It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bowe Bergdahl, the only American soldier held prisoner in Afghanistan, has been freed

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: UnBreakable
a reply to: ThinkYouSpeak

So we trade five GITMO Taliban criminals for one Taliban US POW who sought out the Taliban willingly after deserting his company? No wonder Obama illegally did this swap without going through congress. Another year and a half of this criminal in the WH. That should be more than enough time for him to completely sellout the rest of this great country.

How can they be criminals when they were not charged and tried for there "crimes"

O thats right! Silly me! Its guilty till proven innocent and trials are luxourys in the "land of the free"

I forget that due process and universal rights to a fair trial are un american and against freedom silly me!

I better take my dirty commie typical tyranical british values and scram.

I may be wrong but the whole innocent till proven guilty is to protect its citizens and not terrorists.

But without a trial and presentation of evidence whats to say they really are terrorists.

Sucks if one day you get labled a terrorist then?

Sorry but due process must apply to ALL

You go down the route of makeing exceptions then you open yourself up to abuse and tyranny.

Plus you cant preach to the world about freedom and the evils of tyranny when your inficting it on others.

Sorry there no excuse or readon to deny one a trial, what has the advereage american got to lose? If they are terrorist then they will be found guilty and serve life without parole, sounds fair to me right?

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB
a reply to: crazyewok

I wonder why this thread wasn't closed since there was already a thread going hours prior on the same topic.

Anyhoo... the taliban are not citizens... they don't have the same rights only the rights afforded under the geneva convention which they got.

However, 2 of them are STILL wanted by the UN to be tried for war crimes under international law... and the US entirely bypassed any respect of the UN or international law by setting them free instead of handing them over to be tried.

go figure...

Even worse then.

They should hsve stood trial for warcrimes.

Sorry the whole there not US citizens doesnt wash.

As stated above you start makeing exceptions you start down a slippery slope.

Plus how can the US preach freedom when it denys people basic rights?

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Leonidas

originally posted by: BobAthome

so who gets too "de-brief" Sgt Bergdahl ,,,first??

or are there orders from command heights,,too let him pass,?

He is in Germany. His parents are not allowed to talk to him.

If you have a chance to see a synopsis of the Press-Conference with his parents this afternoon, check it out. It is surreal and bizarre.

The father is a Taliban sympathizer according to past Tweets, which of course have been deleted. He's also retweeted Taliban. But here's a screen grab:

twitter.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Something smells fishy. Obama looks like an ass because of the VA scandal and ANOTHER broken promise to America when he and his followers need a little stunt to "prove" to America that he still cares and is a good leader.

"Let's free this soldier by trading 5 Taliban leaders!"

It's funny how it happened a week or two after the whole VA scandal blew up and Congress was never notified of the prison release. Congress is supposed to be told about any prison transfers 30 days before it happens. Obviously it was a quick decision made by the administration.

Now everyone will forget about the VA scandal and be happy for this soldier!

I have heard about the rumors of his deserting his post and I can't say anything until more info is out about it (could just be mudslinging by the other side). If it is true, they will sweep it under the rug as quick as they can to keep it from looking like a total screw up.

At this point I am happy for this soldier and his family! His father obviously put a lot of effort into helping his son.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

No, the geneva convention applies to them, not the rights of the citizenry.

If you want to make Fazl a citizen in your country... be my guest. But don't expect me to let him in mine. What I will do is allow him the rights afforded him under the geneva convention.

To be quite honest, if I ever saw the man face to face I'd put a bullet between his eyes. You gotta give our soldiers credit for tons of restraint in that area!
edit on 1-6-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB

No, the geneva convention applies to them, not the rights of the citizenry.

If you want to make Fazl a citizen in your country... be my guest. But don't expect me to let him in mine. What I will do is allow him the rights afforded him under the geneva convention.

To be quite honest, if I ever saw the man face to face I'd put a bullet between his eyes. You gotta give our soldiers credit for tons of restraint in that area!

LastI checked you dont have to be a citizen to stand trial in the US or Uk.

Foreign nationals can be tried and imprisoned.

If thete 5 suspected terrorists were tried as foreign nations then they would be imprisoned then deported upon release or likley be serving life without parole.

Us citizens or not you start makeing exceptions to rights you start down a slippery slope.
Even now obama has just renewed powers to indeffinatly detain US citizens suspectef of terrorism......as i said slippery slope.

Better ALL are affored the same rights than risk oneday loseing your own.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

"Foreign nationals can be tried and imprisoned. " yes but that was countered with "they" are too dangerous too be on American., homeland.
Because the homeland is too insecure,,

so they have homeland security,,but there still not on American soil, so ya its confusing.

its Government. lol

edit on 6/1/2014 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: BobAthome

"Foreign nationals can be tried and imprisoned. " yes but that was countered with "they" are too dangerous too be on American., homeland.
Because the homeland is too insecure,,

so they have homeland security,,but there still not on American soil, so ya its confusing.

its Government. lol

Its odd right?

I would think that being found guilty by a trial by jury and imprisoned in a super max fedreal prison for life would be better than in some shady prison in a legal grey area under constant critasism were prisoners are held without any definate sentance and can be released on a whim as in this case?

