It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US General: Freed Bergdahl May Face Investigation

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I am sure he means execution by firing squad after a court martial, likely to find him guilty. But, then, we face the same predicament as we are in with the Fort Hood incident.

Obama is the one who would have to sign the death warrant, and he cannot do that to a fellow muslim. Why do you think they played all the beard/court games? To drag it out as long as they could without it becoming overly obvious.

Even havng been found guilty, has he been sentenced to death, and Obama signed the death warrant for his execution? No? Hmm. Why is that?

I'm thinking, I'm thinking....

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth
Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion!

As for roadblocks, they already have. Where every other hearing has been public, they want this one private. The public outcry us already, "Why?", and the WH is using the worn out, "It's classified" line.

So, either it will be public, and obfuscated, like Benghazi, or it will be private, and settled in the back, darkened halls of congress for promises of pork barrel monies to line someones' pockets, a la Harry Reid, et al.

Either way, the entire thing is already displaying the same signs of a cover-up, as is evidenced by the Rice tv rounds/lies campaign. Which thankfully, no one is buying this go-round.

Except the most ardent supporters of Obama, of course.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Libertygal

I am sure he means execution by firing squad after a court martial, likely to find him guilty. But, then, we face the same predicament as we are in with the Fort Hood incident.

The Ft. Hood and this guys situation are different. Ft. Hood deaths were a direct result of the Major. In this case the deaths of military members trying to locate him are indirect. I am sure someone could try and make the argument this soldiers actions directly resulted in the deaths of those military members.

The roadblock there is how do you make a case for direct involvement when the person in question has absolutely no idea of any rescue plans etc.

Obama is the one who would have to sign the death warrant, and he cannot do that to a fellow muslim. Why do you think they played all the beard/court games? To drag it out as long as they could without it becoming overly obvious.

The President does not sign military death warrants. The Judge Advocate General for the Army branch does.

Even havng been found guilty, has he been sentenced to death, and Obama signed the death warrant for his execution? No? Hmm. Why is that?

I'm thinking, I'm thinking....

not quite sure what you are referencing in your last segment so if you an elaborate a little more. If you are referring to the soldier that was exchanged - He is under investigation to determine if he violated the UCMJ. Its difficult to find a person guilty and sentence them to death without ever seeing the inside of a courtroom / tribunal.

JAG, not POTUS, signs the death warrant.
edit on 4-6-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Was referring to Obama not, never will sign Nidal Hasan's death warrant, as I also feel this guy will never seen the inside of a courtroom. If he does, he surely won't go to court before November of 2016.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   
This is one of those rare cases in which I agree with the conservative critics. This guy went AWOL in a combat situation -- one could even say he deserted. What actually went on with him and the Taliban is not known; perhaps he willingly made himself a hostage for a prisoner exchange.

What makes this worse, besides the known Taliban combatants of high value who were traded for this loser, US troops may have been killed trying to find him.

All the BS about his guy serving with honor and distinction shows what a bunch of lying SoS's the WH and its Pentagon lackeys are.

If he is tried/given a court martial, this exchange will look even more ridiculous, so I doubt that will happen. The only possibility of a good outcome is if the released Taliban members are kept track of and droned as soon as they get out of prison -- or are followed for a while in order to get at more Taliban targets. However, even if this occurs down the road, for the time being this looks like a total cluster funk by the Oblabla administration. Moreover, it is apparently illegal, given that the president is supposed to consult with Congress by law on this matter. Of course Oblabla wrote a signing statement saying he disagreed with that portion of the law; never mind that he spoke out against presidential signing statements when he first ran for president.

Can't believe the liberal media defending this move. But I also find the conservative media making a big deal out of the father having a Taliban-like beard to be ridiculous; guess all the Duck Dynasty dudes and 2/3rds of ZZ Top are Taliban sympathizers.
edit on 4-6-2014 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-6-2014 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Libertygal

The President does not sign death warrants.

JAG does.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TheToastmanCometh

It sounds as though you do not know what happened, but are setting the scene for excuses to be sure.

