It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble Ultra-Deep Field 2014 update adds ultraviolet data

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
A new edition of the Hubble Ultra Deep Field has been released which includes data from the ultra-violet. You had to be there.

The image itself was made with the significant addition of ultraviolet data to the Hubble Ultra Deep Field, an update of Hubble's famous most distant gaze toward the southern constellation of Fornax. It now covers the entire range of wavelengths available to Hubble's cameras, from ultraviolet through visible to near-infrared. Ultraviolet data adds the crucial capability of studying star formation in the Hubble Ultra Deep Field galaxies between 5 and 10 billion light-years distant.

A sci-news source of the same story:
www.sci-news.com...

This image is a composite of separate exposures taken in 2003 to 2012 with Hubble’s Advanced Camera for Surveys and Wide Field Camera 3 (WFC 3).

Astronomers previously studied the Hubble Ultra Deep Field – a small section of space in the constellation Fornax – in visible and near-infrared light in a series of images captured from 2003 to 2009.

Now, using ultraviolet light, they have combined the full range of colors available to Hubble, stretching all the way from ultraviolet to near-infrared light.

And the new photo is already the lead pic on the Hubble Ultra-Deep Field Wikipedia page:
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 5-6-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-6-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Impressive! I know there's been a previous version around for some time, but images like that always and again get us thinking about our role in the universe, don't they?

The added color range lets us to detect what we can't see and "ultraviolet data" helps us better understand how stars are formed ... unfortunately, that's not really my area of expertise, so I'm afraid it'll be up to other members on here to outline what else all that might tell us about the evolution of the universe.

Again: very impressive & a nice find!

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Thank you for sharing this!

These images have always fascinated me. I was lucky enough to get to see several presentations up on Mauna Loa on the Big Island of Hawaii. The operators of the observatories on the mountain have a deal with the Hawaiian people that they get first access to new images and information gathered from them. The result is a gathering on the mountain once a month. They have slide shows with the most amazing deep space images I have ever seen, they pull out smaller telescopes and set them up for public viewing and there is coffee and cocoa to keep everyone warm. There is even an opening and closing chant. They are the most memorable gatherings I have ever been lucky enough to be a part of. If you ever get a chance, it makes the entire trip worth it.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
The universe is amazing.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

That has to be the greatest picture ever taken by man , thousands of years in the making.
Behold the face of God.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Thanks everyone, and I like it too. I've often said, here and elsewhere, that the Hubble team should be doing a Deep-Field on different parts of the sky every couple of months or so. Half a dozen a year isn't too much to ask for. More, more!

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: woodsmom

Thanks, I haven't heard of this very interesting occurrence. If readers know anyone traveling to Hawaii please let them know.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
WoW What a beauty

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

Check out that "Shining Star" up and in a little from the lower bottom right. I've already made a wish on it. heh heh.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Lol reminds me of Tina. I'll make a wish too.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Interesting suggestions of circular patterns. Shockwaves?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 05:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Interesting suggestions of circular patterns. Shockwaves?

There seem to be circular patterns in almost every picture of stars, I've seen those since I was a kid and have often thought they were the shape of 'bubbles' in space. This one I didn't see, good eye (or overactive brain).

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   

S&F!

OMG! It's full of stars!

So its galaxies all the way down! That is pretty deep!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Starred!

I noticed that straight away also and I agree on the shockwaves and they are most likely SOUND based and here is why ...

Big bang sound waves explain galaxy clustering

The groups trace the 500 million light-year pattern to the first instants after the universe burst into being 13.7 billion years ago, when mysterious quantum fluctuations bubbled through space. These created pockets of different density in a searing fog of ionised gas and photons that eventually clumped into structures like stars and galaxies.

But early on, when clumps of gas began to collapse and grow, photons trapped in the dense fog exerted an outward pressure that counteracted the growth. These opposing forces set off pressure, or sound, waves that oscillated within the fog.

And God said ... Let there be light!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I wondered what the colors of the galaxies can tell us about them?

Because I was thinking about alien civilizations out there and we can use the galaxies color to tells us things like which chemicals are being burned up in the galaxy and which chemicals are created when suns die and also how old the galaxy may be.

The color can also help tell us whether the galaxy is heading towards us, aka blueshift, or away, aka redshift.

So I think at face value small red galaxies are very old and very far away and are heading away from us.

And the at face value large blue galaxies are relatively young and very close and are heading towards us.

Also light can help us detect life because we have our own earth and solar systems as a prime example!

Astronomers Get the Spectrum of Earthshine: A Pale Blue Dot Observed from the Ground

Astronomers have used "earthshine" to get a spectrum of our planet that will be useful in their future searches for Earth-like planets around other stars.

So we can look for similar signals to try hone our aim and home in on aliens!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
The question remains, if we remove time from the universe, will the universe exist?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

LOL, how could we take the time from the universe??? Time and space cannot be separated, that is why we call it the space-time continuum.

Anyway beautifull pictures OP! A new universe of questions =D

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DietJoke

Thanks everyone. I don't think the picture in the OP does the photo justice, how can it? Looking at it on the site as large as it will go, and this is only a computer, not a fill-a-wall size blow-up of the pic, but there seems to be hundreds if not thousands of little blue or light tiny smudges almost everywhere it the pic, tiny images. Are these all galaxies???

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
When I look at images such as these, I am reminded just how important the earth and men really are.

As I have said in the past.
There is nothing to worry about when polluting our environment and wasting all the natural resources, so long as our childern have another place to live.
edit on 6-6-2014 by teamcommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Every source of light in that image is a galaxy.

I was going to ask and wonder, what they have to do to get images from outside out own galaxy, if considering this is true: themetapicture.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join