It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Battle

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
First off, let me give you some background. I've gone to Catholic private schools all my life and have, for the last several years in my educatory life, viewed certain policies as more than a bit fishy and beyond probable reason. Last year, when I was a freshmen in my Catholic high school of Bishop Kelly, I convinced the administration after months of battle to relax the dress code. This year I hope to further the battle.

In our school code, piercings for men are prohibited in any way, shape, or form while totally tolerated in women. This, as you should see, is very societally hypocritical as well as blatantly sexist.

Anyway, I am in a quandry. I can fight the battle preemptively against a new administration (the principle quit after I we worked out the change to the code), which is much more stern (About a month ago, a group of me and my friends protested to him for allowing only Pro-Life tshirts and not Pro-Choice tshirts in which he quickly shot us down with his obligatory nonsense). In this technique, I can use a pacifist campaign technique of flyers and letters. Unfortunately, this is not particularly likely to get through to them.

In the other case, I can get the piercings I desire in my ear and wait for an admistrator to confront me. In which case I would undoubtedly refuse to remove the earring and would be sent to the head-honchos. The problem here is that knowing myself, I would get my friends at the ACLU involved. Could get ugly.

Anyway, do you have any suggestions?

[edit on 30-11-2004 by iceofspades]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
My suggestion is to forego the body mutilation, with the attendant risks of infection, ridicule, and being out of style when the fashion changes.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Do any of the females in charge have earings? If so, ask them why it is allowed for femals when the bible states that "thou shalt make no cuts in your flesh"?

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
First of all where the hell did you get that verse that said "Thou shalt not cut into thy flesh?" find the verse and i'll see how BS that translation was. Anyway back to the main point... HEy queer quit acting like a jackass and be a man and accept some authority, they are not even asking that much of you, you are going to a PRIVATE school and they can create their own rules. NOt everyone has to be a queer like you and run around acting like an idiot proclaiming Liberal BS about Pro-choice and such forth. ABORTION is DEATH AND MURDER OK?!?!?!? thats like wearing a t-shirt saying Pro-Choice for mudering someone on the street. WTF is wrong with your head, get a life and quit acting like a whiny democrat, man yall are such i would rather than ever ever become such a whacked up moron who thinks that he can boss around authority and act like a little biotch bc he can, and to have the audacity to say that "hey lets wear shirts that say we can choose to muder or not legally" have a nice day moronic democrat!

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I'd watch out for the mods, Joe! By the way, it's people like you who impede the progress of society. It's people like you who do not question authority simply because it claims to be the authority. Imagine if the founding fathers of America did all that Britain told them to do simply because it was the "authority". BTW, calling me moronic is hypocritical on your part.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Oh, thanks Joe! I just sprayed soda all over my monitor! ...lol

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlexofSkye
...with the attendant risks of infection, ridicule, and being out of style when the fashion changes.

Infection: Statistically more people have incurred physical harm during gym class than from piercings.

Ridicule: Ya really think I care?

Being out of style: That's the great thing about ear piercing, its ultimately only temporary.

Joehead
(Insert nonsensical ramblings here)

Yes, I am a queer. No I am not Pro-Choice but Pro-Freedom of Expression. No, I am not a democrat. Have a nice day!

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Uh...it's a private school. Instead of trying to protest and fight the power every time you turn around, try to learn a few things, because, it is a school after all, and then, the fact that it's a private school might start to make a little more sense.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by cubiehole
Uh...it's a private school. Instead of trying to protest and fight the power every time you turn around, try to learn a few things, because, it is a school after all, and then, the fact that it's a private school might start to make a little more sense.

True, it is a private school. However, being private does not place them above the Constitution. And at that it's not even a constitutional issue as much as it is a sexual equality issue. Women fought for equality for years; why shouldn't it be equal now?

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by iceofspades
True, it is a private school. However, being private does not place them above the Constitution.

Yes...that is true but its rules not laws. Are you allowed to cuss during your classes? Because that is free speach is it not? Are you allowed to smoke during classes or on school property?

In my opinon, you should leave the school if you are not happy with how they run things. Like I said they are just rules.

Women fought for equality for years; why shouldn't it be equal now?

What is degrading women? The fact that they can wear ear rings and males can't? Wasn't it up until the past 2 or so decades that men didn't wear ear rings? Just because fashion changes doesn't mean rules have to be changed.

[edit on 12/3/2004 by hatchedcross]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The women get to wear earrings.
The men get to be priests.
How about both get to do both ?

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by hatchedcross

Are you allowed to cuss during your classes? Because that is free speach is it not?

Yes, as a matter of fact we are for the simple reason that it is indeed free speech.

Are you allowed to smoke during classes or on school property?

Oh please, very different caliber issues.

In my opinon, you should leave the school if you are not happy with how they run things. Like I said they are just rules.

Leave or reform? It sounds like a similar question to leaving America because Bush was elected. The fact that it is not right does not mean I'll simply leave. Unlike some, I fight for what is right.

What is degrading women? The fact that they can wear ear rings and males can't? Wasn't it up until the past 2 or so decades that men didn't wear ear rings? Just because fashion changes doesn't mean rules have to be changed.

If you took the time to read my post properly, you would see my post was not about the degradation of women's equality but men's equality. And actually men (as well as women) have been wearing earrings since the dawn of time, not a few decades ago. Again I notice you not addressing the issue of freedom of expression. Regardless of fashion, it is the duty of American society and organization to allow this freedom. Especially when no one is harmed by it.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by iceofspades
Originally posted by hatchedcross
Are you allowed to smoke during classes or on school property?

