It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Refuses to Defend its South China Sea Claims to UN Court

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   
China Refuses to Defend its South China Sea Claims to UN Court

China refused to defend its territorial claims in the South China Sea to a United Nations tribunal because it doesn’t recognize international arbitration of its dispute with the Philippines.

“China’s position that it will not accept or participate in the tribunal case involving the Philippines hasn’t changed,” Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hong Lei said in Beijing today.

The UN’s Permanent Court of Arbitration announced yesterday it was giving China until Dec. 15 to respond to the complaint by the Philippines filed in March, when it asked the court to uphold its right to exploit waters within its 200-nautical mile exclusive economic zone. So far China has refused any international efforts to resolve the dispute, insisting any discussions on the issue must be held directly between China and the Philippines.

Under President Xi Jinping, China has been tapping its economic and military muscle to assert its claims to surrounding waters that may be rich in mineral and energy deposits. China claims much of the South China Sea under its “nine dash-line” map, first published in 1947, which extends hundreds of miles south from China’s Hainan Island to equatorial waters off the coast of Borneo, taking in some of the world’s busiest shipping lanes.

Click link for remainder of article...

Like we never saw this coming down the pipeline.

Apparently China will use the UN when they know the outcome will be in their favor. When they know it wont be, they dismiss the UN and demand nations deal directly with China. Apparently China is pulling a Russia now by intimidating neighbor countries in an effort to force them to Acquiesce and capitulate.

Another incident between China and Vietnam occurred in disputed waters.

I'm thinking whoever created the human race needs to push the reset button.
edit on 4-6-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Well, China has been wheeling and dealing with Russia a lot lately. My guess is that Putin gave them a peeksy at his playbook.

In all seriousness though, I disagree with the reset button. I think whoever created GOVERNMENTS needs to press the reset button. It seems all but a few of them are horrible at their job.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: andr3w68

Well, China has been wheeling and dealing with Russia a lot lately. My guess is that Putin gave them a peeksy at his playbook.

In all seriousness though, I disagree with the reset button. I think whoever created GOVERNMENTS needs to press the reset button. It seems all but a few of them are horrible at their job.

Lol..

I think the relation between Russia and China will be short lived. What I am seeing now is a more aggressive Russia and a more aggressive China. The enemy of my enemy is my friend type set up.

Interestingly enough Russia and China and the actions they are taking militarily is based on criteria that is having the opposite effect.

With Russia there were issues about NATO expansion, Ukraine looking at coming into the EU, not wanting foreign forces close to their borders. The actions taken by Russia has had the completely opposite effect. China is doing the same thing. Demanding the US stay out of the area while directly challenging other nations in the region. A spike in military encounters, etc. Chinas actions are resulting in Asian nations looking to the US for assistance. We have shifted forces to the Pacific.

Part of me wonders if China / Russia foreign policy is nothing more than the magic 8 ball from the 1980's.

China has very backwards interpretations of UN agreements, specifically the EEZ (exclusive Economic Zone). It can extend out to 200 miles from territory. The purpose is to allow exploitation of resources in that zone by one nation. While the resources are restricted freedom of air and naval navigation are present and are still considered international waters / airspace.

When 2 nations EEZ overlap an agreement is usually reached. China for some reason thinks the 200 mile claim is exclusively reserved for them regardless if the 200 miles is within the other nations 200 miles.

Refusing to use the UN is concerning. To me it looks like China is going to get aggressive to defend their claims. I think China found the backbone to do this with the current relations with Russia.

As for the rest button - I can go along with that.
edit on 4-6-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Why the hell should they have to defend their actions to the UN?

I mean, it's not like others are made to go before a UN court for stealing others land.... is it Mr. Nutty-Yahoo?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

originally posted by: andr3w68

Lol..

I think the relation between Russia and China will be short lived. What I am seeing now is a more aggressive Russia and a more aggressive China. The enemy of my enemy is my friend type set up.

Interestingly enough Russia and China and the actions they are taking militarily is based on criteria that is having the opposite effect.

With Russia there were issues about NATO expansion, Ukraine looking at coming into the EU, not wanting foreign forces close to their borders. The actions taken by Russia has had the completely opposite effect. China is doing the same thing. Demanding the US stay out of the area while directly challenging other nations in the region. A spike in military encounters, etc. Chinas actions are resulting in Asian nations looking to the US for assistance. We have shifted forces to the Pacific.

Part of me wonders if China / Russia foreign policy is nothing more than the magic 8 ball from the 1980's.

China has very backwards interpretations of UN agreements, specifically the EEZ (exclusive Economic Zone). It can extend out to 200 miles from territory. The purpose is to allow exploitation of resources in that zone by one nation. While the resources are restricted freedom of air and naval navigation are present and are still considered international waters / airspace.

