It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SpaceX Unveil 'No Runway' Dragon V2 Space Capsule

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
And about time too , this has to be a great step forward and a way of making journeys into space much cheaper , ultimately it could open up space travel to the general public.

SpaceX has unveiled a re-useable spacecraft which it says will be able to take-off and land anywhere on Earth, "like a helicopter".
The seven-seater Dragon V2 is equipped with side-mounted thrusters and legs to allow it to land vertically, without the need for a runway.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Full unveil.

edit on 30-5-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
yeah this was their first actual test i remeber from a few months ago.

Very close to making this a reality

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Freaking awesome! I can't wait 'til I can buy my own.

This Dragon v2 is giving me hope for the future. We need to focus more on leaving our planet than what celebrities eat on Sunday brunch.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

I'm eager to see a drop test of one of these Dragon 2 Capsules -- i.e., drop it from 30,000 feet up and watch it land like it does in the video animation.

edit on 5/30/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Now that is cool.
I love the interface screens-much more up to date than the sort of analogue switches and flashing lights of the space shuttle era.
Looks quite roomy as well-so less chance of astronaugts getting clastrophobic/cabin fever!

I really could see one of these landing on Mars within the next 10-15 years.

Good Job SpaceX!

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse

Looks quite roomy as well-so less chance of astronaugts getting clastrophobic/cabin fever!

I really could see one of these landing on Mars within the next 10-15 years.

There is a configuration of the Dragon 2 that can fit seven astronauts (if they wanted to shuttle 7 astronauts back and forth between the ISS and Earth), so just think how roomy it is for four.

EDIT TO ADD:
However, I think that is still too small to be used as the only crew compartment for a mars Mission. Maybe the Dragon 2 could be part of that Mars vehicle, but I think they would need another habitation/supply module.

edit on 5/30/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People
However, I think that is still too small to be used as the only crew compartment for a mars Mission. Maybe the Dragon 2 could be part of that Mars vehicle, but I think they would need another habitation/supply module.

Totally agree,not for the crew for the whole journey. its part of a bigger beast-but as a landing module,this is streets ahead of any we have seen deployed.

Bring on the tests!

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
yeah this was their first actual test i remeber from a few months ago.

Very close to making this a reality

Cool video, but that's not the Dragon 2. That's the Grasshopper Rocket. The Dragon 2 is a reusable capsule capable of the same type of landing though. Gotta hand it Elon Musk, the man's got vision.

top topics

join