It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Fukushima crisis affecting your seafood consumption?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Personally don't ingest it many around me do. And if they are ignorant to GOM and Fukushima incidents to attempt to explain causes immediate doubt w/ responses like the rain from these toxic waters is still covering everything so what's the difference. In which 1 just prays for them in hope that 1 is wrong for the extra caution.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Nope.

Still luvs me some fresh halibut, and salmon.

If anything curtails my consumption, it won't be Fukashima. It'll be the sky rocketing prices.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Nope.

Still luvs me some fresh halibut, and salmon.

If anything curtails my consumption, it won't be Fukashima. It'll be the sky rocketing prices.

The price of Pacific Tuna at the worlds biggest Tuna auction FELL 95% in 2014. The Japanese WON'T eat it!

You will get all the tainted fish you can eat.

Bon appetit.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Psynic

originally posted by: musicismagic
It's just getting worse.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

I don't think I'd want to be living in the Tokyo area these days.
I live south of Tokyo and yes, the sushi houses are still packed to capacity here.

How long do you think Tokyo can maintain the pretense that it will be hosting the 2020 Olympics?

I just read here on ATS that Japan passed a law that no one can report the news about Fukushima without the Japanese approval or face 10 years in prison. So all should be clear by 2020 to come to Japan. No one will know about the true dangers of this mishap over greed and profit. We live in a medical university city and the doctors are hush hush about childbirths, but eventually, the doctors families and extended family and friends will become affected and that is when the sh.. will hit the fan. Personally, Fukushima is not that faraway from the surrounding Tokyo landscape and that landscape is mostly agriculture, food we eat. I do believe the rain contains poison these days, but I have no knowledge on how this radiation stuff works in the air.

Do I think the Olypics will be affected, maybe so, time will tell. Also if not, the excuse will be " a shortage of laborors" to do the construction work. Yes, there is a severe shortage of manpower these days to do such work. The young men here, not all or not many, but the fact is, they have become soft, both mentally and physically.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

It's just getting worse.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

I don't think I'd want to be living in the Tokyo area these days.
I live south of Tokyo and yes, the sushi houses are still packed to capacity here.

How long do you think Tokyo can maintain the pretense that it will be hosting the 2020 Olympics?

I just read here on ATS that Japan passed a law that no one can report the news about Fukushima without the Japanese approval or face 10 years in prison. So all should be clear by 2020 to come to Japan. No one will know about the true dangers of this mishap over greed and profit. We live in a medical university city and the doctors are hush hush about childbirths, but eventually, the doctors families and extended family and friends will become affected and that is when the sh.. will hit the fan. Personally, Fukushima is not that faraway from the surrounding Tokyo landscape and that landscape is mostly agriculture, food we eat. I do believe the rain contains poison these days, but I have no knowledge on how this radiation stuff works in the air.

Do I think the Olypics will be affected, maybe so, time will tell. Also if not, the excuse will be " a shortage of laborors" to do the construction work. Yes, there is a severe shortage of manpower these days to do such work. The young men here, not all or not many, but the fact is, they have become soft, both mentally and physically.

I think you are right about "the shortage of Labourers" being a workable cover story.

Vacancy rates of homes in Tokyo is currently above 10% and forecast to double before 2020.

We will have to keep an eye on Olympic plans as an indicator of actual conditions in Japan.

I have a family member who is planning on competing there in 2020 and as yet, I have not burst her balloon, in hope that the venue will eventually be changed.

2020 is approaching fast, so I don't think we will have to wait long to see the IOC start back-pedalling their way out of Japan.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

The price of Pacific Tuna at the worlds biggest Tuna auction FELL 95% in 2014. The Japanese WON'T eat it!

That's just bollocks talk. I live in Japan and I visit sushi shops at least once a week. I have never heard of ANYONE refusing tuna.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alekto

That's just bollocks talk. I live in Japan and I visit sushi shops at least once a week. I have never heard of ANYONE refusing tuna.

It ain't Pacific Tuna.

www.japantoday.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

edit on -05:0020147192014-07-09T11:19:20-05:00 by Psynic because: DP

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

It ain't Pacific Tuna.

www.japantoday.com...

Now you're being deliberately obtuse. Not a single person ever asks if the tuna is pacific or otherwise. They just want to eat tuna. I have never witnessed anyone ask that question.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

edit on -05:0034147332014-07-09T11:33:34-05:00 by Psynic because: DP

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

It ain't Pacific Tuna.

www.japantoday.com...

Now you're being deliberately obtuse. Not a single person ever asks if the tuna is pacific or otherwise. They just want to eat tuna. I have never witnessed anyone ask that question.

And now you're talking "bollocks".

Read the link.