He asked about the repercussions of leaving with a weapon. When he was told the punishments he mailed his personal belongings home, left his weapon and other sensitive items on base, and went AWOL in search of the Taliban.

He suffers what most soldiers do when faced with the realities of war. Disillusionment.

While 95% of soldiers will struggle within themselves and with their peers to right the wrongs they see, 4.9% will become conscientious objectors and refuse to fight in any way. Bergdhal is part of the .1% that abandoned his post, became a traitor to his country and fellow soldiers, and actively sought to enlist with the enemy.

As a soldier and as a combat veteran I understand fully the turmoil a man faces in war. I have fought those demons for years through multiple deployments myself. As a leader in war, it was by far harder to keep my people level headed and sane than it was to meet with and engage the enemy.

Bergdahl's leadership failed as they did not see him for what he was. A sympathizer with an overpowering desire to "go native". We have e-mails for the soldier condemning his peers and superiors to his father. Where are his e-mails to the IG? Where did he report crimes? What evidence did he have to support his accusations? If we have access to one we should have access to the other. The media has never been shy about throwing dirt on our soldiers so I would not accept that as an excuse. I simply do not believe the evidence exists.

I am without doubt the Private witnessed things he did not agree with. However I have to ask if he was seeing crimes committed by soldiers or was his Islamophilia causing him too much bias? Did he make up most of what he witnessed just to justify his desertion and cowardice?

Most importantly, will an administration that has now provided hard support to a terrorist organization allow the American people to see the truth of what happened?

edit on 4-6-2014 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   

I think she means that as a soldier:

"Desertion during a time of war is punishable by death"

Not so much a murder conviction in court for the death of his fellow troops. His conviction by Court Martial is a different ball game so to speak.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: Advantage

If there is evidence to support the claims then he should be charged and held accountable. As for execution I am not sure in what manner you mean. Executed as a result of a trial or right now because of the allegations.

If we ignore the law and go straight to an execution then we are no better than any number of countries we have taken to task for the same thing. He is innocent until proven guilty so as much as we don't like the taste of that its a pill we have to swallow.

Absolutely. However, we dont follow USMJ in many instances. There will be no execution even for treason or aiding the enemy in the new US.

"If any person or persons, owing allegiance to the United States of America, shall levy war against them, or shall adhere to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States, or elsewhere, and shall be thereof convicted on confession in open Court, or on the testimony of two witnesses to the same overt act of the treason whereof he or they shall stand indicted, such person or persons shall be adjudged guilty of treason against the United States, and SHALL SUFFER DEATH; "

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
It is good if he isn't put to death. Killing people who aren't in the act of being a danger to you is wrong.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
It is good if he isn't put to death. Killing people who aren't in the act of being a danger to you is wrong.

You and I will differ here buddy boy
I am a great by the booker stickler for following law, rules, and orders ... being exact. My nickname among some is Sgt. Friday. LOL! There has to be consequences for actions. He knew them. Blood was spilled looking for him... he made his choices and must be prepared to suffer the consequences.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

Volunteers were killed looking for him. Looking after his senior leaders already knew he had deserted. We all knew he deserted. But remember: our military is a volunteer military. They are there to voluntarily take orders.

I do think he shouldn't have ramifications. But us murdering him under the guise of officialdom is just not going to cut it for me.

I guess I should add: i am a horrible rules follower. Despite being "in charge" of company policy enforcement. Strange juxtaposition there.

edit on 6/4/2014 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

It is interesting xuenchen specially when the polls at least here in my neck of the woods on the issue are stating to look very negative on Obama.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Send Bergdahl to Gitmo...OR Obama can have him 'droned' as soon as he sets foot on American soil.
edit on 4-6-2014 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Send Bergdahl to Gitmo...OR Obama can have him 'droned' as soon as he sets foot on American soil.

Or,

0bama can insist on Bergdahl getting VA healthcare !!

That alone could be a death sentence.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I want to know if he gets back pay!

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux
Back Pay's a Bi**h!
'Pay Back' sounds more needed here!

