It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sexual Harrasment of Young Women, A Serious But Also Funny Submission.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I came across a tumblr page this morning that i cannot link because it would probably break T&C because of:
1) Advertising
2) Sexual themes contained within.

This tumblr page exists for the soul purpose so that follower's, mainly young girls, can send screenshots of conversations where random guys have tried to engage them in personal conversations about themselves, their sexual habits and their sexual desires. This can range from asking her "What colour panties are you wearing" "Do you want to see my male genitalia" "Send me a nude photo""Have you ever masturbated"

The screenshots clearly show that the girls in question never initiated any type of sexual innuendo's, nor displayed any sense of being interested in engaging in such talk - There are even case's where girls have repeatedly ignored the messages and the same guy will continue to bombard them with the sexually suggestive talk.

I mentioned this at work today to a girl who is in her early 20's, very pretty, single etc and she laughed saying she gets this all the time and is freaked out by it. It seems to be absolutely normal for girls to be approached in such a way.

I wish i could link the tumblr page to you so you could see for yourself and tell me if you think its actually harassment of women/young girls.

More so, the guys that know about the page often message the owner to tell them how offended they are!

I want to know how many of you think its socially acceptable to act in this way towards anyone? If anything their speaking to the girl(s) like they're less than human, readying them for a life where they dont get taken seriously because no man has ever had to stop and treat them like their a human being with thoughts and feelings!

Flame on!!
edit on 3-6-2014 by SearchLightsInc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Its called 'trying their luck' obvs some girls easily take the bait some don't..
what concerns me is how can anyone trust there partner if such things are happening behind closed doors ie social media
I mean were all human and if a better offer comes along we take it , tbh social media has ruined society, long gone are the days where you had to actually confront a person to ask if they would like to meet up and then agreeing a time and place to meet.
these days you have no idea who your partner is talking too or what theyre planning.

a reply to: [post=17994505]SearchLightsInc[/pos

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
It's human nature. Sex isn't something that needs to be hidden and secretive. If sex were a more open and less shunned thing it wouldn't be as creepy to anyone. It is a natural drive that males feel very strongly. As such they will use any means necessary to get it. Even if that means asking a bunch of random women "creepy" things.

If a woman looks like she is being sexual/seductive men will respond in turn.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: SearchLightsInc

Well the question I would ask those men is if they would feel it was sexual harassment if a male said those same things to them? If yes then at what point did they believe that doing to same to a woman was acceptable?

Because she's a woman and should just "take it" as a compliment?

It's not.

I get hit on quite a bit but that sort of behavior is unacceptable. In the times that men did do that sort of thing I called it out. I can see a 14 year old boy being an idiot in front of his friends but a grown man acting that way is ridiculous.

Edit: Also this opinion is in the context of a woman who in no way has been stating she wants to hook up etc. I am just speaking of the harassment that seems to be widespread toward ALL women.
edit on 3-6-2014 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
The girls that are sending these screen shots in are clearly not interested but the boys are PERSISTENT to say the least. Trying your luck is one thing, repeatedly suggesting sexual remarks IS harassment.

If you inbox me for the link i'll happily share it with you all (If that's allowed mods!?)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
May I ask what country you are from?

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I believe you. No need for links.

There are many men that do that and it's ridiculous and disrespectful.

When taken into consideration along with the fact that up to a fourth of women report being raped at some point in their lives it also paints a potentially scary picture as to how that sort of behavior can manifest into real world actions.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: theyknowwhoyouare
It's human nature.

Its not human nature to open a coversation with "Hi, wanna see my wang?"

Sex isn't something that needs to be hidden and secretive. If sex were a more open and less shunned thing it wouldn't be as creepy to anyone.

Having a random guy ask you if you masturbate is incredibly creepy, invasive and flat out degrading. Its not his business. She's clearly not interesting in speaking about sexual things = NOT ACCEPTABLE CONVERSATION.

It is a natural drive that males feel very strongly.

Indeed, but that doesnt give anyone a green light to try and hump every living thing when they're clearly not interested?

As such they will use any means necessary to get it. Even if that means asking a bunch of random women "creepy" things.

I almost feel like you're definding their actions like they have a right to be creepy because of how they feel. Is topples the idea that even if women are not up to chatting sexually with a boy, they should still endure his pathetic advances because he has feelings and should be allowed to express himself?

If a woman looks like she is being sexual/seductive men will respond in turn.

But they dont and that's what makes this a social issue...

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

Can you provide me with evidence that 1/4 of women report being raped?
Im not against what your saying , im just curious

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

About 30+ years ago, I had a co-worker who was in field service and I was engineering manager, we were both married. We used to end up on site together, so we would stay at the same motel/hotel, eat at the same restaurant/bar, etc. At the end of dining, I would hang around for a couple of hours at the bar to get mildly inebriated as well as to be entertained by simply watching what would unfold. I was 6'3" and he about 5'6", I didn't think I had anything to prove, he thought he did and I had heard from other field personnel that his actions were commonplace whenever on site. So, he would go around the bar for a couple of hours and hit on every girl/women in the room, more than once and some of what I overheard made me blush LOL. By sheer persistence he would end up usually taking one back to his room or go to theirs. His antics were classic and memorable.

Isn't that what is basically happening on the internet now, just less physical and considerably safer?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: meowningstar
May I ask what country you are from?

Sure, once you give me a reason as to why its relevant?

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: meowningstar

www.oneinfourusa.org...

I'm in the USA. The numbers of course would vary depending on the country.

Edit: Also there are many studies that range broad amounts of years that have different information gathering tactics.

You can also check out Psychohistory.com which has some of the older data that used more comprehensive interviews(ones where the estimates were up to 40% for lifetime abuse).

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Maybe because different countries have different attitudes towards sexual harassment?

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

About 30+ years ago, I had a co-worker who was in field service and I was engineering manager, we were both married. We used to end up on site together, so we would stay at the same motel/hotel, eat at the same restaurant/bar, etc. At the end of dining, I would hang around for a couple of hours at the bar to get mildly inebriated as well as to be entertained by simply watching what would unfold. I was 6'3" and he about 5'6", I didn't think I had anything to prove, he thought he did and I had heard from other field personnel that his actions were commonplace whenever on site. So, he would go around the bar for a couple of hours and hit on every girl/women in the room, more than once and some of what I overheard made me blush LOL. By sheer persistence he would end up usually taking one back to his room or go to theirs. His antics were classic and memorable.

Isn't that what is basically happening on the internet now, just less physical and considerably safer?

Cheers - Dave

I take it your friend was speaking to sexually active women and not teenage girls? Sexually active women who were clearly at a bar, probably happy with the idea of leaving with a man?

Because these teenage girls dont seem sexually active or interested... and even when that's made clear, the boys still persist...

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Yes very true

a reply to: OrphanApology

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Maybe because different countries have different attitudes towards sexual harassment?

Im in the UK. Similar country to america.

If you look at these screen shots and dont find them degrading and offensive to women then i worry for the human race...

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Ahh good I am based in the uk too..I havent seen the screenshots but can imagine they are degrading
Are you a male or female? Are you straight? Bi? Gay?
I ask these questions because different people of society have different views on this

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Ahh good I am based in the uk too..I havent seen the screenshots but can imagine they are degrading
Are you a male or female? Are you straight? Bi? Gay?
I ask these questions because different people of society have different views on this

Female, 25, gay - Not had to put up with that kind of unwanted talk thank god, shall i inbox you a link to the page?

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Whether online or realworld there is no excuse for such conduct .. like always people think online they can do / say anything they like and that common courtesy and manners dont apply to them ..

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
You can if you like

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join