It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homosexual Conversion Therapy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
ATTN Mods: I know this forum used to cover psychology related topics. If that is no longer the case please feel free to move this topic.

Unlike the previous thread on this topic (which was inexplicably deleted) I want to focus on the legitimacy and controversy surrounding conversion therapy as opposed to the political aspects. That said I feel that some context needs to be laid as to why this thread is relevant. Earlier this week the Texas GOP released a new draft of their party platform. Among the items listed was an acceptance and promotion of conversion therapy.

For those who don't know conversion therapy is the practice of "curing" someone of their homosexuality.

Now the research shows that at best conversion therapy is completely ineffective. At worst it leads to major depressive disorder, a variety of anxiety disorders, and a number of other neuroses. So regardless of who is pushing for the use of this therapy I want to ask a question. Should conversion therapy be allowed or should it be banned?
edit on 6/6/2014 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I see no reason why it should not be allowed. However... I do think that being forced to go through conversion therapy should not be allowed. If a person chooses to try it for whatever reason, then they should be allowed to seek it out and take part if they wish.

I must restate again so there is no confusion - that I do feel strongly about it being offered BUT NOT forced on anyone who does not wish to participate. I do understand that there are many that are forced, but I have also heard of a few that sought it out.

Then again, maybe I should not have an opinion on this as I am not homosexual. Maybe it should be left completely up to those who are?
edit on 6/6/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Are you trying to ask a question, or start an argument?
You stated research shows conversion therapy to be ineffective, so the question seems pointless.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
If there was conversion therapy to turn heterosexuals into homosexuals, I might try it. Women have caused me a lot of grief, but damn I like them. I have tossed around images of homo sex in my head, and...no...just no. Can't do it. I honestly don't understand what women see in men. If I was born female I would totally be a lesbian.
edit on 6-6-2014 by skunkape23 because: hit enter prematurely

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   

edit on 6-6-2014 by skunkape23 because: delete

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Bear in mind that I'm pro-gay marriage and all of that, but I do have to wonder at this research showing that it's not effective. I am skeptical that the people involved could carry out non-biased research on its effectiveness, to be frank.

Now, I would say that I think that it should be something that can be taken up voluntarily because I don't believe in artificially restricting people and protecting them from their own stupidity when they can reasonably take responsibility for themselves.

As for whether I buy that it's legitimate or not...of course I don't buy it. I don't know that I can trust the research, but I can trust my own eyes with all the homoerotic "fixes" so many of these places engage in and how many scandals have erupted after ex-gays go ex-ex-gay.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
When you buy brand new state of the art electronics...you don't go home and re-wire it. Homosexuals are born the way they are...got a problem with that...take it up with your God, it's on him. Hell, I may need it. I've been accused of being a lesbian more than once.

edit on 6-6-2014 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
1 million % banned.

You are screwing with nature, homosexuality will always occur from birth no matter what nutjobs think.

This is and always be 'nature' and there is concrete evidence to prove so.

People who think it is 'a choice' are sad and undereducated and usually brainwashed. Well done you!

Yes my opinion is matter of fact, and I won't apologise If ive offended anyone. You should open your mind and know better!

This is because homosexuality is 'matter of fact'

The minority of humans and animals and' life' will continue to be gay for eternity, because that is life, deal with it.

SNIP

Mod Edit: ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

edit on 6/6/2014 by Blaine91555 because: Unnecessary rude comment snipped.

Edit: Wow that got modded quick!

Ok I was too harsh, apologies mods and fellow members. I got too passionate.

I'm not a bad person, I just struggle to understand how people can think homosexuality is an illness or choice.
I'm open minded to most things, but this is just incomprehensible.

edit on 6/6/14 by OpenEars123 because: Realised I was too harsh

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

It's all well and good to argue that it's up to the person's discretion. However, is that the case for any other medical procedure that has been shown to be harmful in many cases? Let's look at a few examples of similar situations. There are people out there that argue bleach is a cure for autism. Now, sure, there may be some people that may not suffer serious effects from ingesting bleach (through whatever orifice) but many will receive nasty side effects. Should this form of "therapy" be allowed to be practiced? Let's take a more extreme example. Let's say I create a tonic that contains, among other things, mercury and a bill it as a cure all. Should I be held liable when people start getting sick/dying from my product? It was their choice to buy it.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
This is a religious issue. America is a Christian country. Southern states are generally hyper-christian. This is simply a case of religious persecution. Even though this "therapy" isn't mandatory, it still tells homosexuals that there is something wrong with them. That their state has approved "treatment" for their "condition". And the terms that are used piss me off. They call it "a homosexual lifestyle". That's such bull#. Being vegetarian is a lifestyle. Exercising daily is a lifestyle. Calling homosexuality a "lifestyle" is their euphemistic way of calling homosexuality a choice.

The idea of programming a person's sexual preference is so #ing sinister. It sounds like something out of a psychological thriller or horror novel. The people down there need education. I won't call them bad people. They're not evil. They're just ignorant... and you can fix ignorance.

