It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does America have the Stomach for a New War in Iraq?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   
O.k.

As the news will have filtered through to you all that militants islamic extreamists have captured two cities in iraq including Mosul which is just 80km away from Bagdad.... with more than 500'000 people feeing thier homes...

My question is...

Does America have the Stomach for another WAR in Iraq??

Can the Global community financially support this action???

And what are the repercussions of not doing something about it???

This is very very dangerous times for us all.... Sometimes I wish a large meteor would wipe Iraq off the face of the planet and be done with it.

Korg.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Korg Trinity

No. There's no stomach for another war in Iraq. What we have to understand is that when Bush sent his 'Coalition' forces in (some coalition - the US, UK and the Federated States of Micronesia!) we lit the blue touch paper that has led to this moment. If you read 'Fiasco' by Thomas E Ricks you can see that the writing was on the wall from the start. The Bush White House did not understand Iraq's makeup, did not understand the divisions present in the country, did not have a good plan to win the war, made a hash of the occupation and then progressively screwed up everything else. Maliki is a sectarian leader with a sectarian Shia agenda. He is not the right leader for the job. This can only end well if Maliki goes and Iraq gets a leader who wants to unify instead of rule by dividing. The Sunnis need to be brought back into the fold - not an easy task at all.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   
America should fix their own problems first.

2nd line.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   

I have the stomach for it when I read articles like this from the NY Post:

Iraq Said to Seek US Strike on Militants

I believe in helping those who seek help from those who are able to give help. Which in this case, Iraq is asking for US help which we are capable of providing - and that's not to discount the problems we have in the US - but refuse to provide.

Also I feel it is a crap on the grave of every US soldier who died in Iraq which has degenerated since we pulled. That is not to be taken as a statement that I supported or did not support our going into to Iraq after 9/11.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

No. There's no stomach for another war in Iraq. What we have to understand is that when Bush sent his 'Coalition' forces in (some coalition - the US, UK and the Federated States of Micronesia!) we lit the blue touch paper that has led to this moment. If you read 'Fiasco' by Thomas E Ricks you can see that the writing was on the wall from the start. The Bush White House did not understand Iraq's makeup, did not understand the divisions present in the country, did not have a good plan to win the war, made a hash of the occupation and then progressively screwed up everything else. Maliki is a sectarian leader with a sectarian Shia agenda. He is not the right leader for the job. This can only end well if Maliki goes and Iraq gets a leader who wants to unify instead of rule by dividing. The Sunnis need to be brought back into the fold - not an easy task at all.

I totally Agree......

I couldn't agree more!!!

The sad thing is the human cost will be enormous. and not just in Iraq...

I predict that this will lead to a new round of major terrorist attacks on US soil....

I have been watching 24 and the parallels in that program with what is going on in the world is amazing... I wonder if we will ever really see a nuke going off on us soil...

All because of the hornets nest Bush Kicked into life.

Korg.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Does America have the Stomach for another WAR in Iraq??

First time they came, they milked, they left, no reason for the US to go back as they also failed and they probably couldn't care less about the country future as they "got what they wanted the first time".

Can the Global community financially support this action???

You mean can you and i financially support this action...No, i have nothing left to support more useless wars.

And what are the repercussions of not doing something about it???

Only time will tell as we are dealing with islamic extremist, probably some "WMD".

This is very very dangerous times for us all.

Sure is...but not because of Iraq the country, but we are dealing with islamic extremist.

Sometimes I wish a large meteor would wipe Iraq off the face of the planet and be done with it.

Iraq and the "normal population" is not the problem, islamic extremist is, should i wish for a wipeout of the US for the countless of useless wars they have started or "going to start" in the name of democracy claiming more death and destruction for innocent people and US/EU soldiers, thats not very fair to the hard working "normal population of the US".

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

A reasonable appraisal, in short.

The Iraqi government is still heavily split down ethnic lines and is doomed to fail, unless of course sense and reason prevail. I suspect I've got more chances of winning the lottery before that happens.

The US needs to pull it's head in. Bearing in mind that it practically started this bullsh!t starting with the Iran/Contra fiasco. Contrary to the Neocons in the US you can't just make up reality as you want it to be. That was an absurd statement then as much as it would be now.

