It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Science Experiment Will Make You Never Want To Drink Coke Again

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pardon?
Whichever sugar you consume it gets broken down by your body in the same way and into the same compounds.

www.sciencebasedmedicine.org...

ERRRRNT WRONG!!!
I understand it is a long video but it breaks down into simple segments the evil of HFCS.
Learning takes time if you are willing.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Corruption Exposed

Only in the US do they use corn syrup. In other countries they use sugar. The first thing many Americans do when they go to the other countries is grab a coke with real sugar, since it is so much better.

In this thread: people slamming coke when they have no idea what it is.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
First off, that is nothing more than caramelized sugar/corn syrup. People forget that coke is also dyed, which means you now have dark and dyed caramelized sugar syrup in the pan.

Much ado about nothing.

You can't believe everything you see on youtube.

Not only is this thread incorrect, it should be removed for stupidity.
edit on 6-6-2014 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Let's not forget that apples also have a lot of natural pectin in them, a thickening agent.

Hence the reason why when you boil down apples or apple juice it tends thicken up. I usually don't even bother adding pectin when I make my apple-pie jam.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
i generally try to avoid boiling my cola. cold is so much better.

SM2

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Stop with the mercury, they do not use mercury to manufacture HFCS. The possibility for mercury contamination in HFCS is the same possibility that the fresh caught tuna or other fish is contaminated. Every food item, yes even organic has the same possibility.

The goo left in the pot, is exactly what it should be. Burn off the liquid in any solution containing high amounts of sugar, and this is what you get. To say that this is any different is to completely ignore the fact that HFCS is a sugar. Roughly the same chemical composition as honey 50% fructose 50% glucose. It is just made from corn and they may or may not use a synthetic agent in place of the natural enzyme to break it down. Here's another fact, when you consume cane or beet sugar (sucrose) your body will begin the digestion of it through hydrolysis using an enzyme called sucrase . This process converts sucrose to 50% fructose and 50% glucose. Stop fear mongering allready. Any sugars in high amounts is toxic . HFCS is not more sugar than an equal amount of cane or beet sugar (refined white table sugar or brown sugar if mixed with molasses). HFCS is much cheaper pound for pound then cane or beet sugar, but is not any worse or better . The danger comes from the potential of GMO corn being used and the use of potentially using a synthetic agent to complete the hydrolysis.

Get the facts and check the science behind them. The sugar/ HFCS debate is not that hard with a little high school chemistry and common sense.

Who is making the money for getting you to think that a particular products is bad? Now I am not saying you should go out and consume a ton of the stuff, i am just simply stating that it is not really any more harmful than cane or beet sugar. The mercury contamination is not a determining factor again, because like I said, the same percentage risk is involved in any consumable product, organic or non.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: g146541

Whichever sugar you consume it gets broken down by your body in the same way and into the same compounds.

ERRRRNT WRONG!!!
I understand it is a long video but it breaks down into simple segments the evil of HFCS.

Learning takes more than Youtube videos too.
Try going to college (a real one, not the University of Google) and getting a degree in human physiology.
And read the link I posted.

And this one.
www.alanaragonblog.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Glassbender777

That is simply because the acidity is 2.

Not such thing as natural neutral acidity. Many people drink water with acidity as low as 5.

Our own stomachs do the same thing.

You know what is really creepy? A young kid's skull with the baby teeth still in it.

This totally sets off my trypophobia.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

ERRRRNT WRONG!!!

Learning takes more than Youtube videos too.
Try going to college (a real one, not the University of Google) and getting a degree in human physiology.
And read the link I posted.

And this one.
www.alanaragonblog.com...

So online courses are absolute rubbish?
Hmmm.
This is an actual class/seminar given through the UC system, in fact it is their youtube channel.
If you are willing to stay willfully ignorant I am ok fine with it, but I will not allow someone to lie out loud when I know it is a lie.
Or are you saying this credentialed doctor/professor is wrong?
You sure did watch that 1.5 hour video quick though, what kind of processor you got running there?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Corruption Exposed
a reply to: ChefSlug

It's not real cane sugar, they have used HFCS since the 1980s...

That is not sugar you are looking at...just saying.

What you are looking at is a bunch of additives.

Don't be ridiculous.

HFCS is sugar. It is roughly half and half glucose and fructose, dissolved in water.

Both glucose and fructose are sugars.

This whole thread is pathetic scaremongering. And yes, I do have a masters degree in chemistry and I do know what I am talking about.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

ERRRRNT WRONG!!!

