It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Of Flies and Demons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I, as most people, can not stand flies.
I bring it up because of an experience I had this afternoon. I have been working on paintings all day. It is getting hot in Texas. Cold beer is tasting good.
Every time I sat my beer down and resumed working it would be swarmed by flies. If I picked up a swatter, they would disappear. They only swarmed on my drink when I was focusing on my painting.
I got a spray bottle of insecticide and just sat my drink down and waited. Nothing.
Go back to work, and they're back. It seemed like they were intentionally ruining my focus.
I don't give flies much credit for being intelligent. But it seemed they were intentionally f#cking with me.
So I do an experiment. I filled three cups with beer and sat them on my work bench. They were not interested in the other cups. When I sat down the one I was drinking, they were all over it the minute I looked away.
I know it sounds a little nutty, but I really had the feeling that some malicious spirit with control of flies, was going all out to keep me distracted and irritated.
I started drinking from a sippy-cup and one flew down the straw. I switched to water and one tried to fly up my nostril.
Once I was finished with what I needed to get done there was not a fly to be found. Now I'm drinking a beer and not being harassed at all.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I was watching a fly on a leaf. He was watching me watch him. I was listening to music. I thought, "when this part of the song comes up, i want the fly to fly off the leaf". And he did. Therefore, I control flies with my mind.

I don't give flies much credit for being intelligent.

I am equal with the fly. I am not better than the fly. You are not better than me.
edit on 31-5-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb

If you could use your superpower to tell your little friends to leave me alone while I'm working, it would be much appreciated.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
a reply to: smithjustinb

If you could use your superpower to tell your little friends to leave me alone while I'm working, it would be much appreciated.

They aren't communicating with me, they are communicating with you.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
You can't expect to get cooperation from a fly as long as you

don't give flies much credit for being intelligent.

In setting your mind above their's, you set it apart. You can't communicate with a fly like that.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Hmmm...

Just pondering here...

If you punch a fly in the face, how many black eyes would it get?

*scratches head*

Oh crickey... I need coffee as haven't had my morning dose yet as now thinking the following : If you break a centipedes leg... would it limp?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Ps. For those who don't know me... that was an attempt at humour by the way.
edit on 31/5/14 by Rodinus because: Centipede

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Ingerdients:
1 fly
30cm of cotton thread
Glue

Method:
Carefully glue one end of the thread to the fly, while holding the other end. Once the glue dries, release the fly but continue to hold the other end of the thread. You can now take your fly for a walk

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: RifRAAF
Ingerdients:
1 fly
30cm of cotton thread
Glue

Method:
Carefully glue one end of the thread to the fly, while holding the other end. Once the glue dries, release the fly but continue to hold the other end of the thread. You can now take your fly for a walk

Oh crikey that reminds me of an old joke...

Q : what do you call a fly with no wings

A : A walk...

Ok, time for my coffee...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   

The flies are attracted by your spit on the cup, bottle, can - you can be happy that if they drink the beer they die.

PS - I've noticed if you just have a fly swatter handy , they don't seem to bother you. I wish I could say the same thing about mosquitoes- I hate them so much.

The only thing worse than spraying yourself with mosiquito spray - is mosquitoes - especially around your ankles when you're working outside.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I couldn't help but think of this scene. They weren't this bad, they just seemed to be pestering me in a manner that seemed intelligently directed. Are my paintings pissing off some sort of evil spirit?

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Interesting, I swear sometimes they are intent on pestering.

Your experiment can only prove anything if you took a sip from each glass. I think the flies are attracted to human saliva or your scent. That's what it was I do think.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

I will try a similar experiment tomorrow. I will put my saliva on the rims of multiple glasses with beer in them and see if they are equally invaded. Just for the record, I don't have sh!t breath.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: violet
Interesting, I swear sometimes they are intent on pestering.

Your experiment can only prove anything if you took a sip from each glass. I think the flies are attracted to human saliva or your scent. That's what it was I do think.

They are attracted by sugar. I used to live out in the country, and they were massive - the size of executive jets, well at least they sound that loud when they flew into my room when I was asleep. Woken up by one circling to land and had it's compound eyes on a sugar cube that I had dropped on the floor.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   

I kind of know what you mean. We get them here in summer, and they seem to know when to annoy, and when not to. I can have one dive bombing my head repeatedly, and the moment I pick up a swatter, it's GONE. Waving hands, mind you, doesn't make it stop. The swatter is the deterrent, as though the fly knows what it is. I can sit with one in my hand, lowered, and no fly. Drop it, and there's the fly again! They are supposed to be unintelligent bugs, but some days, you have to wonder!

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I'm going to make an Indian head dress made of fly swatters. This is war.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

We are extremely caught up in our own individualized relativistic observations. We don’t take the time to appreciate other perspectives. If you want to see where I’m going with this, try to imagine what life would be like as a fly. Call this an exercise in compassion. Some of you may not be ready and mature enough for this level of compassion, which is fine.

When I said, “Try to imagine what life would be like as a fly, I know some of you were thinking things like “Why would I want to do that?”, and “That’s dumb.” and “Fly’s eat poop.”, and those are the people who aren’t going to get this, for the simple fact that they are too judgmental to have compassion. Yeah flies eat poop, and from their relative perspective, it tastes pretty good. I know you don’t care about what it’s like to be a fly, but the fly cares about being a fly relatively just as much as you care about being a human and the one observer cares about each of you equally.

Compassion is like looking at a smaller animal and knowing you are more powerful than it is and you could probably kill it easily for food, but instead, you look past that and also see how powerful it is on its own relative terms. You see that its just as powerful as you are relatively to itself. Then you imagine what it is like to walk around as this creature with its own relative power and glory. Then you kinda start to ACTUALLY feel what it is like to be that creature. I can't put the experience's value in words. For one thing, there is a greater understanding of God. But what is understood can only be understood by doing compassion yourself. The value is in the understanding.

Or you could just hang a glue stip out. Or invest in a bug zapper. idc.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I've noticed insect intelligence numerous times... flies do seem to be aware on some level and will bother you when you are distracted and when you are ready to end them, they flee. Same for other bugs that have evolved bothering humans.

Gnats too, when I'm at my 'puter, working with my windows open, they'll hover around mouth and eyes, looking for a drink, and when I stop moving my fingers, watching and waiting to smash them, they're gone.

Not very scientific of me, but the impression I get is that they are more aware than most give them credit for... and in fact, I feel terrible when I kill them... but it's them or me in my old house in the tropics... and I choose me.

Also, there is a black and red ant type that is always alone and act incredibly intelligent. They "hide" under stuff and only come out to cross the wall or floor when I seem to be looking elsewhere (really, using peripheral vision "fools" them and they dash out) . Most ants seem less aware of their surroundings and just march along following their chemical signals... not so this type... they are far more autonomous.

I should get out more...

And not that mischievous spirits can't be directing the insects to bother you... I've had some weird paranormal insect related things happen on the rare occasion... just that this case is likely just bugs that pay attention (or love your spit).

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
6 hours into the experiment. I have seen one fly. It went for the control group. I am about to start painting again. Let's see what happens.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
It would seem, if there was a malicious force involved, letting it know that I was onto it's game caused it to leave. Not a single fly has disturbed my work. It could also be that the dead pig up the road was more enticing and they are redoubling their forces.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Beelzebub, Lord of the Flies.

Probably not him, though, because they swarm in by the hundreds when he's around, & they don't usually notice the fly swatter.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join