before following in his footsteps. We hear another sigh from Michael and a tiny beep as the camera screen flicks off.

The camera comes back to following the team of scientists as they approach one of the stone monuments. Runes, symbols, and hieroglyphics cover the entire face of the obelisk. Michael hastily advances towards the stone. He removes his gloves and takes out a small notepad and pencil.

Michael
(excited)
Do you guys see this? There are hundreds of different languages here. Some I recognize and some I don’t. This could be the new Rosetta Stone!

Jack
There’s hundreds, if not thousands of these stones scattered in every direction.

Jack lifts a cigarette to his mouth and flicks his lighter a few times igniting the tobacco. He takes a puff and exhales.

Jack
As far as we can tell, all of them are covered in the same symbols.

Michael
(pointing at the stone)
Yeah, but this doesn’t make any sense. Here there’s Sumerian, Mayan, Runor… None of these civilizations existed in the same time or geographical locations. Who put these here, and of all places, why Antarctica?

Jack
Well, if the languages didn’t bleed together we wouldn’t need you here to decipher that for us, would we?

Michael ignores the snide remark and begins scribbling on his notepad. Don and Carl struggle to set up a tent in the background, while Cameron barks random orders at them. Quizzically, Jack watches Michael work. A few moments later, Michael waves Jack over and begins to point out many different symbols.

Michael
(pointing at the stone)
This stands for ‘giant’ or ‘titan,’ while this stands for ‘land’ or ‘dwelling.’ And if you come down here, this symbol means ‘god’ or ‘avatar.’ Then here, you have ‘land’ again followed by ‘man’ or ‘mortal.’

Jack
(to Michael)
So what does it mean?

Michael
Hang on.

Quickly, he copies a few more symbols onto his notepad.

Michael
(looking at his notepad, then tracing his finger across the etched stone)
Okay, this is a rough translation, but without further study this says, ‘Beware the land of giants for here dwells the avatars of the gods who seek dominion over all the lands of mortal men.’ The rest of it I don’t recognize.

A monstrous howl followed by the other scientists’ screams and shouts startles them. The camera shifts to the direction of the cries to reveal blue-skinned giants with horns and gnashing teeth attacking the campsite.

Carl is dangling by his ankle from one of the giants’ hands. Another giant walks by giving Carl a quick glance before ripping one of his arms off. Carl’s screams are short-lived as his blood paints the frozen earth beneath him. A sickening crunch is heard as another giant sinks its teeth into his skull.

Don passes out and hits the snow, quickly followed by another giant crushing him beneath its feet. Reality hits Cameron full-force in the face.

Cameron
(scared, yelling at Michael & Jack)
Run!

Cameron pulls a pistol from his breast pocket and manages to squeeze off a few rounds before one of the giants pummels him so hard that his body soars into the pillar beside Michael and Jack. SPLAT! Blood showers over them.

The world slows almost to a halt and sound becomes muffled echoes. Michael turns towards Jack’s frantic tugging at his sleeve. Jack’s mouth moves but no words come out. Michael turns back towards the scene of carnage and reality quickly returns to its normal pace.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Jack
(panicked, yelling at Michael)
-out of it! Michael!

Jack slaps Michael across the face.

Jack
Michael, run!

Exit intro cutscene."

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or simply just want to chew the fat. I can be reached on Twitter, Facebook, or my Blog.

For now, I have to go. A busy life calls to me!
edit on 12-6-2014 by DecoyTroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DecoyTroy

DecoyTroy, welcome to ATS enjoy your stay...

NAMASTE*******

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Welcome! And remember ...

"Brevity is the soul of wit."

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: DecoyTroy

Welcome to ATS...enjoy the ride.

Des

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Welcome aboard, young one.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS have fun and debate responsibly

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Nice intro. Welcome, brother!!

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Thank you for all the warm welcomes! I look forward to posting and sifting through the rabbit hole that is ATS.

new topics

top topics

join