It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Reuleaux Wheeled Bicycle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Enjoy cycling?
Like to try a bicycle with a difference?
Check this out

A Chinese man has successfully patented his new invention - a bicycle with odd-sided wheels. Guan Baihua, 50, a retired military officer in Qingdao, spent 18 months developing his unique bike. The front wheel is a pentagonal curve of constant width while the back wheel is a reuleaux triangle (a triangular curve of constant width). Guan says the bike is mainly for fun but says riders could use it to lose weight as it takes more effort to pedal.

Quirky for sure
Would it catch on if marketed right?

edit on 4/6/14 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
This is the dumbest invention I have ever seen.
He literally re-invented the wheel, for no good reason.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

Maybe not good for a bicycle, but it's possible a mechanism with parts like this could be useful. I'm not sure how, but it's possible someone could be inspired by this and create something that you consider more reasonable.

Besides, it took a lot of thought for him to create this. But then I'm sure you've created a bunch of way better things for way better reasons so I'm clearly way out of my league here trying to reason with someone who is obviously an ascended master of some sort...I can tell by the way you talk derisively about other people and their accomplishments.

edit on 6/4/2014 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

Maybe not good for a bicycle, but it's possible a mechanism with parts like this could be useful. I'm not sure how, but it's possible someone could be inspired by this and create something that you consider more reasonable.

Besides, it took a lot of thought for him to create this. But then I'm sure you've created a bunch of way better things for way better reasons so I'm clearly way out of my league here trying to reason with someone who is obviously an ascended master of some sort...I can tell by the way you talk derisively about other people and their accomplishments.

There is a way of getting rotary drill to cut square holes that works on a similar principle:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I agree, some inventions are meant to inspire other inventions. If people only could look at the entirety of Edison's patent collection or other prolific inventors. They would see that invention is as much about engineering and scientific study as it is artistic endeavor and creatively solving a problem.

I can see that these non-circular wheels could have application when applied, perhaps, as cylindrical conveyances, replacing the treads on a tank or light armored vehicle. (sorry to have gone immediately to military uses.)

Also, these have other potential uses perhaps on devices that rely on rollers and wheels but might need varying application of torque on surfaces...I don't know either, but a need will come up that will match the capability of the invention.

Either that, or someone will take it even further to the nanoscale making extremely small machines even more efficient.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I'll have to agree with Topcat. It is pretty freakin dumb. Sure, someone could be inspired by his useless invention, but, one could also be inspired by a dumpster smelling up the alleyway. I appreciate your positive outlook however. You are probably a quite nice person to be around, aside from your scathing sarcasm that is. Still, if you re-invent something that is less efficient than the original idea, that's pretty dumb. Maybe I'll invent a lightbulb that requires more energy and gives off less light. Hey!!! I may be on to something!

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I like this guy.
He had a weird idea and found a way to make it not quite, so weird.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

But then I'm sure you've created a bunch of way better things for way better reasons so I'm clearly way out of my league here trying to reason with someone who is obviously an ascended master of some sort...I can tell by the way you talk derisively about other people and their accomplishments.

How can you sarcastically mock me, then say I talk derisively about other people? I guess we are all hypocrites sometimes, but geez.
Anyway, I wasn't trying to be mean. I just call them how I see them. There is a reason that people say to others, "Don't try and re-invent the wheel"
He has made a bike that is harder to use, more expensive to make, less desirable to the public, less comfortable to ride, ect, ect.
Hopefully this will inspire other inventors though.(to do better)

top topics

join