It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scottish independence: Barack Obama backs 'strong and united' UK

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
ye ken if Scotland does become independent and Salmond and his crew get elected then run us into the ground he will definitely get his heid kicked in nae doubt aboot it!

Naw he Wullnae cause we wllnae be run intae the grun in the first place...say he wull again anal kick yoor heid in.. lol

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I wish people would understand ....a YES vote is NOT a vote for Salmond.....as somebody has already mentioned...there will be general elections in Scotland some 16 months after the referendum if the YES vote wins.

One step at a time. I just wish there was somebody else vocalising the yes vote besides Salmond.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

I think most agree Scotland is better in UK. Thats why you only have Salmond.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

I think most agree Scotland is better in UK. Thats why you only have Salmond.

That's why we only have Salmond???? eh. We have a population of 5.5 million...guess who won the last Scottish election with a majority...Alex has plenty back up who share his vision for Scotland.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Sorry Crazy....I lived in Aberdeen for 10 years, I married a Scot, I'm Welsh by birth, but have a completely Scottish line on my grandfathers side.....If I was in Scotland, my vote would be a resounding YES......

I think most agree Scotland is better in UK

I obviously don't think so do I? And from what I can see of Scottish posters on here.....they agree with me.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

The whole Scottish Independence issue could turn quite comical. Orkney & Shetland ( amongst other isles) want a referendum to become independent from Scotland.
So if Scotland, gains independence, the Western Isles may gain independence from Scotland, along with the North Sea oil fields within the islands territorial waters.

Oh happy days.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

You're obviously not from Scotland or resided there have you?

Allow me to correct you. The Islanders have only wanted independence from Scotland because they wanted independence from the UK not Scotland itself. It is an English urban myth that the Islanders see themselves separate from Scotland, they never thought Scotland would get the opportunity to vote for Independence and became a voice in the wilderness for many a year......not any more.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Yes, it could be really interesting to see how Salmond, Sturgeon and all the other supporters of independence and The Right to Self-Determination react if the Orkneys, Shetland etc decide they want their independence from Scotland.

And imagine the wealth they would have considering all the revenue that Salmond et al reckon is going to fund Scotland....and where will that leave Scotland?

And there also remains the question of what currency they will be using.
The Euro and thus be 100% reliant on the Eurocrats in Brussels etc. You can bet your every penny that if, and that's a massive if, they are allowed to join the EU then they will exact a massive price off them.
Or will they insist on using BRITISH Sterling and thus be 100% reliant on a currency controlled by a nation they seek to be independent from and having absolutely zero control or say over?

Some independence that.

You really couldn't make it up.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

The whole Scottish Independence issue could turn quite comical. Orkney & Shetland ( amongst other isles) want a referendum to become independent from Scotland.
So if Scotland, gains independence, the Western Isles may gain independence from Scotland, along with the North Sea oil fields within the islands territorial waters.

Oh happy days.

Sounds more like wishful think on your part.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
We could turn that argument around...Newcastle and Birmingham want independence from England....see how ludicrous that sounds.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel

You're obviously not from Scotland or resided there have you?

Allow me to correct you. The Islanders have only wanted independence from Scotland because they wanted independence from the UK not Scotland itself. It is an English urban myth that the Islanders see themselves separate from Scotland, they never thought Scotland would get the opportunity to vote for Independence and became a voice in the wilderness for many a year......not any more.

Rainbows
Jane

Did you just make that story up?

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel

Sorry Crazy....I lived in Aberdeen for 10 years, I married a Scot, I'm Welsh by birth, but have a completely Scottish line on my grandfathers side.....If I was in Scotland, my vote would be a resounding YES......

I think most agree Scotland is better in UK

I obviously don't think so do I? And from what I can see of Scottish posters on here.....they agree with me.

Rainbows
Jane

I meant most politicians dont agree with independence hence why you only have that clown Salmond.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Sorry Jane, but in this instance you are wrong.

There is a movement for complete independence in Orkney, Shetland and The Western Isles and many islanders feel as alienated from Edinburgh as they do from London.

www.theguardian.com...
www.theguardian.com...
www.scottish.parliament.uk...
www.heraldscotland.com...

Nationalism has a habit of becoming a force all of itself and spreads quite quickly.

Scotland would be foolhardy, and naïve, to ignore the fact that there are those who feel quite disconnected from mainland Scotland and will seek other alternatives in the event of an independence vote.

As I said previously, I wonder how welcoming and supportive of The Self to Self-Determination Salmond et al will be under such circumstances?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

There is a movement for complete independence in Orkney, Shetland and The Western Isles and many islanders feel as alienated from Edinburgh as they do from London.

www.theguardian.com...
www.theguardian.com...

Nationalism has a habit of becoming a force all of itself and spreads quite quickly.

Scotland would be foolhardy, and naïve, to ignore the fact that there are those who feel quite disconnected from mainland Scotland and will seek other alternatives in the event of an independence vote.

As I said previously, I wonder how welcoming and supportive of The Self to Self-Determination Salmond et al will be under such circumstances?

If Salmond or whoever became leader of an independent Scotland, denied the islands a vote on independence, it would make them the biggest hypocrites around.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

www.theguardian.com...
www.theguardian.com...

Freedom for West Tooting! Stand against the crypto-fascist bullyboys from East Cheam!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   

If Salmond or whoever became leader of an independent Scotland, denied the islands a vote on independence, it would make them the biggest hypocrites around.

Indeed.

But judging by the predictable response given here, www.abovetopsecret.com... it would seem they are already trying to get their excuses ready and use some sort of twisted logic to justify not granting the Islanders their wish....and right.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Scotland demands independence from Scotland Shocker...eh, wait...what?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

Orkney Islanders in " We Are Not Scottish" Shocker

www.ft.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
How would the islanders process their oil wealth with absolutely no infrastructure apart from the gas processing plant in the Shetlands , they have no way to process that oil without relying on the already built pipelines to Aberdeen
it would be quite difficult to get that in place without having to go into some lengthy legal deals with dodgy politicians.

As for the pound, why the hell cant Scotland continue using the pound since our nation helped create the empire which gave the pound its value, its just as much ours as it is the English, Welsh and Northern Irish.

I'm quite happy for everyone to be together as us Earthlings should stick together , but only in a system that is fair , and the one we currently have is so far removed from any sense of fair or equal its criminal , so hopefully we in Scotland get our independence create a better system then invite England , Wales and Northern Ireland into a Union with us and ditch Westminster and the city state of London

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

Orkney Islanders in " We Are Not Scottish" Shocker

www.ft.com...

Cornwall demands freedom from England Shocker.
Cornish Nationalism
Free Cornish Army
edit on 6-6-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join