It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did the "moon ring like a bell" when anything landed on it? Not only American aircraft but Rus

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

God did make a beautiful place, didn't he? When you think of the perfection of everything we see and take part of on a daily basis, it is amazing to see the work of God! Even if you break down the human body in each part individually, it is amazing God could make such a perfect thing! Planets alignments, stars, how each planet serves it's own purpose, so much more! God is great, thanks for letting me take part in this amazing place!! As for the moon ringing like a bell, that is pretty cool! I have never heard about this, but I imagine there is a reason or purpose for this happening. Good thought process here, it is interesting to think about why this happens...?

I am not going to argue about God so please don't even instigate me.

If you don't want to discuss God........why did you mention him/her/it?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DustbowlDebutante

Nice find, but it's still not the raw data. It's analyzed by the approaches of seismology. I've done several years of vibration analysis for industrial applications, and I don't really understand seismology techniques in this context. The waves seem to center around 1Hz--i.e. one would *never* hear it. Very low frequency. The paper states evidence against multiple plates or interacting major bodies, and opens the hypothesis of a more solid rigid object. They also peak after several minutes, the energy of the impulse takes some time to fill the resonant band. Really thick glass can be struck, and one hears nothing for about 30 seconds, then it rings loudly, then it breaks. This happened to the initial piece of glass made for the New Orleans Aquarium shark tank. It got dinged on the install. Everyone held their breath and after about 30 seconds, everyone thought it was fine, and the danger passed. Then the energy flowed into the resonant band, the high pitch sound about blew ear drums and the glass shattered finally releasing the energy.

There's a lot more information in the raw data. Too bad, things like this aren't available to the public easily. You have to love the internet today, as such demands are being made of current research. Just reading all the Mars photo threads here is a joy. With a few clicks of the mouse, I'm looking at day old data from some place on Mars. It's quite amazing. The older data like this haven't made it to the web in a cohesive way. Sadly, some of it may even be lost to the sands of time.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit
I'm still trying to figure out what is meant by "ringing", since there is no atmosphere on the moon or in space through which sound waves need to travel. Is that an analogy for something else?

originally posted by: totallackey
Are you stating sound waves cannot travel through space?
First the waves that lasted 4 hours may not even be audible to humans.

The ground can transmit P-waves and s-waves. If the space is filled with air only the p-waves are transmitted (which includes sound). If the space is filled with a vacuum, no sound can travel through it.

The "ringing" was picked up by seismic detectors on the moons surface so they didn't have to travel through any space.

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
I should also add that the moon itself does have a type of atmosphere so it is not a vacuum and would allow sound to travel.
The so-called "atmosphere" of the moon is still a better vacuum than the best vacuum we can make on Earth, so no, I don't see how it can transmit sound. It can't, at least nothing that you could measure.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: GArnold
a reply to: Mapkar

I would agree with you... Except much of what we thought we know about the moon is wrong. Ancient cultures never mentioned a moon as having existed. The origins of the moon are in fact in total dispute. No one actually knows how it formed or when. That site I linked to has some incredible facts about the moon that defy any explanation so far.

I dunno about there being no evidence of ancient cultures mentioning the Moon....For instance a quick Google search brought up this ancient lunar calendar from 32,000 BC!

scribol.com...

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
We will not fully understand the moon until we are on Luna, with a base, drilling for oil
. jk about the oil, but we will need to drill into it and explore the interior to understand it more.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: CyberGarp
a reply to: [post=17981013]DustbowlDebutante[/

There's a lot more information in the raw data. Too bad, things like this aren't available to the public easily. You have to love the internet today, as such demands are being made of current research. Just reading all the Mars photo threads here is a joy. With a few clicks of the mouse, I'm looking at day old data from some place on Mars. It's quite amazing. The older data like this haven't made it to the web in a cohesive way. Sadly, some of it may even be lost to the sands of time.

Dang it, I was afraid it wasn't quite the right thing, but I couldn't really understand it...

Speaking of the sands of time, I think I read somewhere in either one of the links in the thread or one I read thru looking around, that NASA turned off the seismometers in 1977 due to budget cut-backs? That's a big loss right there...

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: bhornbuckle75

I didn't say no evidence.... I said in many cultures there is no mention of a moon. Apparently that predates 32,000 BC.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
here is one culture that does,,,

im surprised no one has mentioned,,

"And God made two great lights;
the greater light to rule the day,
and the lesser light to rule the night:
he made the stars also.

And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
And to rule over the day and over the night,
and to divide the light from the darkness:
and God saw that it was good.
And the evening and the morning were the fourth day."

guess we were not around yet.

a reply to: GArnold

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I'm still trying to figure out what is meant by "ringing", since there is no atmosphere on the moon or in space through which sound waves need to travel. Is that an analogy for something else?

@totallackey -- yup.

Yes, exactly. Sound waves need a medium to traverse/travel through. Electromagnetic frequencies can go through space (e.g. light) but not sound.

"In space, they can't hear you when you scream"
(ok, bad movie, but you get the idea)

TD

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: TommyD1966

@totallackey -- yup.

Yes, exactly. Sound waves need a medium to traverse/travel through. Electromagnetic frequencies can go through space (e.g. light) but not sound.

TD

aye,, he's right captn

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: GArnold
a reply to: bhornbuckle75

I didn't say no evidence.... I said in many cultures there is no mention of a moon. Apparently that predates 32,000 BC.