Edit: To clarify, the reason that it is a religious issue is because religion is the only reason anyone out here thinks that it is wrong. The bible is the sole reason that homosexuality is considered wrong in western society. There is nothing wrong with being homosexual. Not mentally, and not physically. But people think that God or Jesus said so, so they have to agree lest they burn in hell or whatever.
edit on 6-6-2014 by LeviWardrobe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I think we should thank the Good Lord for the Christian right giving Homosexuals an alternative.

Michele Bachmans husband had a conversion therapy practice and knew how to "pray away the gay"

Isn't that clever and catchy?

swampland.time.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

I'm trying to start a discussion. As I've mentioned the vast majority of research has shown that conversion therapy produces ineffectual or negative results. Yet, there are people who defend its continued existence. I wish to understand the reasoning behind these beliefs. I'm also hoping to delve into a broader topic as this thread progresses.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: nugget1

I'm trying to start a discussion. As I've mentioned the vast majority of research has shown that conversion therapy produces ineffectual or negative results. Yet, there are people who defend its continued existence. I wish to understand the reasoning behind these beliefs. I'm also hoping to delve into a broader topic as this thread progresses.

I think you are brave starting this thread, and clearly come across intelligent enough to pull it off.

But regardless of how intelligent, calm and rational you are.. You will learn nothing from the indoctrinated.

I know you know this anyway, I guess I should go to bed. :-/

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

The reason is religion and ignorance. It's simple. Here is how they see it.

1. God says that homosexuality is wrong.
2. We'll save the gays. Through God all things are possible!
3. Pseudo-science.
4. Prayer.

Simple. It is entirely a religious topic. Not much else to say about it.

a reply to: OpenEars123
What the # does that mean? Who is indoctrinated? And to what end? You, on your high horse. Almighty mother-#er. You're immune to indoctrination? You somehow know in your deepest heart that what you know is right? What condescending, passive aggressive drivel that post is. We don't need people like you on this site, or anywhere. Consider peoples feelings when you post # like that. Such an arrogant thing to say.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: LeviWardrobe

I apologised for my outburst.

Did I hit a nerve???

Nuff said.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   

How effective would it be to use therapy to turn a straight person gay?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   

That's comparing apples and oranges. Ingesting something is physical. Therapy is mental. Words. While I do believe words can hurt, as adults opting for a particular treatment we can choose whether we want to stick around and hear them or not. As I have already stated, I do not thing treatment should be forced... children included.

One would not have to follow through with conversion therapy if they elected to start it at all. I can go to therapy for any number of things and not like what I hear and not like the recommended course of treatment, get up off the couch and get the hell out.

They can not lock the door behind me, not allow me to leave, then commence with treatment all while I am protesting.

So yes. I stand by allowing it to be offered. Nobody has to continue it. And as long as it remains that way why should others not have access to it?

edit on 6/6/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
There are several things that should be brought up in a court case, and one hopes that the person doing the video tape does such.

Having first heard about this and given it some thought the following can be stated:

The Op has brought up a point about homosexual conversion therapy. This is a form of treatment here the end goal is to force the person from being attracted to the same sex, to that of the opposite sex. For a while it was considered to be with in the area of psychiatrics. However as studies have been done, has been found to be more pseudo science, and potentially harmful to the person who receives it, and thus no longer gets the full endorsement of the medical community, which actively discourages such treatments.

Have there been some successes in the past, yes, but not enough to make it worthwhile, and from all accounts it does more damage than good. Most of the therapy is heavy religious combined with things like adverse treatment, namely electro shock treatment.

Now why is it on the platform of the Republican party, well that is simple, if you think about it, and that is cause there are 2 things that they are hoping for. The first is that they are pandering for votes. That means that if they can show that they are willing to go to some extremes when it comes to social issues, then the religious right, and conservative movements will give them votes and back them. The other, well it is a bit more sinister, and it would make sense if you think about it.

While they can not force an adult to go into such treatment, as such would require either the person to willing go in, or they can use such to try to hold things like a job over a person’s head, or other services. But I would believe that there is one group that can be forced into such a harmful treatment and that would be children, if they are suspected of being a homosexual. Think about it a child of 10 says he or she is attracted to the same sex, and with this kind of platform and getting it onto the books in some states, and the parents can force the child into treatment to “fix” said child to a conformist point of view.

And there is one other point that I just thought of when I was about to post, if they can get it on the books, then they can reclassify same sex attraction as a disease again, or start the process of doing such, in a round about way.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

How effective would it be to use therapy to turn a straight person gay?

This question trumps all on this subject, and always seems to be conveniently ignored.

Did all straight people 'choose' to be straight at some point in their childhood???

No.

Well said Beeezer

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: OpenEars123
To hop into a conversation, and tell a person that they have nothing to learn from other participants because they are "indoctrinated" is a very rude thing to do. You just wrote off a chunk of this community, and claimed for yourself some sort of higher, enlightened status. Your post added nothing at all to this thread. There is no substance there. It's just a fleeting judgement.

Edit: To be clear, I do agree with you on the topic of homosexuality and this "therapy". It's just that, regardless of whose side you're on, that post isn't very nice or productive.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join