I imagine it's more of a case of having the stomach to stay out as opposed to getting involved.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   
My stomach says, WHO IS GOING TO PAY FOR ANOTHER WAR? We can't raise the taxes on the precious rich and the working person is one paycheck away from broke.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

I agree...

But who will pay for the wave after wave of terror attacks that must surely come as a result of doing nothing?

Korg.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I think the U.S. needs to go to war with itself, before it gets involved anywhere else. Nobody can afford police action or invasion or occupation or whatever they'd try to call it.

Nobody wants it and I can imagine now the of politicians with bullet holes in them if they made the attempt.

It's a vastly different world to the one we lived in a decade ago.. We're still stupid and clueless, but far less than we all were then. It would take an enormous terrorist event and even then, is America really that stupid to fall for it again?

I really don't think they or the rest of the world are.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Nope. There is precisely zero chance in this reality we all share, which would see U.S. combat soldiers return to Iraq for anything but the evacuation of remaining U.S. people and dependents. That? We may see sooner than we'd have believed possible.

These guys are on a roll and accelerating.

** I wouldn't want troops going back anyway. We arrived with at least ground troops in a liberating mood with positive outlooks. We'd be returning to suppress a problem, and that is all the wrong reason to unleash the U.S. Military. It would be worse than anything during the war, IMO.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   
It's not just Iraq, but also the Taliban will walk straight back in once we have all left Afghanistan as well. Then there is Libya who is struggling to contain extremists engulfing some of their regions. Then is Syria, where I believe that the west should be assisting the Syrian government to wipe the extremists out. How can we fight against islamic extremists in one campaign and then back them at the same time in another? This all goes much further than just Bush I think, how can we lose on every front after so many years, lives and dollars!

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Who will pay? Probably Iran and american heroin junkies.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

Who will pay? Probably Iran and american heroin junkies.

I hadn't considered the opium trade.. Nice lateral thinking!

Korg.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy

Extremists are taking advantage of the fact that its foes have no real stomach for the sort of brutal force it would take to rid them. Not to mention that, in military terms and politics aside, Iran would have to be dealt with old school.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy

How can we loose?

Did we?

1: Our govt has chaos in the region, we have a permanent source of "terrorists" to use in order to keep draconian control over the populace...

2: Incensed the "hardcore" extremists have grown massively in numbers assuring these regions will never modernize

3: A collapse of Iraq almost Begs Iran to get involved and give us the excuse to train wreck the last nation in the Islamic world in any condition to stand up to anyone.. or screw with the Petro Dollar

Loose? why? were we fighting to free oppressed people or bring Democracy? Or is our goal to keep the region stone age, hold on to the petro dollar and assure no actual power arises in the region?

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:54 AM
link   

You can't invade a country because of a terrorist attack, that's the sort of thing that got us all in the crap hole in the first place.

I live in Australia. The next time there's a big terrorist attack in America why don't you all come get us? Terrorism is not executed by one state against another, so Australia is as good a place as any to invade and wreck. Maybe invade .a nice new island - Hawaii is getting a bit full.

Quite frankly, if America doesn't sort it's own people out that think it's actually OK to invade other countries over and over and over and friggin over again then I'll be happy to become a damn terrorist myself.

The result of doing nothing is letting them implode and live like animals. There's nothing that can be done.
edit on 12-6-2014 by BasementWarriorKryptonite because: shtty grammar but don't panic

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

Perhaps. One of the most telling pieces of graffiti I have ever seen;

"USA OUT OF NORTH AMERICA", Brisbane, Queensland. OZ, Circa 2005.

I am not suggesting that be the case, however, it should be obvious to all and sundry that things need to change. That's what it looks like from the outside anyway.

Does the US have the stomach to deal with it's own problems let alone Iraq's. If I knew that I'd refer you to my lottery ticket.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell
edit on 12-6-2014 by myselfaswell because: detail

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   

We have had boots in other countries since WW2 and spending our national funds in other countries since then. None of our wars or interference has changed the hearts of terrorists and never will.

We must prepare our own borders, spend our money and be ready for attacks HERE.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

We must prepare our own borders, spend our money and be ready for attacks HERE.

I'd say that's a very realistic assessment of our current situation.

Unfortunately, I think it is accurate.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join