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

When a person voluntarily enlists in the military they know what they are getting into since its spelled out in their contract. That includes the voluntary restriction of some constitutional rights. If he had a moral objection to what he was asked to do then he should have used the remedies in place, like requesting Conscientious objector status.

He voluntarily joined the military.
He voluntarily took an oath.
He voluntarily walked off base (if accounts are correct).
He voluntarily made contact with the Taliban.

The people who went to rescue him went voluntarily.

The UCMJ is designed to ensue members of the military will risk their lives to save other members. Their must be a trust for it to work properly. If all accounts are true then 14 volunteers sacrificed their lives to locate someone who broke that trust. To add insult to injury of those 14 deaths Obama opted to violate the law and give up 5 terrorists.

Now - Please explain if you don't mind how the 14 people who died are being given proper respect for their sacrifice when Obama could have just sent the 5 back from the moment this guy walked off base?

Those 14 people died for absolutely no reason at all and instead of honoring their sacrifice Obama and this guy took a massive dump on their graves.

To add even more insult to injury you have the family of 2 American civilian hostages demanding to know why they were not included in this exchange.

There is a reason we don't negotiate with terrorists...

Because of Obama and his ignorant, ill informed, spotlight seeking, political backstabbing amateur antics he has established a new doctrine where he decides which americans are worth saving and which ones are not worth saving.

In his very first action in this new policy of his he decided a possible deserter is more important than 2 civilians who were taken solely because they were American.

If people want to try this soldier then by all means do it. However it must be done in compliance with the law and he is innocent until proven guilty by a court martial.

With that said Obama broke the law in an effort to bring this guy back home and he did it for no other reason than politics.

You want to charge one with a crime they make damn sure there is an open seat for Obama to join him. By charging the solider and not Obama adds another layer of manure on top of the insults and injury to the 14 who died for no other reason than Obama wanted a political win to drowned out the scandals. His minions making the talk show rounds are telling lies to support Obama's complete and total failure.

Congress must appoint a special prosecutor to investigate Obama and his associates. Having the DOJ do it would be like having the SS investigate Auschwitz.

This country would be better off if we had the cast of HeeHaw running things instead of Obama.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Well finally the military community are talking and they are not happy, neither the veterans.

Bergdahl's Release Spurs Backlash among Soldiers

Members from his unit and military personnel that knew him are still calling him a deserter and demand that he should be court martialed.

This is not good for his image.

The surprise release of U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl over the weekend has elicited a furious backlash among military veterans and some civilians who want the soldier to be tried for desertion.

Opposition groups have appeared on Facebook. One titled "Bowe Bergdahl is NOT a Hero!" had more than 10,000 members as of Monday evening. The site features pictures of six soldiers who were killed in Afghanistan during missions to allegedly find the prisoner of war.

The Facebook group also includes a link to a petition accusing Bergdahl of desertion and being absent without leave -- both violations of military law.

www.military.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage

Hey Xcat

He wrote a letter when HE WALKED AWAY and deserted. It is claimed in the letter he said he was "ashamed" to be an American and disillusioned. He walked away... and I question his "capture". I think it was more of a surrender and join personally.

IMO.. he should be executed.

Another IMO.. Obama should be investigated and impeached for this action. Whomever else went in on this should be investigated and prosecuted. This Administration ( or ANY) isnt meant to be a dictatorship that created scenarios that benefit our enemies. I cant wrap my head around the decision that was made concerning this traitor. Ive not agreed with many actions this administration has made... but this one is shocking.

Just saying, I immediately see this obvious irony with what you write: Perhaps he was ashamed to be an American for what politics has represented and made this country look like, and then vacated his duty. I don't really defend this, but ….hope you get my point. So whom do we really put the screws to, here, in this situation, as from what you describe, surely folks can obviously see it's a case of spiralling descent for everyone, from the soldiers to the politicians to the rest of us….

I don't know, here lately, I keep thinking of Reagan's big phrase (everyone's star wars sat hero): trickle down economics….

edit on 4-6-2014 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join