(post by Alekto removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011
Openminded and everyone, thanks for the topics you raise here. Here's my understanding thus far:

1. On the question of potential radioisotope contamination of seaweeds or other ocean foodstuffs, the definitive answer is a system of testing to rule out contamination. One of you mentions geiger counters, but for 3-dimensional objects, the far more expensive (and far more complex to operate) scintillation equipment is actually the appropriate technology for food testing. I buy seaweed from Larch Hanson, who operates a beyond-organic seaweed collection, processing, and sales business. All his sea products pass stringent scintillation testing by physicists at the University of Maine.
www.theseaweedman.com...

2. I have no financial connection with Larch, nor with the global nuclear industry, nor with the anti-nuclear community.

3. Virtually all atlantic salmon nowadays is from a fish farm.

4. Regarding RickinVA's comments about post-Fukushima radiation, I agree. Some types of ionizing radiation (IR) are more equal than others in harming biological tissue. Not only is the type of IR biologically significant, however, but even more so is its bio-magnification throughout the food chain.

5. According to The Economist magazine, whose Fukushima reports are sporadic but highly accurate, Japan's State Secrets law actually does not become law until December 2014.

6. When buying seaweed or sea salt, be aware that the clock is ticking for its iodine content. Iodine, like all other members of its halogen family, is volatile. Iodine thus sublimes (evaporates) out of sea products within 2 years. So don't buy a 5-year supply of high-iodine seaweed, for example ... you won't get your money's worth after 2 years. In March 2011, after the 2nd Fukushima reactor explosion, my family and I went shopping at independent or co-op natural foods stores for storable food products, such as sacks of grain, etc. In my then-ignorance, I thought it was a clever idea to buy lots of naturally processed sea salt, so I did. Oops, its former iodine content is now all gone!

7. Water: One of you suggested aquaponics, which is related to the larger question of safe drinking water. In my article Lessons From Fukushima, now in print, I describe fundamental mathematical reasons (common exponential decay) why no water filters (nor air filters, either) will ever remove 100% of IR. You know how people have heated opinions about food safety? Discussions about safe drinking water tend to be more emotional than even the food discussions. My family and I have been pressuring Consumer Reports to start testing water filters which claim to "remove" IR. Until that happens, I recommend deep spring water as your source of drinking water. Due to competitive pressures, spring water vendors have had to post analytic laboratory reports on their websites. Several discount chain stores here in California sell deep spring water for 99 cents a gallon. ...Getting back to aquaponics, if you use that method, cover your tank with a roof of some kind so that rainfall contamination does not occur. You will also have to get scintillation verification for fertilizers, however. Larch sells a seaweed-based fertilizer. That type of verified product will become more widely available due to consumer pressure. (For businesses, those testing expenses are tax-deductible.)

Note: I recommend deep spring water because it requires up to 10s of thousands of years to develop IR contamination. In contrast to that long time frame, I found one academic source which finds IR contamination even in deep wells within five years. All other fresh waters, termed "surface waters," develop IR contamination in a shorter timeframe, even aquifers.

8. Be doubly careful with any supplements. Most supplements which have claims for healing IR exposure have little track record, especially those like zeolite which are being offered online. If you are taking zeolite, for example, be aware that periodic blood tests are necessary to insure that your body's supply of micronutrients is not being affected; for those who are pregnant, zeolite has no track record of safety thus far. Supplements should also be tested for IR, such as spirulina, mostly sourced from the Pacific Northwest, which according to independent nuclear engineer Arnie Gundersen received the greatest hammering from the initial Fukushima air-borne IR explosions ... especially the geographic areas in and around the Cascade mountain range. Kyolic (aged garlic), often recommended for its enhancement of human immune response to IR, should not be used by those whose physicians recommend an aspirin per day ... for those taking both aspirin and Kyolic, the risk of later hemorrhagic stroke is increased. Bottom line: Make certain that your medical care provider is aware of all medications and supplements that you are taking.
edit on 7/14/2014 by Uphill because: Added a paragraph.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I love Sushi. So fresh and tasty. I don't think I'll ever stop eating it, particularly the delicious tuna rolls.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Japan launches Bluefin Tuna farming to make up for plummeting catches in the Pacific Fishery.

Less than half the numbers caught in previous years.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I have never been a fan of seafood, although I do enjoy mussels and clams occasionally. My husband loves seafood, he grew up eating lots of it and I always felt a little bad about not cooking fish for him at home. It's just too stinky, lol.

Ever since the Japan earthquake and Fukushima, my husband no longer eats seafood. There's a yummy gluten free restaurant we frequent, a couple months ago I picked him up a crab taco, I was excited because he has always loved seafood but he was very weary about eating it because of the radiation. So the seafood lover he is, no longer eats it and he also warns friends and family about the dangers of eating seafood. We live in California so most of the seafood is going to be from the Pacific.

