It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traces of another world found on the Moon (BBC)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pauligirl

originally posted by: WanDash
a reply to: IsaacKoi
Interesting that no-one is mentioning the giant elephant in the you-know-where...
Being - Sitchin said that such a collision was described in the ancient texts.
Correct, or not, I find it interesting.

But according to the NatGeo article, it happened around 4.5 billion years ago. Who would have been around to describe the collision?

You beat me to it, but to be fair Sitchin's take on it was pre us lot, since that lot was supposed to make us fairly usable, and that they were the hell's angels riders on that planet, and in any case it is not a description of an Earth collision, but Nibiru and another planet or body somewhere near or around Mars's and Jupiter's orbits, and which also included the rag-tag of the asteroid belt which is, sort of, in a funny place in the solar system, although it is not seemingly great shakes in the mass department.

edit on 5-6-2014 by smurfy because: Picture.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

What leads them to believe there was another planet roaming around and where did it get that name? Shouldn't we ask that first?

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22
Where did Earth get it's name? Mars? Jupiter?

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pauligirl
...But according to the NatGeo article, it happened around 4.5 billion years ago. Who would have been around to describe the collision?

If your point is - since there were no Reporters or Astronomers working on Earth at the time this purportedly took place - who could have recorded it?...the info, supposedly did not come from Earthlings, but rather, from those revered in ancient times, as 'the gods'.
And - as smurfy said - this collision would also have been the source of the asteroid belt.
If I'm misunderstanding your question - please rephrase.
Thanks.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

According to Sitchin's Translations of Ancient Sumarian Tablets in his Book " The 12 Planet ", NASA might be confirming here the existence of the Mythical Planet " Tiamat " from which the Earth And Moon were Formed from an Impact of one of the Moons of the other Mythical Planet Nibiru . I doubt that would be Believed by most Astrophisicists today .

" Inscribed on seven clay tablets, the text described how the inner and outer planets appeared; how an invading celestial body (“Nibiru”) collided with and broke up the planet ‘Tiamat’, "

The above Information was alledgedly told to the Ancient Sumarians by their Creator Gods the Nephilim .
edit on 5-6-2014 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677

Not just buckshot....there's one giant scar too. A really long scrape....

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shakawkaw
a reply to: Bilk22
Where did Earth get it's name? Mars? Jupiter?
My point was, how do they know there was another planet. The name is incidental, but if it no longer exists, who gave it that name? Some of the planets were named by ancient civilizations. How would they know of a planet that never existed during their time here on Earth?

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: LightAssassin

Yeah... Quite possibly from the debris of worlds colliding. Certainly would seem to be from a single event.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22
How would they know of a planet that never existed during their time here on Earth?
They don't know, that's why they call it a "hypothesis". A hypothesis is something you don't know, but you think might be a possibility, so you look for evidence to support it. The topic of this thread is that it looks like they found some of that evidence to support the hypothesis.

We have tried to model solar systems forming from an accretion disk, and what we find is the process is somewhat chaotic at first. Lots of masses accumulate, but there are gravitational interactions, which fling some protoplanets out of the solar system, and others get flung into the star. Some protoplanets collide. Here is one such simulation showing all three types of events:

We have reason to suspect this process was at work in our early solar system, though there are too many variables to model it exactly. However if you watch that video it should give you some idea why we think our solar system probably started out with more planets than it ended up with.

edit on 5-6-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Excellent post. A star for ye, laddie!

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Just because they found bits of earth mars and whateva planet on the moon; does not prove the moon was created from any of them, it could so easily have already been in place when the supposed collision happened and it got hit by the debris.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
More recently, a study of lunar paleotides has shown that “the Moon could not have been formed in orbit around the Earth” (A. J. Anderson, “Lunar Paleotides and the Origin of the Earth-Moon System,” The Moon and the Planets, 19 [1978], 409-417). Because of a certain degree of instability in the Sun-Earth-Moon system, “the planetary origin and capture of the Moon by the Earth becomes a strong dynamic possibility.” (V. Szebehely and R. McKenzie, “Stability of the Sun-Earth-Moon System,” The Astronomical Journal 82 (1977), 303ff.].

confused you will be

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

I just had a ridiculously awesome idea.... What if both the Earth, or perhaps theia, or the bodies that were either collided where the asteroid belt is now. This tremendous explosion threw material into a catastrophic orbit, which resulted in some of the material coalescing and moving to the orbit that is now earth and it's moon, and the rest scattered in the area we now know as the asteroid belt.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Telos
I thought the moon once part of earth theory was just that, a theory and not scientifically proven.

Was the moon once part of Earth?

Did Venus Give Earth the Moon? Wild New Theory on Lunar History

etc... There are to many theories out there. Just pointing out that.

It's all but certain the Moon came from the Earth after another planet collided with the Earth. It's impossible to determine the evidence any other way.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
Just because they found bits of earth mars and whateva planet on the moon; does not prove the moon was created from any of them, it could so easily have already been in place when the supposed collision happened and it got hit by the debris.

No actually it could not because then it would be the largest body and the Moon would have become the Earth.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Since a couple of you have mentioned Sitchin I thought these would add to the conversation.

as an over-all view then this

Just my .2 cents (adjusted for inflation)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
If the Moon is moving away from the Earth at 3.6 cm a year, times 1 billion, not billions
It would be a distant= 3600000000 Kilometers from earth

Hmmm
Maybe my figures are wrong
or

The theory, assumption is a little fluffy.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: borntowatch
If the Moon is moving away from the Earth at 3.6 cm a year, times 1 billion, not billions

Hmmm

or

Your figures are wrong.
402,336 km = Distance between the Moon and Earth
22,500 km = Original Distance
379,836 = 402,336 km - 22,500
3.78 cm = distance the Moon moves / year
3780000000 cm = Distance after 1 Billion years
378,000 km

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Hmmm

or

Your figures are wrong.
378,000 km

Thanks, wasnt to sure

So a billion years ago the earth and moon were touching, wait a second, I see countless problems with the ....
Ahh what does it matter

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Hmmm

or

Your figures are wrong.

378,000 km

Thanks, wasnt to sure

So a billion years ago the earth and moon were touching, wait a second, I see countless problems with the ....

Ahh what does it matter

How is 22,000 KM touching? That is almost twice the width of the Earth. Please never do math again.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join