It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Greed the theme throughout the Universe?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: mrdeadfolx
It's so simple and yet those few of us that are driven by selfish desires and their inexhaustible greed make it more difficult for the rest of us to co-exist with one another. I can't say I know the answer to my own question either but if this is the theme that dominates all existence, then I'm not terribly impressed by it.

I don't buy a lot of your lovey dovey stuff and how our Universe was created by it, but I do agree that once the greed disease affects a few of us, the symptoms appear in all of us.

What killed those 3 mounties in Moncton NB?

Greed did, because people freaking out are a product of this world, the explanation is difficult, but in a world of greedy winners, there are sore losers and some have seething hate inside ready to boil over.
Would these things happen where all wealth was equal and life....
(Sorry major pre-coffee, just got out of bed writers block happening here)

Anyway, we worship the greedy, we keep them out of our jails and prisons, we give them all the breaks, we want to be them, we give them importance, we make them politicians, yet they are the ones who take all the pie and leave the crumbs for the rest of us to fight over (for a price of course)

(Gets back to coffee)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Interesting question.

Greed is a symbiotic process of human negative type human emotions as well.

Lust Envy Hatred Fear Panic

But the answer to your question from my perspective is "In our Universe" the one we can quantify, in our limited capacity as humans, it appears that Greed is indeed universal.

Above poster hit the nail on the head. "We worship greed" also we pacify it's existence by selective ignoring.
edit on 8-6-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: mrdeadfolx

I like to think of it as a dualistic balance like The Force. There is both light and dark one cannot exist without the other.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Yes.

But it is often called extremism now.

I suppose everything is supposed to have a gray twilight like color to it.

One cannot be happy all of the time, and those who refuse to accept this fact tend to self medicate to kill the pain of existence in this wonderful, pain riddled and cruel universe.

I think it is a most beautiful thing to be here...

Gee, I sound like I'm on drugs...

reply to: SilverStarGazer

edit on 8-6-2014 by MyHappyDogShiner because: ihb

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: mrdeadfolx

Greed is another effect of an even greater theme. The root theme of this existence is "The Self". The very idea that we are all individual creatures with nothing that binds us beyond blood relation is the very cause of greed. If there was only one person, or better yet, if everyone knew they were only One Person there would be no such thing as greed. Greed can only be relative when two conflicting ideals come in to contact such as "This food is MINE, not YOURS".

Thousands of people on this planet have surpassed greed by seeking inwardly and finding the Truth of existence. That Truth is we are All One, we are all God, it was the introduction of the belief that we are not God experiencing Himself that has lead to the rise of all 7 deadly sins.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I am coming to the conclusion that greed is a form of insanity born out of the need to acquire the necessities to survive.

Greed is fear based as are most human emotions.

It is easier to accumulate more than one needs to guarantee one's survival while disregarding the needs of others, than to share excesses with others and hope they reciprocate when we run onto hard times.

Mankind is the stupidest member of the animal kingdom, those animals we consider so below us have sense enough not to defecate where they eat unless we put them in a cage, we don't.

edit on 9-6-2014 by MyHappyDogShiner because: dit

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Without a doubt there are many many school rooms and places of learning throughout the Universe. Could greed be in control in some of those places, sure could be. But as far as this galaxy goes, I think this planet is quite unique in its level of immaturity. At this time, ego rules with the majority, but it won't be that way forever.

There is an not so obvious undercurrent of spiritual advancement that is growing with the masses. Just look at places like ATS, could you imagine such as place 20 yrs ago? People are waking up to the truth of things. Though it will take a while longer yet for for the majority to accept that peace and sharing are the best way to go for everyone and greed and selfishness will take a back seat, along with those who still refuse to accept these ways for the betterment of society.
edit on 9-6-2014 by starborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Thanks to evolution, the essentials of human nature are to be inherently greedy (getting what you can, while there is something to get,) and inherently lazy (expending the least amount of energy necessary to be greedy.) Anything that flies in the face of that (like Communism) is destined to fail, because it runs up against millions of years of that being the most effective way to survive.

It has become completely perverted in the United States and, to a lesser degree, in the rest of the world, by what Francis Schaeffer described as the twin idols of Personal Peace and Affluence, which he was convinced was leading to the decline and fall of western civilization. I don't disagree with him.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Don't know about the universe.
But it certainly holds sway here.
Which is why civilization crumbles.
The individual must often sacrifice individual wants for good of the group for it to work.
The current paradigm calls for self gratification above all else.
The consequences be damned.
That's the problem.
Too many people believe this:

edit on 10-6-2014 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Degradation33
Charity? Does it not make the giver "feel good", that is a selfish benefit.

Just because a person may feel good while doing charity, that doesn't mean that it was their selfish intention. Some people actually care that others are starving in 3rd world countries, just because you focus on selfish benefits rather than helping others and see it as a virtue doesn't mean that everyone else is the same way.

To the original poster,

The Bible says in 1 Timothy 6:10 that the love of money is the root of all evil. The love of money is "Greed", so greed is the root of all evil.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
It is truth, that the incessant, self mind dictates, the greed, lust, ultimate control of humanities mind, the ego, the shadow, the greed, call it what you will, it is the energy within, that the will, self determines with.

Or, is it the nature of and our alignment, to the consequence, that bears the outcome of greed, lust, control , if the veils are multi faced, for only, the purpose of being seen and digested, then, it is, self suggestive to indulge, in each layer,

when in fact, it is the internal, that is fueling each layer, so each veil, returns an unwanted dividend, Ego, Shadow, persona-ality

In, truly learning of the self, in this journey, accepting, in silent stillness, giving to all others, is the fuel to feed our entire race!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join