It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA blasts Open Carry Texas after San Antonio incidents

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

You don't bring a scary dog to teach someone dogs aren't scary.

That's right!

One teaches a child to _raise_ a dog, particularly how to handle it if it scares someone when it gets bigger. I agree with you. I don't think those protesters were sophisticated enough to grasp such an argument. At least I didn't hear anything near that level of articulation from them.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   
post deleted

my misunderstanding
edit on 3-6-2014 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: maria_stardust
a reply to: andr3w68

It is not the gun that is scary in and of itself. It's the fact that, unless you are a mind reader, you really have no idea of that person's intention.

I have similar feelings about many Texas drivers but I have to live with it. Motor vehicles are a bigger threat than guns.

If Texas does create some open carry (hand gun) laws I would think it would have provisions much like the CHL parts where businesses can prevent carry in their place of business. The tradition in the 19th century of cowboys checking their pistol when they entered the saloon will carry on.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I tend to agree with the NRA in this particular case. Although I support open carry, there's a difference between exercising your rights respectfully as opposed to making a public spectacle of it as these people were. It's not helpful, scares people and makes them less likely to accept your position.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
It sounds like most people, even the NRA, are missing the point the way so many comments seem geared toward handguns.

They open carry rifles because the state prohibits them from open carrying their pistols.

They're saying since you won't let me carry my pistol I'll carry this big obnoxious rifle.

It's a gamble because it can go one of two ways. The first way is the CA way of flat out banning carrying of anything. The second way, the way they hope it will go, is that Texas permits open carry of handguns the same way that 44 states in the nation do. Open Carry Map

There are definitely some yahoos that deserve the scorn like that infamous pic of the two morons with their hands on their rifles in that restaurant.

Have to laugh at the claim of "instinctual" fear of seeing a gun. If it were instinctual it would be universal. Clearly it's not. You're individual paranoia does not qualify as instinctual.
edit on 3-6-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: speeling

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

yup
modern day cowboys...... you know without the cows or untamed wilderness or really any of the things that make a cowboy

so
show of hands
who here grew up on westerns?

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
The problem is twofold.

First, it is about displacement. Showing up to a restaurant with a long gun, why? You need to be packing for breakfast? Considering mass shootings usually start by someone walking into somewhere you don't expect guns, like a movie theater, yeah, OF COURSE people are going to get nervous. It's not a matter of rights, it's a matter of respect for your fellow man. If people walked in with battle axes or a CHAINSAW I would feel nervous too. I'm sure it is legal to carry a chainsaw into a restaurant but it doesn't fit. Here, concealed is much better and respectful. Because if you are just getting breakfast, everyone will wonder why you didn't just leave the gun in the car. But depending on a person's demeanor, I might or might not bat an eye. One of my friends use to walk around with his magnum on display when going out to eat, so I guess that brings us to point number two.

Secondly, allright, every once in awhile one person with a gun in a restaurant, if they don't have body armor on while twitching violently, might not put me off. But ANY type of gang, horde, mass mentality can put people off. Why? Because historically, a mob of people showing up somewhere with guns en mass almost always is a raid or battle. We have hundreds of years of conditioning that when an armed group of people show up where they are not supposed to be, that means lock the doors, arm yourself, get defensive and hope for the best. We have thousands of years conditioning that anytime a group of armed people show up where they are not expected, that means a village is getting burned and people are getting killed. I don't have any responsibility to trust the m##### f##### beside me. I do not trust a good portion of humanity, though I have love for my fellow (wo)man. The only time a large group of armed individuals walk into a place like a restaurant, or a bank, some s### is going down in 99.999% of history, unless they are police or military.

So yeah, it's legal for me to walk into a restaurant wearing a military gas mask and holding a nondescript canister, but wtf?

edit on 3-6-2014 by AudioOne because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-6-2014 by AudioOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: links234

If these people are trying to convince people they are the good guys with guns, they are failing miserably.

What people are increasingly realizing is that gun "enthusiasts" are a very small % and they are bullies.

It has nothing to do with the 2nd amendment. It is about an unlimited interpretation of the 2nd amendment to include their hobbies, whims, fetishes etc.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Sorry, but if I see you walking down my street with a long gun of any kind, I'm not going to try to determine if you are protesting or just a frigging psycho. I'm calling you a "suspicious person with a gun". I'm going to err on the side of caution, regardless of whether you like it or not. I'd do the same thing if the person was walking around with a knife out.

"You" not meaning anyone in particular in this thread....

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
You know what the NRA would do here if they were smart? Use this kind of jackassery as a bargaining chip with the anti-gun crowd. Something along the lines of "we'll support restrictions on open carry, if you give us federal-level CC legalization with interstate reciprocity."

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
We'll see who's the last one laughing the next time you're at Dennys and the Red Coats decide to attack. Who's going to save you and your Grand Slam then??

(Hint: Not Bushobama)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ShadeWolf

Bargaining with a right that "shall not be infringed" is jackassery.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Three days ago I watched a mother jones video on utube (700,000 views, "gun activist harass marine veteran") and had been reading the comments. The gun grabbers were ranting, and marines were showing up saying "he's not a marine" but no one was leaking any agenda except the grabbers. The word bully keept coming up which I think is being taught in the schools right now and is a current talking point. (since then the video has been removed, and the comments lost)

As to international image, one person posted "I'm not too familiar with gun laws in the USA, but you can just walk around with riffles like that?"

Not, "how can I learn more about this bullying problem so I can join the fight" not at all. No one is saying that, but "you can walk around with a gun in America!?"

