It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The COCA LEAF Thread

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: LightAssassin
That's right, thank you. I don't understand how the coca can be connected to the Roman empire. It was unknown for them.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightAssassin
a reply to: Trueman

Cocaine can be in a salt form or free-base.....simple Chemistry 101 stuff.

Salts
Cocaine is a weakly alkaline compound (an "alkaloid"), and can therefore combine with acidic compounds to form various salts. The hydrochloride (HCl) salt of coc aine is by far the most commonly encountered, although the sulfate (-SO4) and the nitrate (-NO3) are occasionally seen. Different salts dissolve to a greater or lesser extent in various solvents – the hydrochloride salt is polar in character and is quite soluble in water.

Salts of Cocaine

Cocaine Hydochloride is one of the most commonly found forms of the salt, on the drug market. It would make sense then why this 'salt' that the Romans were using to pay debts had value of any sort.

While it is extremely true that coc aine hydrochloride is the most widely used version, I find it difficult to believe that the Romans were using it 2000 years prior to it being synthesized. The transportation issue alone would be extraordinarily cost prohibitive and then there's the pesky bit about no known trade routes between the Mediterranean and S. America to throw an extra wrench in the hypothesis.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rabb420
a reply to: eManym

Yeah I was wondering if you could link your sources of these marijuana lab "explosions" since a couple states legalized it..

Here is a source that cites 31 explosions caused by Cannabis oil labs in Colorado.

Colorado's pot boom leads to rash of cannabis oil explosions

And another of the many other news sources.

Explosions in Colorado linked to legalized marijuana

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
a reply to: LightAssassin
That's right, thank you. I don't understand how the coca can be connected to the Roman empire. It was unknown for them.

Traces of coca and nicotine found in some Egyptian mummies have led some[who?] to speculate that Ancient Egyptians may have traveled to the New World. The initial discovery was made by a German toxicologist, Svetlana Balabanova, after examining the mummy of a female priestess called Henut Taui. Follow-up tests of the hair shaft, performed to rule out contamination, gave the same results.[24] The significance of these findings lies in the fact that both coca and tobacco plants are indigenous to the Americas and were thought not to have existed in Africa until sometime after the voyages of Columbus.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Just looking at being paid in sea salt would not go over well with a hard working man. When you take in all the factors of their lifestyle and the impact that salt had on that empire then them somehow gotton their paws on some of these plants somewhere along the way is more plausible than our current understanding of ancient travel. In other words if travel is the only thing holding back the romans from that plant at that time then perhaps we know only a small portion of our history and the power of plants and what we do know has been moulded to fit into our knowledge box that is quite a bit smaller than the truth and skewed by our current level of thinking.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: eManym

originally posted by: Rabb420

Yeah I was wondering if you could link your sources of these marijuana lab "explosions" since a couple states legalized it..

Here is a source that cites 31 explosions caused by Cannabis oil labs in Colorado.

Colorado's pot boom leads to rash of cannabis oil explosions

And another of the many other news sources.

Explosions in Colorado linked to legalized marijuana
America is treading dangerous waters now. All this time we have all thought that these things were made illegal because of health but we will soon learn that other reasons for illegalization far outweigh the stated reasons. We are like a kid with a shiny new toy as we slowly open doors to different realities. It leaves me to wonder if curiosity will kill the cat again?

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I've been researching yesterday about it, the process is different in the case of the coca. I don't think is possible to have the same problem.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: clay2 baraka

I knew about it, it's intriguing and I wish I could explain that.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

This has already been mentioned to be off topic.

But if you don't understand how in the first place *cannabis* explosions could occure.

It would be important to note, That The plant needs a solvant or needs to be made via-water to get a chalky substance.
To get an oil base you need to use a compound that can break it down in this case BHO- Butane- en.wikipedia.org... Hexane... Flamable gas that leaves residues after it evaporates.

Butane (/ˈbjuːteɪn/) is an organic compound with the formula C4H10 that is an alkane with four carbon atoms. Butane is a gas at room temperature and atmospheric pressure. The term may refer to either of two structural isomers, n-butane or isobutane (or "methylpropane"), or to a mixture of these isomers. In the IUPAC nomenclature, however, "butane" refers only to the n-butane isomer (which is the isomer with the unbranched structure). Butanes are highly flammable, colorless, easily liquefied gases. The name butane comes from the roots but- (from butyric acid) and -ane.

or isopropyl Alchohol

en.wikipedia.org...

Isopropyl alcohol is a chemical compound with the molecular formula C3H8O or C3H7OH. It is a colorless, flammable chemical compound with a strong odor. It is the simplest example of a secondary alcohol, where the alcohol carbon atom is attached to two other carbon atoms sometimes shown as (CH3)2CHOH. It is a structural isomer of propanol. Isopropyl alcohol is denatured for certain uses.

I just wanted to add that all this is really off topic, But Just so you don't reply again or believe that this just happens * Just Cause*
I'm only relating this because its exactly like the demonizing of the coka plant....

The coka plant does no harm, It is only harmful when you douse it in Chemicals to make it something else.
In this case, Cannabis is no different. It's perfectly wonderful until we do something unatural to it such as burning it.
But humans have been smoking from pipes since time untold. Each culture holding their own myths about such actions being passed down by gods.

But the plant is still being used as the plant, and over time humanity has developed the adaptation to smoking plants, For sauna rituals such as the natives of america who throw herbs on hot coals in the sweat lodge.
But they didn't add any chemicals to the herbs they use. The herbs are for cleansing, sometimes they do it for divination.

When these people underestimate the power of flamable gas to extract * Oil* They are underestimating the very power of the plants on its own. By making it unnatural, We stip the essecial cannabinoids for health properties ( once heated) Just like the Coka, who is underestimated and is made unnatural. By any form of salt or powder it takes...

It is no different than pharmasuticle drugs to be honest. There are plenty of Parmasuticles out there that use bacterial derivitives of plants to produce the chemicals in labs... It's sort of like genetic engineering but its for pure medical stimulus using the byproducts of what is created. When you synthisize you leave other trace elements that may react harmfully, expecially with only fractions of the substances being made legally and the rest in someones basement. It's safe to say that synthisizing with flamable compounds is dangerous no mater what material/substance we are talking about here.

My point is these people were not carful enough or just plain unlucky. But just like working on an oil rig, you know the hazards and you are willing doing it. Day after day. it only takes that one day where a mistake or something goes wrong and you'll be pushing flowers before you realized you messed up.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

haha...all good points....and thankfully it wasn't my suggestion.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Just want to say great thread and great job mods for keeping it real.

The video at the beginning of the news casters who don't know the difference from coca, coco and there ass was painful to watch lol I didn't even finish the video I couldn't take it. But I just want to say thank you for sharing this information with us I learned a lot about this wonderful plant and I hope someday people will smarten up and use natures gifts as intended.

Now where is the Hemp thread...?

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Agent008

Thanks. Regarding a hemp thread, not sure if I want to go there for now, but I promise you to come back with a similar topic very soon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join