It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irony is Dead

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

opps thought u said ivory was dead,,,my bad,,

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I love your posts. And I miss irony...a lot. I even love its cousin, sarcasm.

My dead dad's doctors name was Irony. I really loved that too.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I recently noticed the fabric that makes up my ironing board is wrinkled...

Gosh, I love reading your post; such a breath of fresh air. Thank you for taking the time and energy to share your wonderful words of wisdom. Also, ty for expanding my vocabulary.

Involutionist
edit on 30-5-2014 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

It's not really dead, it's creeping in the shadows. If you take a deep breath and put your pride aside, you can still have clandestine meetings.
My friend was sent home from work last week with a head injury. The health and safety manual fell off a shelf and clonked him on the head. It was too big you see, too many sections and rules...

I understand, the sections were perhaps written by Oscar Wilde, Jonathan Swift and Mark Twain? Shadow creeping; where are the pundits now (Stephen Colbert), (RIP George Carlin).

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=17981309]BobAthome[/post

No you misread it completely. EBONY is dead.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
If irony survives, my experience is that it is especially vibrant amongst the proletariat and poor.

At least in Cape Town, if one asks a fruit seller whether the tangerines are sweet, one will most likely get a remark like: "Yes mister, just look how nice and quietly they are sleeping in the box".

That's the spice of life for me.
Or coming on the beach after a long winter with snow-white legs, and hearing local brown people snickering and saying: "He's been lying in the Jik (bleach) too long".

I often think that those who come with their slogans and politically correct injunctions are fake middle-class revolutionaries posing as members of the proletariat.

As for urinating in public - that issue is often moralized here, but what can one do when there's no toilets, and it should be seen as a social good if one is truly intending to "water the daises".
I'm sure Alexander did it every day.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

But elitism is alive and kicking.
“You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
edit on 31-5-2014 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

At the core of everything human, will always be the human life that must be lived. All else is entertainment, distraction, or that which can be actually used to better the human life that must be lived. Little by little more and more humans are living, and in different ways, in potentially better ways, and well to compare and care about the comparison is quite tough, because the living now, the humans life that must be lived currently, is all that matters. But yes, culture and technology, attempts to create nodes and regions of stability for humans living, of greater or less stability. So one could argue a man who works, and then watches tv, and eats, and sleeps, and then works, and watches sports, and then hangs with friends, and sleeps, and eats, and works, and then has kids etc. is experiencing a more valuable and worthy and enjoyable life than someone who thinks about some of the subject matter in your OP, is that ironic?

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: vethumanbeing

It's not really dead, it's creeping in the shadows. If you take a deep breath and put your pride aside, you can still have clandestine meetings.
My friend was sent home from work last week with a head injury. The health and safety manual fell off a shelf and clonked him on the head. It was too big you see, too many sections and rules...

I understand, the sections were perhaps written by Oscar Wilde, Jonathan Swift and Mark Twain? Shadow creeping; where are the pundits now (Stephen Colbert), (RIP George Carlin).

Ha ha!
It was Voltaire's risk assessment forms that bulked it out, I suspect

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Where is Diogenes today?

Masturbating.

Disturbing mental image...

Is it?

...but true.

Of course.

I think his reasoning was we rub our bellies when its necessary, why not other parts of the body?

*shrug*

Quite true.

Ergo the offense.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
originally posted by: Veteranhumanbeing

[I]beansidhe[/I]Ha ha!
It was Voltaire's risk assessment forms that bulked it out, I suspect

And Cervantes had all of the ironic footnotes to the "this is life as you perceive it" procedural manual; Don Quixote, Sancho Ponza must have added 20 extra pounds to that book that resulted in the unfortunate head injury.
edit on 31-5-2014 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Irony is not dead it is merely turning it's back on the world

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: FreeThinkerbychoice
Irony is not dead it is merely turning it's back on the world

Sarcasm did not cause this because that is a negative; perhaps Irony forgot he has always had his best friends available standing in the wings "HUMOR" and its brother "SATIRE" also its cousin "SARDONISM" just lost touch maybe (families divided) because there is no human audience (anymore) to perceive their existence. If no one acknowledged me I suppose I would cease to exist as well (no purpose).
edit on 2-6-2014 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join