LOL

Mike Grouchy

edit on 3-6-2014 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The NRA knows nut bags wandering into coffee shops displaying a weapon does more damage to the gun lobby than any mass shooting. I say it all the time certain gun owners make the rest of look bad.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

Same thing happened in Georgia too, a nut job in a park with no reason for being there other than showing off his gun but, of course, gun rights enthusiasts defended him.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: maria_stardust

In other words, if these demonstrators go around making the average person feel uneasy, then they are doing their cause a great disservice. It is virtually impossible to distinguish a gun enthusiast from a lunatic. I'll be honest, if I see someone decked out in camo gear and brandishing a weapon on their hip, I'm getting my children to safety and calling the police.

BS. The NRA is going to get tons of backlash for this from their own members. This statement was made by one guy and I'm sure these are only his personal views. Tons of NRA members support Open Carry.

btw - " Brandishing" is the act of pulling the gun out of the holster and waving it around. This is illegal for open carry folks and they know it, so they keep it holstered until needed ( unless your in a safe place you can show off the gun to your friends, that's legal)

If I see a guy with a gun on his hip, I'd be more inclined to think this guy is a law abiding citizen I don't have to worry about - statistics show criminals carry concealed guns. A crook wont tip his hand by wearing the gun in the open.

I open carry a sport king 22 long semi auto with 6 inch barrel and never have any problems with cops or civilians. I agree though there is no reason to open carry a rifle or anything resembling an assault rifle.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
This isn't Somalia. You don't need a gang of men armed with semi-automatic long guns to protect yourself while eating at a suburban Chili's.

If i were there I would be concerned about the potential danger of half-cocked bozos like that accidentally discharging their weapons and would get out of there pronto, especially if I had my family with me.

Furthermore, anyone else carrying in that restaurant would be foolish not to be immediately on alert when seeing someone coming in with a long gun. Not to mention the potential for confrontation with unhappy management and customers as described in the article.

Bad scene all around.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

www.georgiacarry.com... was that this case or a different one as if its this one this man may end up getting some cash off of his arrest for open carry

www.georgiacarry.com... ah not much but still 5 grand is 5 grand and they gave him his gun back too

www.gwinnettdailypost.com... or was it this case his law suit is on going but he is suing a privet security guard and the cops

www.georgiacarry.org... sure one of those cases listed could be the person you were talking about as it seems to conver most gun related pending and finished lawsuits in Georgia

www.nraila.org...

6. Notwithstanding Code Sections 12-3-10, 27-3-1.1, 27-3-6, and 16-12-122 through 16-12-127, any person with a valid weapons carry license may carry a weapon in all parks, historic sites, or recreational areas, as such term is defined in Code Section 12-3-10, including all publicly owned buildings located in such parks, historic sites, and recreational areas, in wildlife management areas, and on public transportation; provided, however, that a person shall not carry a handgun into a place where it is prohibited by federal law.

seems its quite legal to carry a gun in a park(play ground or otherwise present) so why is it ok to arrest some one for not breaking the law?

www.cnn.com... hell acording to this you can cary a gun in an airport in georgia as long as you do not pass securty check point

Ellijay, Georgia (CNN) -- Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal signed a wide-ranging gun bill into law Wednesday that has critics howling and proponents applauding. House Bill 60, or the Safe Carry Protection Act of 2014 -- which opponents have nicknamed the "guns everywhere bill" -- specifies where Georgia residents can carry weapons. Included are provisions that allow residents who have concealed carry permits to take guns into some bars, churches, school zones, government buildings and certain parts of airports. GeorgiaCarry, which lobbied for the bill, calls it "meaningful pro-gun legislation," despite it being watered down from the group's perspective. Still, the group has lauded the legislation, which will go into effect July 1. Americans for Responsible Solutions opposed the bill, calling it "extremism in action." Wednesday's signing came at an open-air picnic area along a creek in Ellijay, in northern Georgia. It opened with a prayer, the singing of the national anthem and a recital of the Pledge of Allegiance. Hundreds of people filled more than 25 picnic tables, while others stood. Many were openly carrying handguns, and some wore National Rifle Association hats and buttons proclaiming, "Stop Gun Control" and "Guns Save Lives.The bill, which easily navigated the state Legislature -- by a 112-58 vote in the House and a 37-18 tally in the Senate -- also earned the support of Democratic state Sen. Jason Carter, the grandson of ex-President Jimmy Carter and a 2014 gubernatorial candidate."

www.thetruthaboutguns.com... more related to the ops post and not the georgia case

Open carry of long guns has become a popular way to express dissatisfaction with the Texas legislature for not passing an open carry law last year. The law passed the House, but then stalled out. Texas is only one of five states that ban the open carry of holstered handguns in most public places.
so seems if they dont want people OC rifles they could always make open carry of handguns easier .and seems to be the point of all of their protests

samuel-warde.com... just to be diplomatic ill provide the other sides view,but of note i belive this man won his lawsuit so by all means keep calling the cops because you see some one with a gun and they will keep suing your city and raising your taxes to pay for the mistake (check out actual video vs what was written in the article)

www.captainsjournal.com...

www.cnn.com...

edit on 3-6-2014 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

I am a multiple gun owner hold a CCW, but those guys were idiots. I said it when it happened and I just said it again.

Here is the self pick they took at the restaurant.(check out the people in the background)

And who wears shades indoors?

edit on 3-6-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

You can spam all of the examples you want.

Doesn't change the fact that, just because you *can* do something, doesn't mean you should...

I think the NRA gets that but, apparently, you and many of its other members don't.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join