It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: US War Crimes Lawsuit to be Filed in Germany

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Key figures of the US administration will be accused of war crimes related to the alleged Abu Ghraib torture scandal in Germany by a New-York based rights group. German law provides for foreigners to be prosecuted for capital crimes, and provides harsh penalties.

story.news.yahoo.com

Lawyers acting for a U.S. advocacy group will Tuesday file war crimes charges in Germany against senior U.S. administration officials for their alleged role in torture at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.

"German law in this area is leading the world," Peter Weiss, vice president of the New York-based Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR), a human rights group, was quoted as saying in Frankfurter Rundschau newspaper's Tuesday edition.

According to the group, German law allows war criminals to be investigated wherever they may be living.

Those to be named in the case to be filed at Germany's Federal Prosecutors Office include Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, former Central Intelligence Agency chief George Tenet and eight other officials.

The group is due to present details of its case at several news conferences Tuesday, according to invitations faxed to media organizations.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Since the US is ignoring the international institutions supposed to hold up international humanitarian law, the rule of law must find other ways to enact itself upon the US administration. A clever move by the human rights group, especially because the German legal system has a strong tradition of democratic legal positivism.

What would be the implications of a full fledged condemnation of the Bush administration for crimes against humanity or war crimes in Germany? How would the administration spin on that? Cut diplomatic ties with Germany, its most important military support point in the world?

[edit on 30-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Visits Tony Blair the next time and German Storm Troopers get rid of the President's Secret Service Detail and Arrest his butt. It could provide some really interesting entertainment.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Germany accusing the US of war crimes. Time and history provides its own irony. This lawsuit will never go anywhere.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I think it�s great the Germans should know about war crimes, the whole world knows about George Bush the war criminal even some Americans are waking up the fact, but I sadly think nothing will come from this, I mean Henry Kissinger is still running around lose,

Remember Bush�s visit to Chile

The Los Angeles Times of Nov. 18 reports,
"President Richard Lagos's government took the unusual step yesterday of announcing that Bush would have diplomatic immunity during his visit. The declaration was made after some activists filed a criminal complaint against Bush in court, claiming that he and other U.S. officials were guilty of war crimes in Iraq
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I mean Henry Kissinger is still running around loose,

And, ironically, Ollie North does TV documentaries on military subjects and patriotic issues of all things!!!

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
What bothers me most.. why do US Citizens impeach their own president in germany..
I mean.. Bush could even win here.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by tsuribito
What bothers me most.. why do US Citizens impeach their own president in germany..

The reason is that Germany has a staunch history for upholding the rule of law, even in political cases. Currently, a top police officer who ordered that a suspected murderer was to be menaced with torture is being judged for that. It will be interesting what form of political pressure the US are using against Germany, and how it yields.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by tsuribito

I also sometimes wonder why Bush is so unpopular, and why his foreign policy is even more so?

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
The problem for the US is this: the whole country is built on genocide. The whole place is one big war crime. and every last president should be brought to the Internat. Criminal Court and tried for genocide.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Anyone know whatever happened to this lawsuit or was it just a public dispplay of disdain towards Bushs' policies.

top topics

join