Least if given a trial and found guilty thats it, the sentance is set and as its all above board cant be contested.

Hell even more secure if found guilty and given lethal injection.
edit on 1-6-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
"Sergeant Bergdahl’s recovery is a reminder of America’s unwavering commitment to leave no man or woman in uniform behind on the battlefield!,

Well you left him behind for 5 years. what was the hold up if it was just about doing a swap.?

Because now the liberty of every American across the globe has a value placed on it. Capture an American and we will free 5 of your terrorists. Not a bad deal, just be sure not to get too drunk and catch the wrong cab ride and pray to God the President (Obama or the next) doesn't change his stance on negotiating with terrorists while your locked in an old wine cellar just outside of Paris.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: GenerationGap

any cheese??

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   
This marks a change in US foreign policy, no question. No president in US history would have agreed to this and I find it more than a little interesting that of all leaders it just happens to be Obama to pull such a stunt.

"You have our soldier and the Americans want him released, so here, tell you what, I'm going to release some of my friends and we can all be happy"

Obama is destroying America and this story freaks me out. I stand firm when I say that I believe our president wanted these men released because he knows they are loyal to the Taliban and loyal to destroying our country.

Just wait.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: NewWorldDisorder

Yep. Again there's more to the story than we know. Watching the MSM the past couple of days and the reasons behind his capture and his resulting POW status for the past five years is secondary and being glossed over. Why he originally left his post without a weapon, his company running across Afghani children who say they saw a soldier matching his description asking for the nearest Taliban, why he didn't speak English after being exchanged (I'm sorry, but nobody forgets their native language, even after five years) is curious and needs an explaination we will probably never get a straight answer to.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
A deserter is just that ...a deserter...he should stay with the Taliban.
Obama freeing 5 AQ personnel is opening the door for other acts by AQ...

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
This stinks. Everything about it.

Fellow soldiers he was deployed with are calling him a traitor and a deserter, and I agree with them. He left in the middle of the night on his own accord.

Now five of the taliban's "top brass" are free, and for what? A deserter, traitor, and sympathizer? Makes zero sense.

What put me over the top was his father stating that he's doing his best to free more afghan prisoners.

My two cents: both the traitor and his father are Muslim/Afghan sympathizers, and concocted this plan to free taliban prisoners.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: NewWorldDisorder

You should read up on the Carter and Reagan administrations if you think this kind of negotiation is unprecedented.

To the general thread:

The five released are apparently banned from leaving Qatar for at least the next year.

www.bbc.com...

The earliest they would obtain freedom to move around unrestricted would be six months before all American troops have withdrawn.

Consider also the international relationship the Taliban has with other nations. Russia and the Taliban have, at best, a mixed relationship. Releasing five key members of the organization in the wake of the geopolitical insanity that is the Ukraine crisis is certainly an interesting move...
edit on 2-6-2014 by Jalbrook because: Expanded analysis

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if the detainees released were micro chipped in some way. Why not we implant them into dogs? I bet the CIA has more expensive toys then a veterinarian.

Anyways why trade 5 guys for 1? I thought it was American policy to not negotiate with terrorists. What about all the people prior to this that our country wouldn't negotiate for?

From what I've seen the guy walk off his post. Letters to his family make it sound like he's a deserter.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: daveinats
A deserter is just that ...a deserter...he should stay with the Taliban.
Obama freeing 5 AQ personnel is opening the door for other acts by AQ...

Actually if a deseter he should be brought home court marshalled and then shot.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I'm so freaking mad about this story, I don't know where to begin.

Perhaps I could approach this as a distraction from the VA mess. Maybe this shows Obama's true colors by releasing someone who is now showing a potential conversion to Islam. Even his father praised allah.

Why couldn't Obama do the same to free the Christian minister held captive in Iran. Or the woman who is now sentenced to death for being a Christian.

So now, if you're a muslim, the US will pull out all the stops, bypass congress, and make up its own rules??? Or should I say Obama will do whatever he wants. Remember, he said "I have a phone, and I have a pen." Looks like he's using them!

Why hasn't the president been brought up for impeachment? How many freaking laws does he need to blatantly break before SOMEONE, ANYONE in CONGRESS has the BALLS to stand up to this piece of crap!
edit on 3-6-2014 by Freenrgy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Already calls for impeachment.
Former Congressman Allan West,

The case for impeachment of Barack Hussein Obama

Written by Allen West on June 3, 2014

Read more at allenbwest.com...

Ladies and gentlemen, I submit that Barack Hussein Obama’s unilateral negotiations with terrorists and the ensuing release of their key leadership without consult — mandated by law — with the U.S. Congress represents high crimes and misdemeanors, an impeachable offense
Read more at allenbwest.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Freenrgy2

I don't think it's "If you are Muslim" .... It's "If you hate America"

It's not religion that is the key here, but the sentiment about America and our constitutional ideals. The Taliban are not Muslim, but those 5 who just got released, just got released and will start killing more Muslims, like they were doing before we locked them up...

This isn't about any religion, this is about those who would stand up for the constitution and our American Ideals, and who shows an abject hatred for them.

Obama betrayed all of us, Muslim and Christian alike when he did this... he betrayed all of us.
edit on 3-6-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join