It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vietnam takes delivery of Kilo Class Attack Submarine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Well, as we hear about brand new Type 94 Missile Subs operated by the Chinese being stationed at Hainan Island? I came across this while researching a different story. Vietnam has taken delivery of the first of six Kilo Class Type 636 Submarines.

Now when I had first seen the headline, I thought they might be cast offs and surplus as are floating around. (No pun intended) It seems the order goes back a few years, as an ATS Thread reported at the time.

Of course, it's quite a time for this order to just start delivering, all things considered. Beijing must be thrilled! Here is a map I found online to show relative position of things.

Satellite imagery from 02MAR14 acquired by Digital Globe shows Vietnam’s first Project 636 Kilo, the HQ-182 Hanoi, at the refurbished and expanded military port. The diesel electric submarine is the first of six boats ordered by Vietnam and built by Russia’s Admiralty Verfi Shipyard.

The Project 636 join Vietnam’s existing submarine forces already in Cam Ranh Bay. Imagery from March also showed both of Vietnam’s Yugo class submarines berthed at their deployment site less than 4 nautical miles to the southeast. In 1997, North Korea provided Vietnam with the two boats which, according to Jane’s reports, have subsequently been refitted. Since their delivery, they have only been observed at Cam Ranh Bay, though large gaps in open source satellite imagery collection exist for many of Vietnam’s ports.
Source

Now to be realistic, this isn't a Yugo to go running around in. Just taking delivery is a long way from being operational to do more than give other navies in the region something new to shoot at in a conflict.

However, it is interesting to note the general rise in technology and stakes across the region coupled with the multiple sea/island disputes in the larger area.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
China is never happy with Russia selling arms specificly to be used against it to India or Vietnam. Russia does as Russia does shakes your hand while handing your enemy a gun. Not that China trusts Russia but, it has to get annoying to have them continue to do things like this while at the same time proclaim to have you best interests at heart.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
The new Kilos make everything else on or under the water in littoral areas pucker up and walk funny! In an area of restricted maneuvering like the China Sea six Kilos are a game changer. This could be the reason China forward deployed their missile subs. Less travel distance to the expected firing area.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I just found this and wanted to hop back to add it. It's a link to the specs on the Yugo Class submarine, as the article mentions for seeing inside Cam Ranh Bay where the new Kilo is parked.

SSM Yugo and P-4 class (Midget Submarine) (SSW)

Definitely no comparison except to say both do submerge and at least one has a real good history of surfacing again too! ..Okay, I'm sure the Yugo's aren't that bad, but they do look like real shallow (120 meter) special operations type subs to infiltrate people more than anything.

edit on 5/29/2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
China is never happy with Russia selling arms specificly to be used against it to India or Vietnam. Russia does as Russia does shakes your hand while handing your enemy a gun. Not that China trusts Russia but, it has to get annoying to have them continue to do things like this while at the same time proclaim to have you best interests at heart.

Russia and China are very much alike in this.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Russia and China are very much alike in this.

I don't know I think China is pretty foward about things. They never proclaim any great love or loyalty to anyone. If they do not like you, as in the case of the Phillipines they will not even send any real aid during disasters. China seems like they are pretty straight up with things.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
The Vietnamese Kilo's were ordered in 2009.

During a very high point in China-Vietnam relations.

I doubt China, Russia, or Vietnam, for that matter, imagined that they would get their first deployment during a staring match between 2 of them.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

That is one thing I do respect about China. It's a bit of a paradox too. I mean, the Chinese tend to be strategic and long term thinkers, not being defined by things like 4 year political cycles. Chess players.

On the other hand, they never have been ones to put on pretenses and wear them around like a suit. They didn't make excuses for Tienanmen Square. They just said it shall not be spoken of, period. Well...That is straight forward. As you note, the same with aid. They don't pretend to be friends for disaster, then bomb away on the same nation later.

I suppose there is a refreshing quality to that up front nature with things. No one really needs to wonder where they stand if they take the Chinese at their word. That's a virtue in itself in this crazy modern world.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420
The Vietnamese Kilo's were ordered in 2009.

During a very high point in China-Vietnam relations.

I doubt China, Russia, or Vietnam, for that matter, imagined that they would get their first deployment during a staring match between 2 of them.

The decline in Chinese Viet relashions started in 2009 when China declared a fishing moratorium in the south china sea and started arresting Viet fishermen. Vietnam repsonded by encoureging its fishermen to violate those waters and then began re-arming. The purchase of those subs was to directly counter China's actions at sea. They had stong trade tie sthen but, anti chinses sentiment was on the rise including warnings from Giap himself.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

The decline in Chinese Viet relashions started in 2009 when China declared a fishing moratorium in the south china sea and started arresting Viet fishermen. Vietnam repsonded by encoureging its fishermen to violate those waters and then began re-arming. The purchase of those subs was to directly counter China's actions at sea. They had stong trade tie sthen but, anti chinses sentiment was on the rise including warnings from Giap himself.

Ah...so the Vietnamese are psychic?

The contract negotiations started in 2007.

Try again.

Negotiations began 2007.
Final pricing was confirmed before April 2009.
Delivery scheduled was signed and sealed Dec 2009.

If the Vietnamese were responding to anybody, it was to Indonesia's purchase of the same sub in September 2007.
edit on 30-5-2014 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

Ah...so the Vietnamese are psychic?

The contract negotiations started in 2007.

Try again.

Negotiations began 2007.
Final pricing was confirmed before April 2009.
Delivery scheduled was signed and sealed Dec 2009.

If the Vietnamese were responding to anybody, it was to Indonesia's purchase of the same sub in September 2007.

Do you not know that China and Vietnam have been having issues at sea for decades? How about in 2007 in the South China Sea when Chinese and Viet ships had a confrontation off the Western Parecel Islands leading to collisions between their ships. China has been Vietnams primary threat at sea for decades. Clashes on a regular basis make this no secret. They have made it no secret that they were rearming to counter China. Vietnam did not upgrade its stategic ties with Russia in 2012 for any other reason than the threat of China. Just as Russia arms and supports the Indian Navy know full and well that those upgrades are being bough to deal with China at sea. I do not know why this seems to suprise you it is not like any of this is a secret.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
personally i like this design,,

ramming speed,,Ensign,,,Aye ,Aye Capt. Nemo,,,

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Kilo class subs are soon going to demonstrate how Submarine-Launched Kalibr missile kill terrorists better than Submarine-launched Tomahawk, and 100 times better than anything, the decrepit EUro colonialists can field.

new topics

top topics

join