It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

800 babies 'buried in septic tank mass grave' at former Irish children's home.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Almost 800 babies are believed to have been buried in a mass grave in Ireland, in a septic tank next to a home for the children of unmarried mothers.

Between 1925 and 1961, Irish women who lodged at "the Home" in County Galway were made to work for free for as long as three years and handed uniforms and a new name. It was their way of atoning for their out-of-wedlock pregnancy but as Ireland is now learning, some of those illegitimate children encountered a fate much worse.

The Home, which was run by the Bon Secours nuns, was no exception, says Corless. "If you look at the records, babies were dying two a week, but I'm still trying to figure out how they could have disposed of the bodies like that. Couldn't they have afforded baby coffins

800 babies 'buried in septic tank mass grave' at former Irish children's home.

Such a sad story, It must have been so hard for women back then, who found themselves pregnant, they were abandoned by their families and sent to these kind of homes, to work in horrible conditions for no wages, they were often beaten and raped. Many women and children died there because of the terrible conditions.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I saw that. People are going to come on and start screaming that the nuns killed the children or something. But the fact is that places like that - either run by different churches or by the state - had high death rates because we didn't know how to deal with diseases and poverty as well back then. Very sad.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Whatever the reason, its creepy and disgusting.

Not much more to say really.

edit on b5454821 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
When was it that septic systems were implemented there ?, does it make clear that the tank they were found in was not a cistern?.

Newborns are almost completely devoid of anything like real bones because they must be able to flex and contort while exiting the womb through the birth canal, and being dumped into a septic system would almost completely digest them to nothing anyone could identify as human or anything else.

I think it must have been a cistern, or they were not newborns, and possibly happened because of some sickness in the past when infant mortality was higher than today.

Just sayin....

a reply to: DEV1L79

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Was this yet another habit of the Catholic Church in Ireland???

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   

holy made up statistics with a side order of rampant conjecture masquerading as fact

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Hey this story reminds me of some of the articles on psychohistory.com in regard to how many children were sent off back in the day to these sort of places(even ones that had families). Many were killed.

Quite horrible.

psychohistory.com...

Further reading if you're bored or curious.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

I find it amazing that in our 'modern times' TPTB get their knickers in a twist over fanatical Islamic Terrorists when in actual fact there were obviously ''Fanatical'' members of the Church in Ireland who were even more Biggotted in their views…….

IMHO….Religion…… a man made belief system which causes more harm than good….

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Pictures don't lie. They look staged. The same attendants appear in several of the pictures with the same kids. Maybe that was part of a brochure. Unloved kids? Can't make ends meet? Child disposal waiting in sunny and warm Ireland.

Different world back then. People didn't abort babies, they orphaned them.

At least the ones that made it there still had a slim chance of surviving that hell hole.

An 85-year-old woman who survived the children's home in Tuam has told of the miserable conditions at the home, where she was placed in 1932.
The woman, who gave her name only as Mary, and now lives in the west of Ireland, spent four years in the home before being placed with a foster family.
She said: 'I remember going into the home when I was about four. There was a massive hall in it and it was full of young kids running round and they were dirty and cold.
'There were well over 100 children in there and there were three or four nuns who minded us.
'The building was very old and we were let out the odd time, but at night the place was absolutely freezing with big stone walls.
'When we were eating it was in this big long hall and they gave us all this soup out of a big pot, which I remember very well. It was rotten to taste, but it was better than starving.'
Mary recalled that the children were 'rarely washed', and often wore the same clothes for weeks at a time.
She said: 'We were filthy dirty. I remember one time when I soiled myself, the nuns ducked me down into a big cold bath and I never liked nuns after that.'

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Follow the money,there has to be a trail.

Investigate and give some recognition to the humans buried there,we will never now their truths,but we can recognise and respect them properly.

Murder Incorporated is what this sounds like,Murder to support societal status quos,sickening is what it is.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
I saw that. People are going to come on and start screaming that the nuns killed the children or something. But the fact is that places like that - either run by different churches or by the state - had high death rates because we didn't know how to deal with diseases and poverty as well back then. Very sad.

Maybe the nuns themselves didn't kill, but being supposedly morally superior and holy, they should have provided alternatives to those that did the killing. The religious institution turning a blind eye to this atrocity is just as bad. The traditional protection of religious institutions continued until recently, where sexual abuse of minors was ignored all the way up to the highest postion.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

probably a priest having fun with the nuns

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Makes me sick.
This was a 'home' run by nuns. People that are supposed to be devoted to 'god'.
People with not an ounce of empathy in their bodies.
People who spend most of their time praying, for what i dont know. Look what they go and do.
Im disgusted.
i know they didnt kill the babies, but they could have at least given them a proper burial.
Dumping them in a septic tank?
Yeah, your god will be so proud...
edit on 4/6/14 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

While I don't think that those nuns deliberately killed children and even further, I have no doubt that most of them tried very hard to give the best care that they could with what they did have, to pass off the death rate to simple ignorance regarding disease and poverty is probably overly simplistic.

Many of these institutions were created during the Victorian era when the social understanding was that the poor were deficient human beings or well... not quite human at all. Remnants of this attitude persist to this day and the perspective still had social teeth well into the 30's and 40's. There were not a lot of financial resources put into these and there was an covert (and occasionally overt) understanding that the death of the poor would probably benefit society as a whole. I won't blame the nuns but I do think that there were circumstances on an institutional level where resources were deliberately withheld so that more of these children would die.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
they should have provided alternatives to those that did the killing.

Like what? Put them in the state institutions that were just as bad? What did the killing was disease and the fact that back then no one knew how to deal with it. This isn't a 'catholic thing' ... it's a 'thing of the times'. Look at all the asylums and TB centers and state run orphanages. They all had very high death rates. It's what it was like back then. There weren't 'better places' to go to.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

Oh yes, one of many.
Done by an order of the most corrupt, peadophillic, abusing religious organisation in the World, the catholic church

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

What did the killing was disease

Dont be selective with the information,
From the link:

Children were malnourished and neglected, which caused many of deaths

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

they should have provided alternatives to those that did the killing.

Like what? Put them in the state institutions that were just as bad? What did the killing was disease and the fact that back then no one knew how to deal with it. This isn't a 'catholic thing' ... it's a 'thing of the times'. Look at all the asylums and TB centers and state run orphanages. They all had very high death rates. It's what it was like back then. There weren't 'better places' to go to.

Quote you: "What did the killing was disease and the fact that back then no one knew how to deal with it".

From the article: "Children were MALNOURISHED and NEGLECTED, which caused MANY of deaths". (caps mine)

So, no. Disease didn't cause a majority of the deaths, despite your assertion. And the bodies were in a septic tank. So, yes, it is a 'catholic thing'. Couldn't the Bon Secours nuns who ran the home at least have directed the babies to be buried in consecrated ground instead of a septic tank (maybe that's where the term "Holy Sh#t" originated from)? Or at least buried them in coffins? These nuns were no better than common murdering enabler criminals, not representatives of Christ here on earth, as nuns and priests tout they are.

edit on 4-6-2014 by UnBreakable because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

the pictures are irrelevant - try reading the claims of the tail again - rationally this time - not hysterically

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Theres always gotta be some religious nut apologist doesn't there?
The totally sick behavior of those in charge should be subject to forensic investigation for murder....right on up to those in the Vatican who set this # up....
Religion has been the death of more people than disease....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join