It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA Calls 'Open Carry' Rallies Scary and "Downright Weird"

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: thisguyrighthere
a reply to: crazyewok

Aside from simple comfort or preference there are legal issues that come with concealed only carry.

Printing, or being able to see the shape of the gun under your clothing even for only a moment when bending or stepping up, can be crime depending on the state you live in. A crime that loses you your carry permit.

If you reach up and the gun becomes exposed, even just part of the gun, that becomes brandishing.

It's not that concealed only is on its face unreasonable. It's that all the proxy legislation that comes with such a restriction is unreasonable.

You'll find that in state with open carry most still prefer to carry concealed but they have that added protection that if they print or "brandish" the law cant come down and destroy their lives over a technicality.

Well that a petty legislative issue that to me is unfair. It one thing to discretely carry a gun even if you do accidentally show and another to walk around with a AK-47 like your in the middle of bagdad.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Well that a petty legislative issue that to me is unfair. It one thing to discretely carry a gun even if you do accidentally show and another to walk around with a AK-47 like your in the middle of bagdad.

And that there is the point of the Open Carry Texas folks carrying long guns.

They cannot lawfully carry handguns openly. Handguns are concealed only.

They can however lawfully carry long guns openly.

The whole message of the protest is "if we can't be reasonable then we'll be unreasonable" until the Texas legislature passes open handgun carry.

The message seems to get lost very quickly in the news media and on forums.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Infringement

-the action of limiting or undermining something.

Tell me, how does concealed carry not limit what weapon can be carried? Can one conceal an AK. A shotgun?

Also, in some states, the lord thine God must virtually drop from the sky and sign the paper work for a concealed weapons permit. In VA I know that for a fact as I have had multiple family member (one who was a game warden for 20 odd years and at the time he got his CWP he was 71) go through the process. It isn't as easy as saying, "yeah, I'd like a CWP"......Another infringement. Yeah, they all got them in the end....that isn't the point. LIMITING - key word.

ETA: That being said, open carry of a handgun is allowed in VA. I see this all the time in the local stores. There are quite a few who open carry in this area, especially in the summer time (snakes and other various "dangerous" creatures in these here mountains)

edit on 5-6-2014 by Jakal26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I agree, they are weird. And they don't help the 2nd Amendment cause. It's similar to gay pride parades. Flaunting your beliefs in other peoples faces doesn't make people sympathetic to your cause. Generally it has the opposite effect.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
NRA wasnt much better in the past when it came to attempts to marrying widespread gun ownership and keeping the guns safe and off the streets when America isnt being invaded or the next hitler moves into the white house.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

There is no "2nd amendment cause".....there is only an inalienable right that will not be taken. I do not seek to make others "sympathetic" to my "cause". Their opinion means nothing, besides being an opinion. I WILL keep my firearms, those who seek to take them will have to take them by force. It has not yet come to that but the time very well may come that the ass will have to back up the mouth.

I am not an irrational person. I seek to harm none besides those who seek to harm me. I do not like killing but will kill if it is necessary to protect my family and myself. Keeping firearms is an essential part of being protected. It provides a deterrent to those who may seek to harm others. Many of them, if not most, are opportunists.....they seek out the weak. I choose not to fit that bill. Others can choose whatever they like, that is not my choice or my problem, or my business...for that matter.

Owning and possessing weapons and the inalienable right to do so is NOT a "belief"....it is an inalienable right. It is fact. Belief requires "faith" that something be true. I factually define my right to own firearms, there is no "belief" involved. It is however, the belief of others that they can deny me said inalienable right.......I say, try me. (I also say that knowing that anyone can be Mr. Internet Warrior, bad ass hero man...Having said that as well, I say.....try me)

There is a reason it is flaunted. Shock value. Sort of like the ignorant do when they flaunt gun violence and their "reasoning" about "gun control" in the faces of those that know how ignorant it is to give up your arms in the world in which we find ourselves.

There is also this thing called "EXERCISING" said right. To exercise means....well, we all know what it means. (Supposedly)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
You know up here in Alaska our gun laws make Texas look like California. People look to Texas and how loud and proud they are about their gun rights and, generally, either view it as the shining beacon of gun freedom or the perfect example of unstable "gun nuts".

The reason I bring it up is that it mirrors my earlier statement about my stance on responsible carry - in that it should be quiet and unassuming, but an opportunity to educate when possible. You see in Alaska you can carry a firearm at 21, with no training, no paperwork, no permit. Open carry, concealed carry, long gun or handgun. There are restricted areas in regards to municipal buildings and the like, but aside from that you can carry anywhere - "no firearms" signs do not have a force of law except in municipal or state buildings.

You don't see us in the news for anything like this though. There's no drama here over it. There's been a couple of open carry rallies, but they are not hugely covered or even attended. Most people who carry just do what they do and that's it. I've stood right next to a LEO at a grocery store open carrying. He glanced at me, then my hip, gave me a nod as he collected his groceries and moved on. I've been at all manner of function concealed carrying and no one would ever know. They wouldn't know that everyone of my friends I was with were also carrying.

To me, that's really how it should be. Walk soft, carry a big stick I believe the saying is. I firmly believe in our liberty to carry. I firmly believe that we should continue to diligently, but intelligently, push back against unlawful gun registration and regulation; while being cognizant of the issues that mental instability brings to the table.

But I also firmly believe that anytime that people organize these demonstrations they are only doing more harm than good. We need to educate and, essentially, convert anti-gun supporters into understanding and, even more so, enjoying what we enjoy and love about our firearms. Waving them around and screaming "Come and take them" doesn't do anything but cement in their minds that their mission is righteous and just.
edit on 5-6-2014 by UnmitigatedDisaster because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join