When 2 nations EEZ overlap an agreement is usually reached. China for some reason thinks the 200 mile claim is exclusively reserved for them regardless if the 200 miles is within the other nations 200 miles.

Refusing to use the UN is concerning. To me it looks like China is going to get aggressive to defend their claims. I think China found the backbone to do this with the current relations with Russia.

As for the rest button - I can go along with that.

Russia actually proposed an agreement that would allow for Ukraine to trade with Russia and the EU however this would have posed difficult within the EU frameworks for co-operation of trade, what I find more worrying is from the onset the US were on the ground influencing what was going on, on Maidan and was also pledging support while the aggressive takeover of Kiev was taking place and quite frankly I find it appalling how we can argue and kick up that much of a fuss when It comes to Syria's governmental crackdown on the Rebels yet be supportive to those who crackdown in quite a brutal manor on those in Eastern Ukraine...

That's not to say Russia doesn't have its own agenda I men Come on its Russia, Putin is still hurting for the way the cold war was put on pause and he will bring back the soviet union in a new light, what I find quite concerning is the Eurasian Union and the recent deal between Russia and China, one of the main contributes to Hitler losing WW2 was the fact off he was at war with the two greatest industrial power s in the world at the time and look at what we are about to slam into head 1st the only nation capable of protracting a force on multiple fronts as the current rate of armed forces would permit is the US, would the world have enough time before a nuclear exchange to enact a military draft ? and are we as people actually prepared to allow this kind of madness to ascend on our world ?

If we were to look at the 99 pristina incident where Russian and Western Troops were near enough in an open fire fight, the incident was down to Russia still wanting recognition as a power and to be seen and heard on the world stage with respect (although admittedly there is a thin line between respect and fear), now we jump ahead to today Russia has become strong again and it weighed in on Syria and now we have Ukraine In my opinion it is to see how far Russia can protract its forces without having cracks in their defences if Russia was to enter Ukraine would it be able to defend Syria ? and the moment it kicks off in Ukraine we can easily bet Asia will blow up and I dare say the Middle East.

The world map is about to be redrawn and we the west are falling for sucker punch after sucker punch

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Britguy
Why the hell should they have to defend their actions to the UN?

I mean, it's not like others are made to go before a UN court for stealing others land.... is it Mr. Nutty-Yahoo?

It was brought to the UN and a resolution was put in place I think it was 246 or 242 (something along them lines) problem being is that there is so much going on around that area it would be near impossible without using direct force and entering a very prolonged conflict with both sides as not to be seen as biased to enforce the resolution and that just won't happen to much power, money and religion involved

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
The UN seems to be nothing more then a tool that can be ignored if needs be . Think Israel or other colonial powers that ignore the indigenous populations of what ever region of the earth they call their home . I guess when someone in Europe decided to draw lines on a map of the earth they forgot to ask the people that were there . Now unless you were determined to be this or that place all you can do is ask for some consideration . Weather you get heard is a matter for the big boys to decide based on their own strategic desires .Heck if you are a big boy you can create a new country like South Sudan or Kosovo or even a Israel . If you are American you can just call a place a State even if it's many miles from your border .

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Ohh great i absolutely love this. America thought they were the only country that can do what they want. Now the shoe is on the other foot. Ha ha. Go China do not let the puppet kangaroo court and its useless masters intimidate you.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: neversaynever
Ohh great i absolutely love this. America thought they were the only country that can do what they want. Now the shoe is on the other foot. Ha ha. Go China do not let the puppet kangaroo court and its useless masters intimidate you.

Last I checked the US has no EEZ issues with Canada or Mexico.

This one is all China.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: neversaynever

Meanwhile it was wrong when the US did it and it's wrong for China to do now.

China intimidates Vietnam, the Philippines etc etc etc and the cheerleaders come crawling out of the woodwork

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

This one is all China.

Canada and the US, currently, have 5 open disputes, all of which will affect EEZ.
2nd.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Wonder if these two stories are linked to China's hesitance to trust the Philippines without direct talks???

U.S. seeks investment chance in Philippines

MANILA, June 4 (Xinhua) -- The United States is looking at potential investment opportunities in the Philippines particularly in the field of energy, manufacturing, tourism, mass transit, infrastructure in Mindanao, U.S. Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker revealed here Wednesday.

Philippine gov't asked to defend legality of new military pact with U.S.

Petitioners argued that the agreement violates the Philippine Constitution which requires that any foreign military bases, troops or facilities "shall not be allowed in the Philippines except under a treaty duly concurred in by the Senate."

Really it's just another day, another statement from China to say they'll "Do As Thou Wilt"...
"Somebody Stop Me" *Jim Carey Voice*
"Whatcha Gonna Do Brother?" *Hulk Hogan Voice*

America better say their Prayers & eat their Vyta-Mins...
Cos China is growing as The Superpower with each passing day!!!

