It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Slender Man Cult. Girl Stabbed By two 12 Year Old

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Two 12-year-olds obsessed with online ghost stories 'lured classmate into woods and stabbed her 19 times' to prove 'Slender Man' myth was real

Two 12-year-old girls who are accused of viciously stabbing a classmate 19 times have been identified for the first time publicly since telling police that they plotted for months to commit murder.
Morgan Geyser and Anissa Weier face attempted murder charges after attacking their friend, saying that they did so because they wanted to join the cult of the 'Slender Man' after reading about him online.
The girls told investigators they believed the Slender Man was real and they wanted to prove it by slaughtering their friend after inviting her for a sleepover in the Milwaukee suburb of Waukesha.

The Slender Man Cult. Girl Stabbed By two 12 Year Old
[snipped]

Video Of The Slender Man.

The Slender Man seems to have really captured kids imagination.

The Slender Man

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others
edit on Tue Jun 3 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: snipped huge untagged quote.....

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Tue Jun 3 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DEV1L79

Here's a prime example of why my kids are heavily moniterd when they use the internet..

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
More control over outside influences needs to be taken as with most child murderers they were obsessed by violent forms of entertainment

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
So these 12 year olds will be incarcerated until they're 25 funded by us taxpayers. Then they'll pull a Jeffrey Dahmer for a few years until someone finds the bodies in the basement. Then they'll be jailed again for 30 years, funded by the taxpayers. And to blame it on the "Slender Man" on said website is totally ridiculous. Where are the parents? When my kids were 12 I never worried that they were influenced to do this. I had taught them right from wrong. These are just "bad seeds". Some kids are just inherently evil. Give them the permanent sleep cocktail now or else we'll be discussing another heinous act by these two in a few decades. Book it. Inherently bad people just can't be rehabilitated.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThirdEyeChakra
More control over outside influences needs to be taken as with most child murderers they were obsessed by violent forms of entertainment

But God forbid we censor the violent based entertainment. God forbid we be proactive when we know some will be susceptible to it. We're America. We have to have have certain freedoms. We have to let people choose and grow from those choices. We have to put every image and text we can imagine out there for public viewing under the title "Freedom of Speech". We have to do this so we can sit back later and say "Oh, what a horror, what should we do about this"? In a free society we always have to play catch-up to the bad things that happen as a result of the freedoms we give ourselves. Why? Because we are a free society. That's what we do.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
No. You dont censor the internet.

You also don't instill background checks before a knife can be bought, or require a waiting period.

And for the love of God, you don't prosecute these children as adults. Read what they are saying....they are in no way able to process information like an adult. They were children having the naivete of children, and like children do they weren't fully understand the ramifications of their actions.

Nothing about this case says anything but that these are children that did something horrible.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DeepImpactX

I don't blame the entertainment. You can't get rid of it, but since they're taking everything else away from us, they might as well. I blame the parents. Alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, etc. aren't particularly good for kids either, but proper parenting that includes instilling good morals can prevent this.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I'll be upset if this means the end of Creepypasta.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

You and I are on the same track with this one. My youngest, similar in age, brought up Slender Man several weeks ago and asked me about it. I told her it was a silly thing, comparing it to Bloody Mary. We had another discussion about the subject last night. The interesting thing was that, although she scoffs at Bloody Mary, she expressed uncertainty about the reality of Slender Man. That really startled me as I've always taught her long, boring lessons in making distinctions between real and bs. She can do a blistering treatise against photoshop in marketing and rolls her eyes at most things. She's a cynical kid but there she was, uncertain about Slender Man. Big reason why was that some of her peers were convinced and some of the footage you linked. I honestly don't think it was solely Creepypasta at work in these girls' actions. I think it was a combination of things on the internet that convinced these girls that Slender Man was real and maybe a large dose of stupidity coupled with a dash of mental illness.

