It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theory of Free Will Relativity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Perhaps the Free Will vs. No Free Will debate does not need to be as polarised as is usually the case. Maybe the existence or non-existence of Free Will is not as clear-cut as many would claim.

Technically speaking, Absolute Free Will does not exist: we cannot will for the existence of a briefcase with a million dollars to appear from out of thin air, nor can we will to lift up a car with our pinky finger alone. We can only will that which conforms to our laws of physics and knowledge.

On the other hand, technically we cannot have Absolute non-Free Will either: if this were the case, there would be no conflict, disagreement nor debates to be had. Everything would be perfect.

So maybe the answer lies somewhere in the middle: we have the ability to make decisions and take actions that are relative to the rules of physics and knowledge, which are influenced by a combination of factors such as our mindset, past experiences and intellectual reasoning.

But one key problem remains: do we truly have control over our actions?

edit on 6/6/2014 by Dark Ghost because: spelling

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

As a naturalist who saw everything from a fly to a supergiant star, I think that a degree of free will does exists.

Not absolute, but not zero.

The control we have over our lives... it's not absolute, but it's significantly more than zero.

History's darkest moments and brightest moments are marked by individuals decided to change the World - some for the worst, but some for the best. To me this is proof that mankind can have a heck of a spark of free will.

edit on 6-6-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne
As a naturalist who saw everything from a fly to a supergiant star, I think that a degree of free will does exists.

Not absolute, but not zero.

The control we have over our lives... it's not absolute, but it's significantly more than zero.

History's darkest moments and brightest moments are marked by individuals decided to change the World - some for the worst, but some for the best. To me this is proof that mankind can have a heck of a spark of free will.

I see the point you are making, but for the purpose of debate, I will consider the other side.

One can argue that all those individuals' decisions were influenced by a number of factors outside their direct control, such as their genetic makeup, mindset at the time and past experiences.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
One can argue that all those individuals' decisions were influenced by a number of factors outside their direct control, such as their genetic makeup, mindset at the time and past experiences.

And they wouldn't be totally wrong.

But uncertainties is bound to happen in such a complex system - uncertainties which can lead to unpredictability. Thus, a non-zero amount of free will.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

So, would you agree that Free Will extends far enough to a point where we can control our actions?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
It's all statistics really. It's not "free will" as much as it is choosing from a list of predetermined options.

Studies have even shown that there is a lag between your subconscious mind knowing what option your going to make seconds before your conscious mind.

I myself fall in to the category of hard incompatibilism myself. Both non-deterministic and no innate free will.
edit on 6-6-2014 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

It can extend this far. But does it in the average? I don't know. Further observations is IMHO needed.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

But one key problem remains: do we truly have control over our actions? - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

If by "we" you mean strictly the conscious aspect of an individual, or the mind, I'd say no, as that aspect is dependent on the subconscious aspects in order to come to any sort of consciousness whatsoever. If by "we" you mean an entire individual, both conscious and unconscious, both mind and body, I'd say yes. The strength of will of any one singularly conceived aspect of the whole pales in comparison to the strength of the entire will, which is both conscious and subconscious at the same time, and in complete control of itself.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I posted this reply on another thread but it seems appropriate here as well...hope that's not against the rules

Well, here's my thoughts on it...I think the creator could be all knowing as well as not knowing it all. For those of you who lean towards reincarnation...Think about the great creator, whoever or whatever that is, being 'alone' in the beginning. It can never have a new thought or experience...static in it's own greatness. What better way to
'experience' all of your knowledge in a meaningful way than to arrange a system of subdividing yourself into, say, 7 billion souls, for lack of a better word, THEN create a way to forget all that you know in order to experience the great diversity that life (us included) can create?

By forgetting who or what you are and your origins, install a 'free will' program into the mix, and then every living soul or subdivision of the Creator can co create based on their own unique set of circumstances. Every face of the Creator a carbon copy of the original, yet with the ability to create in their own way...negatively or positively...stretched out over countless lifetimes and experiences.

Every person, like a finger print, has a different point of view...will see the world in a different way...see the same sunset yet experience it from their point of view...experience life and make choices that will be unique to them alone...God experiencing himself! Over infinite lifetimes of being poor or rich, good or evil...learning the lessons of life all the while.

And like nature (or the footprints of the Creator if you will) you see the patterns of this every where...starting with a seed which makes it's journey into leaves, up to a stalk, up to a bloom and back to many seeds again, to start the process over and over. Two seeds side by side would experience growing a different way...all along not knowing the end result is to make more seeds. Nature...the foot prints of the Creator.

Consider eternity as a loop...or if you like quantum physics, a torus...an energy field that cycles endlessly in it's own sphere. As can be seen in nature, fractals abound everywhere...patterns inside of patterns inside of patterns...Each cell or atom produces it's own electromagnetic field (a torus) as well as each cell, as well as each human or living organism...as well as the earth, the solar system, and yes, the universe. It's not that the universe is sooo big...it's just that we are sooo small...

This is a short version of how I see it all coming together. Maybe not a perfect explanation but makes much better sense than any religion out there...IMO.

We are here to create in the sandbox of life that the creator has dropped us down into.

Now...as a co creator...imagine what you can do!

new topics

top topics

join