It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Look How Much Nicer The Interior Of Elon Musk's Space Capsule Is Compared To The Soyuz

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TritonTaranis

And for 4 years you were basicaly russia bitch when it came to civilan space.

Sorry it dont wash, the monkeys in suites that direct nasa should have had a new craft ready too roll out as soon as the shuttle was retired.

In fact NASA should have had a cheap, simple crew transport craft running in tangent to the shuttle.

Thankfully NASA has caught up nearly but id be asking queations still.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: NonsensicalUserName
eh; soyuz has been in operation since the late 1960's;
if its one thing that the russian space-program is good at its not fixing what isn't broke. (hence after soyuz 1 and soyuz 11 there were some changes made, but overall the capsule remained relatively the same.)

The US went through Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, The Space Shuttle,

while USSR/Russia went through

Vostok, Voskhod, and Soyuz.

SpaceX and really the whole commercial crew effort is so successful mostly because its not using traditional means of contracting.

To me one of the biggest mistakes was NASA canning gemini.

Gemini could have been a great eart to orbit taxi like the soyuz that could have been kept running with refits like the soyuz too this day while apollo and the shuttle did the more complex tasks.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

And for 4 years you were basicaly russia bitch when it came to civilan space.

Sorry it dont wash, the monkeys in suites that direct nasa should have had a new craft ready too roll out as soon as the shuttle was retired.

In fact NASA should have had a cheap, simple crew transport craft running in tangent to the shuttle.

Thankfully NASA has caught up nearly but id be asking queations still.

I'm not American so I couldn't care a less about bitch etc.. Tbh if I was.. I still wouldn't find saving many billions in running costs that much of a heartbreak either

Its actually good IMO that the NASA chose to shut down the shuttle program and throw time and effort into better more efficient engines and designs and other program's rather than flogging the dead horse still as Russia does.. After all it's not like they could ask the Russians for a ride

Rocket lunches are ridiculously expensive especially continuously..

NASA absolutely did the right thing it's was dead money saved

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I see you always pushing the Gemini capsule for a taxi comments.(ETA. maybe pushing is the wrong word, but it is what I came up with)

I am not trying to be rude, but I would like to know,

What kind of taxi would it be with only 2 astronauts aboard.

That would take seven trips up to put seven astronauts in orbit because after all there had to be a pilot.

It only had 2.55 cu meters of space.

I have stood next to the Gemini space capsule at the St louis Science Center. Do you have any idea how small it actually is?

Gemini served it's purpose. It was time to move on.

edit on 30-5-2014 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I think x-15 or x-20 was probably more promising;

the error made with the Space-Shuttle was thinking it was STS, and not just a part of STS. Had they designed it so that shuttle infrastructure could be used for other things, (like other launch vehicles) they would have likely met a goal of cheaper spaceflights.

Most of the costs of launching a rocket come from the launch itself, its like having a big international airport that has 1-2 flights a week. With a tower full of ground controllers, and a garage full of technicians/mechanics. terribly expensive...

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Look How Much Nicer The Interior Of Elon Musk's Space Capsule Is Compared To The Soyuz - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is Boeings idea for a capsule...

More pics at the link...

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: liejunkie01

I see you always pushing the Gemini capsule for a taxi comments.(ETA. maybe pushing is the wrong word, but it is what I came up with)

I am not trying to be rude, but I would like to know,

What kind of taxi would it be with only 2 astronauts aboard.

That would take seven trips up to put seven astronauts in orbit because after all there had to be a pilot.

It only had 2.55 cu meters of space.

I have stood next to the Gemini space capsule at the St louis Science Center. Do you have any idea how small it actually is?

Gemini served it's purpose. It was time to move on.

Im on my phone so cant post link but there was a gemini upgrade in the works befote it got canned that would have expanded its crew carrying capabilitys.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

Look How Much Nicer The Interior Of Elon Musk's Space Capsule Is Compared To The Soyuz - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is Boeings idea for a capsule...

More pics at the link...

www.businessinsider.com...

Even more impressive

As the article states Boeing does have a lot of experience in aircraft cabin design and this is indeed very swanky... It's not looking so tin can military cold war era...

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Well, that's a nice mock-up and all, but let's wait for it to actually start flying....

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: LS650
Well, that's a nice mock-up and all, but let's wait for it to actually start flying....

Exactly.

Looks are not eveything.

We will see when they start flying.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Nice to see elements of Star Trek coming into reality.

now if we can get the warp drive up and running.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
This thing looks like a ride at Universal Studios ...

I would not trust it..it still needs to PROVE that it's safe.

Soyuz is working reliable since the 60s - and we don't have anything but "pretty pictures" from the new capsule/space craft. Have this thing being used many,many times...then we can talk about what's safer and more reliable.
edit on 5/31/2014 by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I'm a huge space travel and exploration and SpaceX fan (without getting into the whole privatization thing, which is a huge topic in an of itself and far more complex than just making things prettier and making money). That being said, to be honest, I expected more all these decades later.

I'd far rather see the strides humanity made in Star Trek, like the prime directive, than see the tech come into being. We can't even get along with each other on our own planet, nevermind in the universe

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoRulesAllowed

Soyuz is working reliable since the 60s - .

To be fair the mid 70's the first generation soyuz were pretty unsafe!

Maybe that will be the case of these new designs. First decade may see some astronauts turned to crispy critter before the kinks are ironed out and it replaces the soyzu as the the go to capsule for earth to orbit.

Though with US risk adverse culture one accident and likely the project will be scraped and you will be using Russia again for the next few decades while you build up the nerve to try another design.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
That's ok I suppose but not when compared to the Boeing CST-100 interior!!!

Boeing reveals future CST-100 commercial spacecraft Interior

edit on 31-5-2014 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

CST-100 needs a parachute to land though so Id go with SpaceX

edit on 31-5-2014 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

We can't even get along with each other on our own planet, nevermind in the universe

Well according to Ronald Reagan all that would change if we had an outside threat to Earth.

“Perhaps we need some outside universal threat to make us recognize this common bond. I occasionally think how quickly our differences worldwide would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside this world.”

www.msnbc.com...

The sad fact is he was probably right with his comments, and that truly is a sad way for the human race to live.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Oh, yes, of course. I actually said that long before he did. However, I said it with a sigh and came at it more from the perspective that perhaps we are actually not ready to socialize with the off-planet others. So many of us looking at them as a "threat" and our own warlike response is a prime example of this, isn't it? That plus we'd probably still find a way to fight amongst ourselves over the "aliens" or their technology.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Unfair comparison.

Different roles.
Different eras.
Different technology available.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: BMorris
Unfair comparison.

Different roles.
Different eras.
Different technology available.

Are you serious?

You do realize the intent of the article was less about style and more about the next generation of space transport right?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join