It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happened to the old commitment for high quality, high level posters to not see ads?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
For me the ads that are new are the various moving blinking trembling top ads, some of which expand when my pointer gets nears them and cover things, even posts. I am crying in my mango juice.
edit on 31-5-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN

Somewhere along the way, IIRC . . . there was something about those of us who had a lot of affirmed posts past a certain level would not see ads in our thread reading and postings. And those who had applause's beyond 20 and flags above ???? would not see ads anywhere. I've tried to find that blurb or post and failed.

Anyone remember anything like that?

I seem to recall that there was an announcement of the perk on this forum, and it was spelled out clearly how one could earn it.

I remember looking forward to getting to that point, and appreciating very much not having to look at ads, which I hate, unless I'm looking for them because I'm in the market for something.

I certainly hope that staff will respond to your thread.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
thankfully the BEST BUY one from yesterday is gone.
That popped up on top ever time I changed a page.
And a video started running ....

Irritation!

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

As a well respected, good posting 10 year veteran . . . I'd think you wouldn't be seeing ANY ads at all???!!!

Puzzling to the max.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Do you all really want to create, or be a part of an elite and entitled class of members at ATS?

Maybe the top should have the title: Supreme Member

No ads for them at all.

2nd class: Super Member

Fewer ads for them.

3rd class: Member

Ads everywhere and on everything, and paid subscription required to access and use upload and member settings, chat etc.?

Would that work well for you?

All of this would be based on number of posts, w and k rankings.

edit on 31-5-2014 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Where is a mod when you need them 3 will show up soon i bet

2nd line

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ausername

imho . . . that's a nonsense response . . .

We all earn this or that bonus, perk, privilege etc. in dozens of places in our daily lives all the time.

e.g. I'm a BEST BUY REWARDS CARD member. Ditto at half a dozen or more merchants around town that I respect and do most of my business with--Smith's, Safeway, various restaurants; Sportsman's warehouse . . . It's a great way to increase customer loyalty and a sense of BELONGING to the FAMILY--which is an added tweak toward repeated buying out of that increased sense of belonging and loyalty.

There's plenty of fracturing and NOT belonging in our culture. And yeah, it's a bit mercenary . . . but it's a LOT better than NO such rewards for "good behavior!"

REINFORCEMENT is a GREAT WAY to increase desired, preferred behavior. A parent who doesn't use it is silly.

Rewarding better and more prolific posting with less ads is a great way to tweak up the quality of the site and thereby the readership and more quality posting.

It would be absurd NOT to use it.

But more absurd than NOT using it . . . would be to use it and to somehow allow or facilitate it becoming a garbled dysfunctional obscure mess.

edit on 31/5/2014 by BO XIAN because: added forgot

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

By rewarding privileged members with no ads, you are inadvertently suggesting that ads are a kind of punishment for lesser members. You are creating a climate that suggests that all advertisements are negative... Not a good business approach.

One ATS, one community, one standard for all... As it should be.

IMO

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Equality of worth as persons of value worthy fair treatment etc. is one thing.

Pretending everyone is equal in terms of posting contribution amounts and qualities is silly and absurd.

I'm all for encouraging each child on a playground or in a classroom to be the best they can be.

Nevertheless, pretending that each child can jump as high as every other child is silly.

Pretending that each child can write award winning short stories is absurd.

Each of us have our own strengths and weaknesses. We warrant fair treatment regardless. However, we also warrant fitting rewards for good deeds and good performance in areas and venues of strength.

Folks who can't or won't manage the fray of realistic rewards for good performance . . . are likely unable/unwilling to rise to the challenges of daily life, may insist that everything ought to be a 100% level playing field with all individuals treated 100% equally on all factors in all contexts etc. etc. yada, yada, yada.

But actually, the world is not that way. It's never been that way. It's not likely to ever be that way--even in the Millenial reign of Christ.

Choices and behaviors HAVE CONSEQUENCES.