Kids are naive. We know that. I really think that, if a parent cannot appropriately monitor their children's internet usage, then they shouldn't give them access to it. I'm very computer savvy and I ended up just disabling access to the internet entirely for my youngest on her computer as it's almost impossible to keep up with. If she wants to look something up or watch some cat videos, she has to go through me. It works and she actually is a whole lot less cranky than she used to be when she did have internet. I get a little more peace of mind in terms of online bullying, pedophiles and crazy stuff on the net. She gets a better attitude. That's a win-win.

That means no more smart phones for children because they'll just use those at school to access the net, too. They really do. Want your kid to have a cellphone so you can keep tabs on them? Fine--get them a dumbphone. What they do with those smartphones at school would shock you.

That's how we have our freedoms and peace of mind at the same time. It's called actually being parents who think and listen. I'm very lucky in that my youngest talks to me every day about the stuff that goes on in her school. It also worries the crap out of me at the same time because it's sometimes pretty perturbing.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

And to blame it on the "Slender Man" on said website is totally ridiculous. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Do these websites say this creature wants you to kill? The pictures all show him peaceful looking?

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee
a reply to: UnBreakable

And to blame it on the "Slender Man" on said website is totally ridiculous. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Do these websites say this creature wants you to kill? The pictures all show him peaceful looking?

LOL, he does, doesn't he? That made me laugh, Char-Lee, because it's so counter to the meme. The Slender Man of internet lore is not peaceful. This fictional character abducts children and murders people. It's also an ARG (alternate reality game) and is the internet's boogey man of choice.

creepypasta.wikia.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee
Iike WhiteAlice said, The Slender Man seems to be the new Boogey Man, If you ask any kid who it is they will know, and if you write in Slender Man on Youtube it has loads of videos. People seem to be taken to it.

I don't for one minute think the internet should be policed in any way, but I do think that parents should become more internet savvy when it comes to their children. These children making a sacrifice to a made up monster they read about online is just shocking, 3 lives ruined.

edit on 3-6-2014 by DEV1L79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: DEV1L79
a reply to: Char-Lee
Iike WhiteAlice said, The Slender Man seems to be the new Boogey Man, If you ask any kid who it is they will know, and if you write in Slender Man on Youtube it has loads of videos. People seem to be taken to it.

I don't for one minute think the internet should be policed in any way, but I do think that parents should become more internet savvy when it comes to their children. These children making a sacrifice to a made up monster they read about online is just shocking, 3 lives ruined.

Perfectly said.

I'm not a fan of ARGs because I think it basically muddles reality a bit too much. While I think most people can make the distinction between bs and reality most of the time (NOT ALWAYS)--kids? Not so much. I'm guessing that most of us went through a time of our lives where we feared the Boogey Man. The difference is that, when we were growing up, there wasn't a load of internet sites and youtube videos claiming to support the Boogey Man's existence. Our world was completely different from theirs. They have the world at their fingertips, both good and bad, every time they sit down at their computers.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikeone718
I'll be upset if this means the end of Creepypasta.

At least it makes slender man look less #ty in a way.

"Children got their hands on this decent story in 2012 and made it # but then some 12 year old girls tried to murder someone because of it so it's okay now"

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
It's really strange to see a full fledged moral panic unfold on the TV right before your eyes. I was watching CNN lunchtime and the anchor lady was laying it on pretty thick. She seemed to think that creepypasta or just horror stories in general are corrupting our youths wholesale.

This was clearly a case of just two very troubled and very stupid young kids doing something evil for a thrill.

I hope they think it was worth it, as they spend the next 20 years or so behind bars.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
My daughter turns 12 this fall and she's all sorts of into Slenderman. She'll draw pictures of it and what not, and bring it up in topics occasionally.

She and I've had a couple longer talks about it and it's origins, and like another poster said about their daughter, it's surprising to see how uncertain she is of it being real or fictional. Even after explaining how this is one of the few modern "spooky figures" we can actually trace the origins of, and how we know it's fictional.

