It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Obama going to side-step Congress again, for possible Obamacare bailout??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Republicans warn ObamaCare rule tweak could trigger taxpayer bailout of insurers

Seems as though Obama may use billions of taxpayers money for ObamaCare to bail out insurance companies, which risks violating federal law
by going around Congress......again

Top congressional Republicans warned the Obama administration Tuesday it risks violating federal law if it proceeds with a backup plan to transfer "potentially billions" in taxpayer dollars into ObamaCare to bail out insurance companies.

The Affordable Care Act was originally signed into law with a provision that allows the government to cover insurers that lose money by paying them from a pool of cash collected from insurers that turned a profit.

However, administration officials made a rule change in May to the so-called "risk corridors" program that, Republicans say, would allow them to use taxpayer funds from other federal programs -- GOP lawmakers say that's a decision only Congress can make.

“It is plain that under current law, the Obama administration does not have the ability to divert money from programs that Congress has funded,” Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions, the top Republican on the Senate Budget Committee, told FoxNews.com in a statement. “Congress alone was given the power of the purse -- the power to appropriate funds. Yet again, the administration is circumventing Congress and seeking to write its own laws."

Sessions and Michigan GOP Rep. Fred Upton, chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, told newly confirmed Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia Matthews Burwell in a letter on Tuesday that executing the new rule “would constitute an unlawful transfer of potentially billions of taxpayer dollars to insurers.”

Sessions' and Upton’s letter also states that HHS could be held in violation of the Antideficiency Act for making such transfers. The law was enacted by Congress in the late 1880s to keep the federal government from entering into contracts that were not already fully funded by an appropriation.

edit on 11-6-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   
"What difference does it make?"
Amirite?

It certainly wouldn't be the first time and I highly doubt it will be the last time. He has a pen and a phone and damn it... he's going to use them however he sees fit.

It would be too much to hope that Obamacare would just drive itself off a cliff I guess. Nothing that comes to light with the ACA could shock me at this point. What is shocking is the number of people that keep lobbying for this train wreck to continue.
edit on 6/11/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I can't remember who, but seems like I remember reading on here a joke about Obamacare 'bailout' when the first problems stared after it launched

And now this....whoever said it called it right!!
What a nightmare that thing has become

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   
They have stonewalled Obama nearly his entire time in office. I do not blame him for pushing his powers to their limit to make things happen. As long as he is doing so within the laws of the US you can all go cry yourselves to sleep over it. If he does push it to far and actually breaks a law then he can cry his self to sleep in jail after his term.

Everyone pounced on him for not leading and now they are crying while he has decided to lead. Can't have it both ways.

edit on 11-6-2014 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

and now they are crying while he has decided to lead

Where is he leading us? That is the problem.

He promised savings of $2,500/family. Sounds like it is going to cost most people a lot more.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Everyone pounced on him for not leading and now they are crying while he has decided to lead. Can't have it both ways. -

Who said he was leading now????

Just because he crammed Obamacare down our throats doesn't mean he's a leader!!
It just mean he's a liar, for misleading the public about it in order to get re-elected

Romney called him on it and no one would listen to him
Well, guess who was right? It's sure was NOT Obama...

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

Not sure what your talking about. Yes Obama care needs tweaking and changing but it is working. AFA us meeting goals and people are signing up. ACA is not failing it is doing very well. I do not like AFA as it is but it is actually working.

What did he lie about? You can keep your current plan? Yeah well maybe he made a mistake or maybe he lied but that does not indicate AFA is bad or doing badly. It is accomplishing the goals it was designed to accomplish.

It was designed to put the greedy insurance companies out of business. This is not a failure. it is working as intended. Actually the goal is to drive it to single pay system where Government is soul insurance but that will take awhile.

We can certainly argue that government being only insurance could be a bad thing but it will be cheaper.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   
why should the government make us pay for insurance? why not give us a 10% tax for Social Services, and then gives us free health care completely? I don't like the ACA I saw my insurance go up 800 dollars over it. while its fine if you cant afford it health care, us middle of the road people are getting screwed.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   
This was Obama's plan all along.

This is the "gateway" to single-payer and total government control over our healthcare.