Peace everybody!!!
edit on 4-6-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: Auto-Correct!!!

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Apparently China will use the UN when they know the outcome will be in their favor. When they know it wont be, they dismiss the UN and demand nations deal directly with China. Apparently China is pulling a Russia now by intimidating neighbor countries in an effort to force them to Acquiesce and capitulate.

China should not have been allowed to grow so much, especially at the detriment if the US. To realize that there are now many rich Chinese at the expense of America's people is all I need as motivation. We should employ some weaponry in their direction. Take out their food stores, then watch the 1 billion+ rats in a cage eat each other.
And sell them food at a very high price.

If we don't strike them now, our grandkids will suffer under Chinese influence. Heck, we suffer from them now.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

China's strength is only passing. They can't hold their nation together, never could. Look at how their people live, it's almost a fictional caricature of how we envision a literal dystopian future. Complete with glowing propaganda telling you everything is ALRIGHT.

We're capitalizing on their perceived strength now because they appear strong, but they are a paper tiger and their people are on the verge of revolution again. For Christ's sake they even have mobile public beat down squads, and the Chinese recently killed one of them out of frustration of their abuses.

Violent Government Thugs Beaten To Death

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: yourignoranceisbliss

a reply to: yourignoranceisbliss

China's strength is only passing. They can't hold their nation together, never could.

To be fair... Military power & political strength are not intrinsically linked to holding the nation together!!!
The US (from what I read daily on ATS) & the UK (through living here) are falling apart on the inside...
But I'd never doubt their Military possibilities!!!

& no-one can deny that right now China is making the demands on the World stage...
I guess we just have to watch this space!!!

Look at how their people live, it's almost a fictional caricature of how we envision a literal dystopian future. Complete with glowing propaganda telling you everything is ALRIGHT.

You could quite easily be talking about the UK here...
I cannot comment on America as I'm not a resident, but England especially is being torn apart by a party called UKIP with a party leader as charismatic as Mr.Hitler was...
Not so evil, but potentially just as dangerous as a delegate!!!
& our Country's Prime Minister is just the corporation's Dream Leader...
Our next Election is a grim situation looking ahead!!!

Militarily China are growing stronger by the day...
& Politically at least, China seem to be holding it together...
I guess Communism always works within the Political establishment...
The people suffer, but all systems seem to be flawed in some sense that affects us everyday citizens!!!

Interesting link you shared...
An uprising might not be far as you mentioned!!!

Peace Bliss!!!

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I'm thinking whoever created the human race needs to push the reset button.
People should hit the "tune out the world" button, to reset it to the Off position.
If not, they may be next to feel the affects of the hegemony of "might makes right".

edit on 4-6-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
That's called being Guilty

China has made so e wild and ridiculous claims

Flat out bulling and land grabbing

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
They're still behind in tech capability (That they can't copy anyway) After Billary sold them their ICBM capabilities gleaned from a rocket tech transfer I'm sure he was well compensated for.They are still plagued with primitive malfunctioning engines. As combatants in a conventional fight,we still have the biggest and best with far more nasty under wraps if needed.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

This one is all China.

Canada and the US, currently, have 5 open disputes, all of which will affect EEZ.
2nd.

The United States and Canada have territory disputes and neither the US nor Canada (nor any other country except China) interpret the EEZ in the manner China does.

An EEZ applies to resources only. An EEZ is not territorial, either in the sea or in the sky. They are considered international airspace / internal waters.

China is claiming jurisdiction and is attempting to use the EEZ as a wedge which is exactly why China refused to recognize the UN decision.

As I stated, China will use the UN when it benefits them, like using the EEZ established by the UN to support their position / claims while at the same time rejecting the UN when China knows the UN will rule against them.

This one is all china.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

While agree with your observations on military ability and China coming up in the wings the one issue that holds China is their inability to project force.

Its one of the reason they have not invaded Taiwan. Sure China could level it with missile attacks however those missiles wont do much good when Chinese troops hit the beach, at which point they lose the missile ability. They do not have the airlift / sealift in the numbers needed.

In a land war we would have issues. The issue currently is China does not have the sea abilities / air abilities to completely and totally dominate the region to enforce their claims.

The end run on that would be for china to essentially invade its land neighbors and hope the sea neighbors capitulate.

China and Vietnam have no love for each other and have fought several wars in the past. Vietnam is one of few countries in that region who I don't see backing down against China (India being the other should this mess land in their lap and who also has fought several wars against China).

By trying to remove the UN it allows China to control the media cycle. They don't have to play defense to the world community questioning them in the UN.

top topics

join