Guess now I need to make sure she's not planning to kill anyone to join the imaginary cult of slenderman. (I'm not actually worried about this, but due diligence is required now...)

Cult phenomenon with kids is different today than it was for a lot of us, and unfortunately the overabundance of information; real or otherwise, is definitely a factor - but at the same time I wouldn't even remotely advocate censoring or filtering the internet. That's my job at home and as best I can in general, not the governments.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
So these 12 year olds will be incarcerated until they're 25 funded by us taxpayers. Then they'll pull a Jeffrey Dahmer for a few years until someone finds the bodies in the basement. Then they'll be jailed again for 30 years, funded by the taxpayers. And to blame it on the "Slender Man" on said website is totally ridiculous. Where are the parents? When my kids were 12 I never worried that they were influenced to do this. I had taught them right from wrong. These are just "bad seeds". Some kids are just inherently evil. Give them the permanent sleep cocktail now or else we'll be discussing another heinous act by these two in a few decades. Book it. Inherently bad people just can't be rehabilitated.

They won't get the full sentence. Or, even be jailed in general public after 18, that's if they are locked up until then.

These kids aren't 'evil'. They are just a little misguided and not right in the head. They need to be rehabilitated rather than a full out punishment, because, if they really were psychopaths they would just play along to get the early release. One of the kids said they were sorry, the other said she didn't regret it. Both are terrible answers, but think, if these kids were never taught right from wrong, were neglected, and just left alone at the computer for hours and hours on end to almost literally brain wash themselves into thinking this mythical creature was real, the question rises, where were the parents?

This case has a myriad of instances, processes, emotions, etc. to take into account, and simply locking them up and throwing away the key isn't the way to go. Punishment for sure is in order, but not for 65 some off years they were charged with. A good example is child soldiers, or kids who grew up knowing one thing, and that was to kill, is there no hope for them?
These kids just fed off one another's fairy tales, and the internet. The parents, their teachers, family, what ever are part of the bigger picture from what I see.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I have never heard of such a thing, and usually I am on top of these things.

Really? A Slenderman cult? And here I thought the slender man thingy in Minecraft was just a character in game, I didn't realize it was a pop culture reference.

But wait a minute, there are no Juggalos chasing people with hatchets, so this Slenderman cult is with kids who want to join kill people?

And here I thought Juggalos with their hatchet man was a little disturbing, and yet never have I heard of anyone being influenced by Hatchet Man. This is a very odd thing to me.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: UnmitigatedDisaster

How do they even know about it?

I'm sorry, but my 11 year old damn sure will not be on any website, ATS included, discussing Slenderman or similar topics, without direct adult supervision.

I do let my kid read some of the fact based forum threads - after I read them first. Anything else. No.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeepImpactX

originally posted by: ThirdEyeChakra

But God forbid we censor the violent based entertainment. God forbid we be proactive when we know some will be susceptible to it. We're America. We have to have have certain freedoms. We have to let people choose and grow from those choices. We have to put every image and text we can imagine out there for public viewing under the title "Freedom of Speech". We have to do this so we can sit back later and say "Oh, what a horror, what should we do about this"? In a free society we always have to play catch-up to the bad things that happen as a result of the freedoms we give ourselves. Why? Because we are a free society. That's what we do.

Isn't that what parents are supposed to do? Monitor what their children are exposed to? I know mine did.

I abhor violent movies and horror/gore films, but I understand that there is a market for them. I won't let my likes and dislikes interfere with others enjoying their lives.

The bigger issue is personal responsibility, which is not being taught, apparently, either at home or in schools. Nor is critical thinking. Start teaching these these things in a concentrated effort. Sorry, if my opinions don't suit anyone else's world, but that's the way it is. A person makes a choice and commits an act and THEY ARE responsible for the consequences. They need to weigh out consequence before making that choice.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join