It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help me understand why people need assault rifles to protect themselves

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

More of a "soft" troll, IMO, you know, just put in enough to not look too "anti".

Unless of course you really didn't know that civilian AR's and their military counterparts have only their black scary looks in common.

Because that's what you said.

Civilians arming themselves with military grade weapons.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod
Indeed a .223 is plenty of gun for whitetails. I personally know some guy that took a big doe two years ago with a .22 Magnum. She fell in her tracks and one shoulder was pretty well ruined.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: tjack

Yep. If I were to have a military grade weapon, it would probably be one of those automatic grenade launchers.

I like shooting as accurately as I can with a rifle, which (for me) precludes the use of an automatic rifle.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

So how is the "understanding" going cake? Gather any new information? Are you on the fence now? No? Yes? Only 1 response since a slew of some hysterical and legitimate responses came your way?

What are you looking for? "Really" looking for?

Me, I do love my .223 semi-automatic, a mini 30 for some. Why would you need this gun? Well, you see... Bears, and Moose of course! Ohhhh, and so if the need ever arises and civil unrest happens and harm comes my families way. What about, if a band of gypsies raid my house? Or dragon, like Godzilla comes knocking? What about "dem der terrorista's" in da midldle east! You see there guns! There scary... What if the terrorista's attack?

I mean, my .40 will kill them just the same as my Mossberg 560 tactical home defense shotgun.... But when you need that extra distance, never fear the .223 is here!

Broken down version, BECAUSE WE LOVE OUR GUNS!!! Dagnabbit~

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

Agreed. It's totally anti-gun trolling even though the OP stated in the first paragraph that it's well within peoples right to bear arms.

Oh wait-that's me. Try reading the post again.

The Question of the OP is an attempt to skew the perception of the purpose of the second amendment, which has little to do with protecting one's self, although that right is indeed unalienable and God-given.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
You know that you are purposely trying to restart a nasty debate on guns but here's my answer.

Because I can!

If a sane one replies this way, I'm wondering how would be the reply from an insane one. lol

(pun intended)...

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

Yup, it's almost professional troll grade material. I agree with another poster that this thread should be closed down asap. There's plenty of gun banter about the same subject 400 time's over on ATS already.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: FinalCountdown

Perhaps one would need to defend themselves from a large group of home invaders.
You would really need to be able to fire off at least 300 rounds per minute.

Yep. Ever see a mass of people accustomed to electricity food and water suddenly losing these things. No mystery the MSM News and Entertainment did a blitz of Zombie theme memes. Something tells me Science Religion and Government is lying by omission.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
Perhaps you should ask law enforcement why they need military grade weapons. That should give you your answer.

That was my exact thought. If the Police need tanks and armored vehicles to fight crime, why is anyone complaining about a little scary LOOKING rifle? Not automatic weapons, they function just the same as a wooden stock rifle, but LOOK scary to some.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Because I can

We buy the things we can.

Why do people feel the need to buy a Super sized Coke? Or a double bacon cheeseburger with super sized fries?

Because they can. They don't need that stuff, but it is available to purchase so people buy it by the millions of pounds.

Sadly I have to think that, as these members have already pointed out, it, in so many cases, is little more than mindless consumerism. People buy televisions with the capacity to do 10 times the things they will ever need them to do. Likewise with computers. Gotta have the biggest and brightest with all the bells and whistles. Phones, the same thing.

A person buys a product, and no longer needs to buy more of that product unless,,,,, Planned obsolescence kicks in and it breaks down and the consumer needs to purchase another or,,,,,,, the manufacturer comes up with a new and improved model of whatever it is to con onto the consumer. Reasons are invented and sold, and the mindless consumer consumes them, what ever they are. Arguing the validity of these reasons with a consumer who has glued themselves to them is next to futile. They have taken them as their own thoughts.

edit on 5-6-2014 by TerryMcGuire because: sp

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
See:
Waco
Ruby Ridge
Bundy Ranch
etc...

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

You might as well be asking why would anyone "need" to buy a Ferarri if a Toyota will get you from point a to point b. Certainly in stop and go traffic all that speed is kind of wasted.

The reason is because they wish to. And really no other reason than that.

If you think that reason is not a good one.

Then you have to ask. Does a person really need to eat three two thousand calorie meals per day when you can live a healthy lifestyle with 2500 calories per day?
Should we stop people from drinking 64 oz sodas?

See where this is headed?

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
The first thing you need to understand is that the term "assault rifle" is a misnomer. You're using a loaded term right there before you even start to talk. What is different about an "assault" rifle that makes it different than a "rifle?

Nothing, really. It's a semi-automatic, and all that means is that it is a relatively modern design. You don't have to manually throw back a bolt, eject a shell, throw in the bolt, and get another shot. That all happens automatically, but ONE AT A TIME, which is why it's a "semi-automatic" rather than an "automatic" like a machine gun. There are lots of "semi-automatic" rifles. so that fact is not what makes it an "assault" rifle.

It's called an "assault" rifle because it looks bad. It tends to have black plastic parts instead of wooden parts for the non-functional parts of the rifle, for example, the stock. If you replace the black plastic parts with wooden parts and keep the guts of the rifle EXACTLY THE SAME, then suddenly it is no longer an "assault rifle" and turns magically into a "rifle."

So, please take out the judgmental part of your question and restate your question to

"Why do people need rifles to protect themselves?"

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The difference between:

AR-15

AND

Benellie R1

IS

The people holding them

PS: I couldn't use the images in my library because bad coding that's why.
edit on 5-6-2014 by rockn82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
A couple of hundred years ago there was a revolution.

One of the things that held back the revolution from happening sooner was the fact that the revolutionaries could be hanged for even discussing taking up arms against their oppressive occupiers.

After the revolution, their first priorities were to guarantee freedom of speech and the right to bear arms against the government.

That is why.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Because I can, plain and simple.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Why do some people own dozens of antique clocks?

Edit: obviously an antique clock wont protect you, but then, how often will you really need an assault rifle to protect you? Unless you live in the Donbass .......

edit on 5-6-2014 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I'll be honest, all I need at the most is a shotgun to help with home invasion. Why I would want an ar-15? Because that is the weapon I am most familiar with from my military training. It's design is intimately familiar and I already know how to take care of it. I enjoy it's accuracy and believe it or not one can hunt with it since they are ALL semi-automatic and not fully automatic like the obozo crew like to pretend. Not to mention, there is no such thing as an "assault rifle". They are just rifles.
edit on 5-6-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Perhaps you would need a long rifle, but for most home invasion, I think a good shotgun would be better and on the street, a good side arm. Of course, I always say you need hand to hand combat training.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: sulaw

Well, you see... Bears,~

If you use a .223 against a bear, you should keep a toothpick in your pocket. The bear is going to need it.
edit on 5-6-2014 by skunkape23 because: numerical correction

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join