Just imagine the US healthcare run by the VA.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
a reply to: snarky412

Not sure what your talking about. Yes Obama care needs tweaking and changing but it is working. AFA us meeting goals and people are signing up. ACA is not failing it is doing very well. I do not like AFA as it is but it is actually working.

What did he lie about? You can keep your current plan? Yeah well maybe he made a mistake or maybe he lied but that does not indicate AFA is bad or doing badly. It is accomplishing the goals it was designed to accomplish.

It was designed to put the greedy insurance companies out of business. This is not a failure. it is working as intended. Actually the goal is to drive it to single pay system where Government is soul insurance but that will take awhile.

We can certainly argue that government being only insurance could be a bad thing but it will be cheaper.

Drive the insurance companies out of business? Are you high? Did you not just read the OP. Obamacare is designed to bail insurance companies out so they DON'T go out of business and according to the OP Obama is trying to appropriate funds from other sources to do this. A backdoor bailout so to speak.

Liberals who say that Obamacare is designed to go towards a single payer system are deluding themselves. First off this bill was WRITTEN by the insurance companies. What makes you think they would write a bill to willingly put themselves out of business? Second, if you haven't been paying attention during Obama's entire presidency, he does EVERYTHING in his power NOT to let corporations go out of business, taxpayers and their money be damned. Obamacare was conceived with the idea to make the insurance companies happy while providing insurance to more people in America, win-win for both parties. However, in implementation, that didn't work out well and it looks like this bill is just a disaster.

One more thing, in order for us to go towards a single payer system, Obamacare would have to fail completely. It would have to be a last desperation move to save the country, because if this bill goes down, it will take our economy with it. Putting the insurance companies out of business would put TONS of people out of work. These corporations provide many jobs for many Americans, and destroying that industry (no matter how corrupt...) would probably push us right back into a recession if it doesn't outright destroy the economy. Single payer is probably the last thing on their minds right now. That is why Obama keeps going around Congress *cough cough*breaking the law*cough cough* to "fix" Obamacare, not make it fail quicker.
edit on 11-6-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
The three articles of impeachment leveled against Nixon: obstruction of justice, abuse of power, and contempt of Congress.

And why are these exact same charges not being leveled today?

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412
Is Obama going to side-step Congress again

Is this even a question any more?

0bama will continue to side step as he sees fit .

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Every time I turn around, something else is going wrong with the ACA.
Every time I turn around, Obama is breaking the law.
Can't wait to see how bad the next president will be, after we let this one off the hook so many times and allowed him to play emperor for 8 years

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Obama I don't care already is forcing the "productive working class that always had insurance" pay for the whole obamacare.

We all knew that the darn thing was going to fail due to lack of support and money.

This will be the second bailout to the insurance companies because handling by mandate the tax payer into the hands of the companies WAS the first bailout. He will darn the tax payers and kill the economy rather than forfeit his Obamacrap because that is actually the only legacy he will have after he is gone from office beside the fact that he will be into history as the first black American president.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Except for he has broken numerous laws. Yet free he still is.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
As long as he is doing so within the laws of the US you can all go cry yourselves to sleep over it.

He DID break a law!

If he does push it to far and actually breaks a law then he can cry his self to sleep in jail after his term.

Its not going to happen, because there are too many democrats who won't vote to impeach him.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: CloudsTasteMetallic
The three articles of impeachment leveled against Nixon: obstruction of justice, abuse of power, and contempt of Congress.

And why are these exact same charges not being leveled today?

The GOP is waiting on the opportunity when filing articles of impeachment will be most effective. They're probably waiting till after November. Impeachment will be voted on. Democrats control the senate. So now isn't a good time.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

He promised savings of $2,500/family. Sounds like it is going to cost most people a lot more.

He is leading us to a far better world than the republicans and Bush were.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

you can't force me to buy something. The way Obama did this is forcing me to buy something. What part of that do you not understand? Buy or pay the fine.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: damwel

originally posted by: butcherguy

He is leading us to a far better world than the republicans and Bush were.

You can keep thinking that they are two different parties leading us in separate directions if you want, you will fit in with the majority of the public. That is how they maintain their stranglehold on political power in this country.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join