Are you trying to suggest that there is no mention of the moon in many cultures before 32,000 B.C. ?

You do realize that 32,000 B.C. is the Paleolithic era right? As in prehistoric. Just what cultures that predate 32,000 are you talking about that are not mentioning the moon? Neanderthals

What were you trying to suggest by implying that there is no mention of a moon by ancient cultures? That it didn't exist back then? If so....I think my previous link showing that prehistoric man not only knew of the Moon, but were even aware of it's cycles all the way back in the Paleolithic era, is pretty good evidence that the Moon has been here at least as long as we have.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

Love the Tom Cullen reference! So great! My brother and sister and I used to say that to each other all the time!

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: GArnold

I never knew it rang like a bell. Maybe it's hollow.

The eclipse fact has always fascinated me

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Many curious facts about the moon. It's rotation being equal to it's revolution, its size and distance ratios to the earth/sun and the moon is way too big for an earth sized planet.

Then theres evidence of the moon ringing and/or being hollow...study a little about what we think we know about the moon and different questions start popping up quick.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   
So the two posters above me haven't read the thread. That's a major problem on ATS; valid answers have already been posted, but some people just wanna go with the OP and say "yeah, that's a total mistery and scientists know nothing!"

To recap: the "ringing like a bell" is an euphemism. It refers to seismometers on the Moon registering shallow earthquakes that lasted a very long time, compared to earthquakes on Earth. This link has been posted here twice, but here its is again for posterity: www.nasa.gov...

Furthermore, shallow moonquakes lasted a remarkably long time. Once they got going, all continued more than 10 minutes. "The moon was ringing like a bell," Neal says.

On Earth, vibrations from quakes usually die away in only half a minute. The reason has to do with chemical weathering, Neal explains: "Water weakens stone, expanding the structure of different minerals. When energy propagates across such a compressible structure, it acts like a foam sponge--it deadens the vibrations." Even the biggest earthquakes stop shaking in less than 2 minutes.

The moon, however, is dry, cool and mostly rigid, like a chunk of stone or iron. So moonquakes set it vibrating like a tuning fork. Even if a moonquake isn't intense, "it just keeps going and going," Neal says. And for a lunar habitat, that persistence could be more significant than a moonquake's magnitude.Furthermore, shallow moonquakes lasted a remarkably long time. Once they got going, all continued more than 10 minutes. "The moon was ringing like a bell," Neal says.

Context is everything.

Also, the Moon's apparent size and position aren't perfect; some solar eclipses last several minutes, while in others the Moon doesn't cover the Sun completely, creating a "ring of fire". The Moon is also slowly moving further outwards, meaning that in the distant past is was much closer to Earth (and therefore looked bigger), and will be a lot further (and smaller) in the distant future.

So sad that many people don't know these basic facts about the Moon, but are quick to jump on the conspiracy bandwagon.
edit on 31-5-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuicideKing33
Many curious facts about the moon. It's rotation being equal to it's revolution, its size and distance ratios to the earth/sun and the moon is way too big for an earth sized planet.

Rotation = orbit , is called tidal locking or gravitational locking. This happens when a body is in a near orbit, like the moon orbiting earth or charon orbiting pluto.

It is NOT a mystery it is NOT curious. It' s plain old physics !!!!!!!!!!!!

How many times do we have to repeat this ? I mean come on folks you have a computer in front of you. It would take seconds to find out that there is no "curious mystery". This applies to many many things that pop up on ATS.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Here's another fact: all major moons in the Solar System are tidally locked to their planet, i.e. they show only one side to the planet. So the Moon isn't unique in that respect.

Also, some of Saturn's tidally-locked moons show differences on their leading and trailing sides, such as the leading side being darker from "sweeping up" the material in Saturn's rings. Pic So the Moon is again no unique in having two sides that look different.

Here's a cool animation showing that the Moon does indeed rotate: www.youtube.com...

edit on 31-5-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Ringing like a bell is an analogy.

A metaphor.

It is not hollow. It is not made of metal. It did not make a noise. The only medium to transmit the vibration is solid matter as their is no air up there.

It vibrates when struck in the same way that any solid body would:

www.iris.edu...

It's how those waves move and are refracted that allows to infer the internal structure.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TommyD1966

@totallackey -- yup.

TD

A common misconception, but Space is not a perfect vacuum and can be used to transport sound, even from huge distances.

"It's often said that in space, you can't hear yourself scream. True enough, more or less, but rather misleading. Recently, several SPACE.com readers wrote to ask how a B-flat emanating from a black hole could be detected from 250 million light-years away, as we reported earlier this month.

The answer, along with related interesting facts, reveals that silence is in the ear of the beholder, and ears come in a variety of configurations.

Sound can travel through space, because space is not the total vacuum it's often made out to be. Atoms of gas give the universe a ubiquitous atmosphere of sorts, albeit a very thin one.

Sound, unlike light, travels by compressing a medium. On Earth, the atmosphere works well as a sound-carrying medium, as does water. The planet itself is very adept at transmitting an earthquake's seismic waves, a form of sound.

Space, though not as efficient, can also serve as a medium."

-Space.com (NASA)

It seems sound waves can travel through space...Link

I mean, we are obviously picking up sound signals from space through what is called radio telescopes...
edit on 31-5-2014 by totallackey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: mahatche

Maybe he means ancient cultures of bacteria or ocean life not mentioning the moon.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join