OTHERWISE, IT IS ABSURD TO THINK THAT CHOICES AND BEHAVIORS MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

And IF choices and behaviors make NO DIFFERENCE--then one may as well [insert whatever horrific abuse] vs feed one peaches and cream.

IF you think that a world, a life, a multiverse or an ATS WHERE CHOICES AND BEHAVIORS MAKE NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever, would be an ideal . . . I don't know that I can say anything that would bring enlightenment.

Essentially, that would result in chaos and a great deal of unfairness; erratic abusiveness, meaninglessness etc.

That's NOT a world I'd prefer to be part of.

And, I do NOT think it makes the least bit of a reasonable business model for ATS or any other business.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Okay, you convinced me. You should absolutely be among the entitled elite on ATS. If there is one.

I'm impressed with your passion, and sense that you have lost your precious entitlement, or have somehow been unjustly wronged here. I hope you get what you want. Wish you all the best. Sincerely.

As for me, I am obviously way out of my league here, too rich for my bloodline.

Time for me to exit this discussion and go hang out with the lesser members and peasantry in the general forums where I belong.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I don't think I'm communicating effectively.

It's not an issue of elite vs peasant in any sense of worth-as-a-human . . . Sigh.

If you assign your 5 kids to do a list of 15 items of yard work . . . and let them know that good/better/best performance will earn a bonus . . .

and then you pay them all equally though one really busted their buns doing an excellent job and one mostly idled away the time with barely half hearted efforts accomplishing not much . . .

then that's silly and dysfunctional as well as teaching the children that the world is really crazy, makes no sense and hard work is not worth it.

Is that REALLY the message any thinking parent wants to teach their child?

Is it WISDOM for ATS to teach members that low levels of posting bad quality posts is just as valued by the ATS community as high levels of posting high quality posts?

I think not. That's just silly on the face of it.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Am NOT SURE IF something has changed, or not.

On the RECENT POSTS listings page . . . there's now no ad at the top.

Yet there is an ad at the top of this thread page.

Curious.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

It's puzzling to me why you feel so entitled to special treatment, that your eyes should be deemed too important to be sullied by ads. The difference between ATS, and free non-subscription based websites in general, and a Best Buy rewards program, is that you don't give ATS your money. ATS is free for everybody to come here, not just those with a whole lot of posts.
edit on 5/31/2014 by Monger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Monger

ATS is free for everybody to come here, not just those with a whole lot of posts.
edit on 5/31/2014 by Monger because: (no reason given)

INCENTIVES for prolific and high quality posting do NOT change that free-for-all issue at all.

However, I do note your insult.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN
Yet there is an ad at the top of this thread page.

Curious.

I also have one at the top of myATS, which I think is even curiouser!
edit on 05/31/14 by Mary Rose because: Typo

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Monger

You know, Monger, that your post misses the point entirely. BO XIAN is not saying there should be no ads. He is not saying he is offended by them.

If you would care to address the point, it is that BO XIAN believed that ATS made an agreement with it's posters, and he doesn't believe the agreement is being honored.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

My

thoughts

exactly .. !!!

I've been on the boards since 2009 nearly almost daily .. and remember this was presented to us which really lit quite a fire under me to think about what I posted and the quality of each thread and each post.. granted we all get heated of certain subjects.. but the average of all threads and post is what I shoot for..

GREAT THREAD.. ! I'd give ya 100 starts and flags if I could .. !

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Yes add ons can make browsers crawl when it comes to loading pages, I also use trial and error to see how much I can get away without losing the entire "net experience".

But most of the advertising in the net that hit most computers users comes from Google as they have taken center stage to dominate about everything in the net.

Personally I hate google no because it originated oversea but because I hate anything that tries to become a monopoly while killing the competition to manipulate which information have priority depending on profit margin.

But as for ATS I have not problem with adds, I did, for a brief moment until I got Google adds under control with stopping their tracking.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Yes, I believe the same thing, because like I explain in my last post, I did started to get advertising for a brief money after the site did their last change, but taking care of Google tracking stop the problem.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join