It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let me be clear. Is that phrase starting to grate your nerves?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I've heard that phrase over the decades and as time has passed on, I find that it annoys me to no end. When I first remember hearing it, it was Mom and Dad...and there was a clear message attached to the phrase.

Now I hear it all the time from the Gov't, especially the POTUS, (and he really isn't all that clear), but there really is no clear message anymore. It's like they use this term to try to shut down anyone who disagrees with them.

Can anyone else feel my pain?

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I feel your pain and think the whole phrase should be banned in government. Why? Because it's never clear. Even when you think it's clear....

Somebody misspoke
Somebody misheard
Somebody didn't get the intent
Somebody quoted the wrong numbers
Somebody misquoted the original statement

It's always a reason why "Let me be clear" wasn't quite as clear as it should have been.

I don't even think they are really even trying anymore.

edit on 6/5/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Clear as tar. Pass the lube, please.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex
Well..
Let me be clear, it does not bother me at all.
I have real things that bother me.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I am glad to see that this is clearly not just an issue for myself.
Did you get the above line or should I clarify that as well.
I have not been cleared by the wife to disclose any more information.
I will leave this thread with a clear head on my way to bed.
I can see clearly why people hate my posts. :-)
Clear sailing from my logout button to the water bed.
Off and Clear and standing by for any finals.

S&F
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Let me be clear...at the end of the day..at the end of the day phrase is becoming annoying too.
Righttttt?

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
It's so funny how politicians have these language markers.

One thinks of the populist: "We the people ..." (which always excludes a whole bunch of people).
Or under apartheid the ministers would often begin their finger-wagging sentences with "We deny categorically" (it was true) or "I wish to state categorically" (usually ushering in a lie).
Everything was "categorical", which is not one of the best sounding words when spoken with a heavy Afrikaans accent.

"Let me clear" can mean that the rest of the speech was just waffling, and the speaker is now getting to the nitty-gritty, but in politics it usually follows with something that is not very clear at all.
It sounds very authoritative, and I suppose it reinforces the importance and power of the speaker.

In an ironic meaning the idiom could also suggest becoming transparent or invisible - the "me" being just a voice.
Could it be a subconscious reminder to focus on the power of the office, rather than any visible or cultural signifiers of the man (which become wiped "clear" by the suggestion)?

Well, I hope it's not a conspiratorial sign that President Obama converted from Islam to Scientology, and he's now planning to "clear" America, starting with himself.
edit on 6-6-2014 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
It clearly confuses me ..

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Let me be clear. I would like another beer.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
"Make no mistake..." /PUUUKE!!!!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
i dont like it when people start a sentance with 'I'll be honest' or 'I'm not gonna lie'.
why would they need to say that?

join