It's sad.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jennyfrenzy

It's sad.

Human extinction can be a bit like that sometimes.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Uphill
Openminded and everyone, thanks for the topics you raise here. Here's my understanding thus far:

1. On the question of potential radioisotope contamination of seaweeds or other ocean foodstuffs, the definitive answer is a system of testing to rule out contamination. One of you mentions geiger counters, but for 3-dimensional objects, the far more expensive (and far more complex to operate) scintillation equipment is actually the appropriate technology for food testing. I buy seaweed from Larch Hanson, who operates a beyond-organic seaweed collection, processing, and sales business. All his sea products pass stringent scintillation testing by physicists at the University of Maine.
www.theseaweedman.com...

2. I have no financial connection with Larch, nor with the global nuclear industry, nor with the anti-nuclear community.

3. Virtually all atlantic salmon nowadays is from a fish farm.

4. Regarding RickinVA's comments about post-Fukushima radiation, I agree. Some types of ionizing radiation (IR) are more equal than others in harming biological tissue. Not only is the type of IR biologically significant, however, but even more so is its bio-magnification throughout the food chain.

5. According to The Economist magazine, whose Fukushima reports are sporadic but highly accurate, Japan's State Secrets law actually does not become law until December 2014.

6. When buying seaweed or sea salt, be aware that the clock is ticking for its iodine content. Iodine, like all other members of its halogen family, is volatile. Iodine thus sublimes (evaporates) out of sea products within 2 years. So don't buy a 5-year supply of high-iodine seaweed, for example ... you won't get your money's worth after 2 years. In March 2011, after the 2nd Fukushima reactor explosion, my family and I went shopping at independent or co-op natural foods stores for storable food products, such as sacks of grain, etc. In my then-ignorance, I thought it was a clever idea to buy lots of naturally processed sea salt, so I did. Oops, its former iodine content is now all gone!

7. Water: One of you suggested aquaponics, which is related to the larger question of safe drinking water. In my article Lessons From Fukushima, now in print, I describe fundamental mathematical reasons (common exponential decay) why no water filters (nor air filters, either) will ever remove 100% of IR. You know how people have heated opinions about food safety? Discussions about safe drinking water tend to be more emotional than even the food discussions. My family and I have been pressuring Consumer Reports to start testing water filters which claim to "remove" IR. Until that happens, I recommend deep spring water as your source of drinking water. Due to competitive pressures, spring water vendors have had to post analytic laboratory reports on their websites. Several discount chain stores here in California sell deep spring water for 99 cents a gallon. ...Getting back to aquaponics, if you use that method, cover your tank with a roof of some kind so that rainfall contamination does not occur. You will also have to get scintillation verification for fertilizers, however. Larch sells a seaweed-based fertilizer. That type of verified product will become more widely available due to consumer pressure. (For businesses, those testing expenses are tax-deductible.)

Note: I recommend deep spring water because it requires up to 10s of thousands of years to develop IR contamination. In contrast to that long time frame, I found one academic source which finds IR contamination even in deep wells within five years. All other fresh waters, termed "surface waters," develop IR contamination in a shorter timeframe, even aquifers.

8. Be doubly careful with any supplements. Most supplements which have claims for healing IR exposure have little track record, especially those like zeolite which are being offered online. If you are taking zeolite, for example, be aware that periodic blood tests are necessary to insure that your body's supply of micronutrients is not being affected; for those who are pregnant, zeolite has no track record of safety thus far. Supplements should also be tested for IR, such as spirulina, mostly sourced from the Pacific Northwest, which according to independent nuclear engineer Arnie Gundersen received the greatest hammering from the initial Fukushima air-borne IR explosions ... especially the geographic areas in and around the Cascade mountain range. Kyolic (aged garlic), often recommended for its enhancement of human immune response to IR, should not be used by those whose physicians recommend an aspirin per day ... for those taking both aspirin and Kyolic, the risk of later hemorrhagic stroke is increased. Bottom line: Make certain that your medical care provider is aware of all medications and supplements that you are taking.

Thanks for posting this. Although I live here in Japan, I don't believe what the govt is saying about the "pure" safety of eating seafood at the moment. The reason is: they keep upping the legal limit of safety to where now, it doesn't matter because if it goes over that, they just up it again. Sorry to say, but the news here is tightly controlled these days. Even govt doctors are afraid to speak out about the the crisis with their patients to the public.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
If the thought of eating seafood due to imaginary high radiation doses disturbs you, don't eat it. It's very simple.

I'll continue to tuck in. Cos I like sushi :-)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join