What a joke. You say "learning takes time" and then you post a YOUTUBE VIDEO!

I spent four years at university learning about organic chemistry. You are right, learning does take time.

HFCS is sugars and water. Nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Rob48

Both glucose and fructose are sugars.

Yes.
Glucose is a sugar that doesn't have to be digested to be used by the body. Most other sugars have to be broken down into glucose for your cells to use as fuel.
There is way too much freaking out over HFCS.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
This is why the gentleman in the video is a professor and you are not.
Other people will watch the video and be able to see that I am correct by agreeing with the good doctor.
You sure did watch that video quick too!
I also am a scientist/astronaut/doctor on the interwebs!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I also am a scientist/astronaut/doctor on the interwebs!

What is that supposed to mean? That you are a liar?

As for Prof Lustig, he apparently hasn't been entirely honest, either.

Forbes magazine cited Lustig for his inconsistent statements on sugar and HFCS: "Dr. Lustig’s past writings also inconveniently reflect his scientific opinion that HFCS 'and sucrose are, for all intents and purposes, biochemically and metabolically equivalent.'" The article goes on to vilify the plaintiff's case, but does not seek comment from the plaintiff apart from quotations from Lustig's book. Lustig has made this comparison other times previously. A New York Times Magazine article in 2009 noted Lustig's view that HFCS and sugar "are effectively identical in their biological effects." The author cited a lecture he attended five months earlier, where Lustig stated: "High-fructose corn syrup, sugar — no difference."

en.wikipedia.org...

Rather than leaping to conclusions, you might like to read up about what fructose actually is.

It is the same sugar that is in orange juice, or apple juice, or just about any 100% natural fresh-squeezed fruit juice you care to mention.

All Lustig appears to be saying is that too much sugar is not good for you. To which I reply: No s***, Sherlock.
edit on 6-6-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Actually this experiment makes me want to never boil coke.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Nice hit piece on the good doctor by a the main stream media, I wasn't aware that the media was telling the truth now!
It is neat how they took the doctors words and rearranged them in order to use them against him.
Did you really just cite wiki as proof?...
Funny thing, after the main stream media called the doctor a fraud, how he still has his job.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz
Hot Coke toddy ,how creepy is that?

SM2

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: nixie_nox

Only in the US do they use corn syrup. In other countries they use sugar. The first thing many Americans do when they go to the other countries is grab a coke with real sugar, since it is so much better.

In this thread: people slamming coke when they have no idea what it is.

This is not even close to be accurate. It goes by different names in some other countries, but the same item...

In Canada for example it is called Glucose-Fructose syrup

In the EU it is called Isoglucose or Glucose-Fructrose syrup (no it is not banned in the UK )

in other countries it can be called all of the above or sometimes high fructose maize syrup. Or if it has a higher precentage of fructose as opposed to glucose it may be called Fructose-Glucose syrup. same stuf.

here is a chart that references HFCS production by country...

topforeignstocks.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Nice hit piece on the good doctor by a the main stream media, I wasn't aware that the media was telling the truth now!
It is neat how they took the doctors words and rearranged them in order to use them against him.
Did you really just cite wiki as proof?...
Funny thing, after the main stream media called the doctor a fraud, how he still has his job.

You don't "cite Wikipedia", as you would know if you really were a scientist. Wikipedia isn't a source, it is a collection of sources.

The sources are Forbes and the New York Times, as you will see from the footnotes in the Wiki article.

The point, if you actually bothered to read, is that Lustig's beef isn't with HFCS, it is with sugar, and specifically fructose.

Too much fructose isn't good for you. That is no secret.

But there is no difference at all between the fructose in Coke from a factory and the fructose in 100% organic orange juice squeezed between the thighs of a virgin. They are identical. A lab can't tell the difference. Your body sure as hell can't tell the difference. And if you boil up orange juice, you will still get a horrible brown sticky mess.

So stop spouting rubbish and trying to demonise HFCS.

Don't drink Coke by the gallon, that's common sense. But guzzling the same volume of orange juice would be just as unwise.

In fact, if you read what Lustig says, he is making the point that HFCS is NO WORSE than any other type of sugar.

“High-fructose corn syrup, sugar — no difference. The point is they’re each bad — equally bad, equally poisonous.”

So why are you twisting his words to imply that HFCS is somehow worse than ordinary sugar? Answer me that one.
edit on 6-6-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

I used to drink hot Dr Pepper on a cold winter day, it was good.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join