Oh please, very different caliber issues.

I was trying to point out that there are rules.

Leave or reform? It sounds like a similar question to leaving America because Bush was elected. The fact that it is not right does not mean I'll simply leave.

Relocating to another country is alot different than simply switching schools. I mean you have to find a new house, new school anyways, new jobs, new friends anyways, and other things.

And actually men (as well as women) have been wearing earrings since the dawn of time, not a few decades ago.

I know that. I was saying that for most of the 1900s and late 1800s it wasn't right for a man to wear ear rings. That is when most likelythis school was built and when the rules were thought up.

If you took the time to read my post properly, you would see my post was not about the degradation of women's equality but men's equality.

So if the guys wanted to were dresses or skirts to they should be able to? It may be sexist but it is how things are. There seem to be somethings that men are able to do that women aren't and things women can do that men can't whether they are physically able to or not.

Again I notice you not addressing the issue of freedom of expression. Regardless of fashion, it is the duty of American society and organization to allow this freedom. Especially when no one is harmed by it.

My point was that people might not want to have certain things in places they own. Its called a dress code. And who to say seeing a guy with an ear ring doesn't offend and make some old guy get sick? I doubt that would happen. But there are rules and they should be followed.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Now are the piercings a preference, or do you just wish to challenge authority? I had five piercings in each ear before, but I grew out of it. I got them all at once: hurt like hell.

Leviticus 21:5 "(3) They shall not make any baldness on their heads, (4) nor shave off the edges of their beards, (5) nor make any cuts in their flesh."

[edit on 4-12-2004 by Mephorium]

[edit on 4-12-2004 by Mephorium]

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   

I was trying to point out that there are rules.

I understand.

Relocating to another country is alot different than simply switching schools. I mean you have to find a new house, new school anyways, new jobs, new friends anyways, and other things.

My point was it's easier to change what's wrong from the inside than the outside.

I know that. I was saying that for most of the 1900s and late 1800s it wasn't right for a man to wear ear rings. That is when most likelythis school was built and when the rules were thought up.

Exactly. The rules are old and outdated.

So if the guys wanted to were dresses or skirts to they should be able to? It may be sexist but it is how things are. There seem to be somethings that men are able to do that women aren't and things women can do that men can't whether they are physically able to or not.

Yes. And believe it or not, our school allows men wearing skirts. If you were wondering, they allow women to wear pants too.

Some things that women are able to do and men are not? As you said, physically not, such as birthing, but that doesn't quite relate to my argument.

My point was that people might not want to have certain things in places they own. Its called a dress code. And who to say seeing a guy with an ear ring doesn't offend and make some old guy get sick? I doubt that would happen. But there are rules and they should be followed.

And if what they want in their place is outright discriminatory? What then? This is why Arab women are allowed to wear their outfits in the workplace. Because if they were not it would be discriminatory. Regardless of a so-called dress code. And I could care less if some old guy is offended by an earring. When I said it should be allowed if no one is harmed by it, I was referring to physical injury, not some old man's prejudice.

Now are the piercings a preference, or do you just wish to challenge authority? I had five piercings in each ear before, but I grew out of it. I got them all at once: hurt like hell.

Leviticus 21:5 "(3) They shall not make any baldness on their heads, (4) nor shave off the edges of their beards, (5) nor make any cuts in their flesh."

I actually find them quite attractive which is why I am pursuing one. And about the bible quote, I don't know if you know but there were countless participants in the book who had piercings and were condoned by god.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Get yerself some punk rock.
Uh...the only respectable thing to do is be true to yourself. Whether that means acting upon youthful whim or cooperating to avoid trouble.
Just make sure that it makes for an awesome story to tell the grandkids one day.

Um seriously get yourself that self titled Bad Brains album. Get some Minor Threat or Black Flag. Hey your even young enough to get away with the Op Ivy!

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by duh squared
Just make sure that it makes for an awesome story to tell the grandkids one day.

Um seriously get yourself that self titled Bad Brains album. Get some Minor Threat or Black Flag. Hey your even young enough to get away with the Op Ivy!

I like your philosophy!

I also took your advice and downloaded some music from those artists. All I can say is not bad. I would probably appreciate it more but I'm not a big punk fan. It certainly is nice to hear music with a cause though.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   
No, I didn't know that, about the piercings, thanks for the info. That quote was for our friend, JoeHead.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I hate to say it Ice, but I don't think you are going to win this. These are the rules at the school and I doubt they will budge on them. First off, with the way the Catholic church looks at homosexuality it's going to be very hard to get anything past that could even remotely hint at it. It's sad to say that wearing an earing could cause them that much distress, with them, but I can guarntee it will. Secondly, they will not forget that you were able to get them to bend on the dress code so this will be blown out of proportion. Be very careful here because they will try to make you look like the bad guy. I have had my fair share of run-in's with Catholic church to know that they will not bend on these archaic rules.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Aw come on! "Back in school, you ever get busted for tryin to walk?" -op ivy

Don't let the system get ya down man. You know if you are a good person or not. Self expression is a right- sadly it is a right, not permitted by many institutions and occupations.

Im with you Ice, make waves, just make sure you don't get in so much trouble they put you in military school
!

Once you are out of school, you don't need accept any bs that tries to inhibit you from expressing who you are.

*whispers* Stick it to da man, Ice...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join