It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Convictions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Many people are firm believers in their faith. Some have had experiences that make them believe beyond a shadow of a doubt their faith (religion, spirituality, etc.) is the one true faith. Maybe they have had a miraculous healing, or perhaps a vision. Perhaps they walk and talk with their God daily. No doubt religious experiences can be very powerful and moving. But are they really signs that your faith is the right faith? Is there a right faith? Is there a wrong one?

I want to know:
What tells you your belief system is the truth?

How are your religious convictions any different than those of someone else, in a different religion?
edit on 29-5-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

Haven't we already seen this thread? I'm pretty sure there's a few different discussions revolving around this question...

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I don't think we'll ever collectively be able to say if any certain "Faith" is right or wrong or even if it should be considered in the first place. To do so would mean everyone totally agreeing with one another and that NEVER happens with a large population.

However, for someone who has had some kind of experience, especially if it's something as profound as "Walking and Talking with God" on occasion, or even rare occasions, I would imagine that would certainly solidify their opinion on the matter. Even if it was just the fact that they were totally crazy and delusional. For the person having the crazy delusions it wouldn't matter. The problem however is that since not everyone gets to experience that same delusion or miracle, it only has meaning for the one who does experience it while everyone else is left without.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

But are they really signs that your faith is the right faith?
I don't think so, at least from my own experience.
It tells you that there are supernatural things but you can get that same idea from movies and TV shows.
Real religion is something a lot more subtle than that, being more intellectually based and involves things like study since it is a language based thing, meaning the purpose of what we normally think of as religion is a way to transmit these spiritual concepts to other people.

edit on 29-5-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

I don't know if this specific thread has been done before but a lot of the threads in this section ultimately turn into religious debates. Maybe this time around it won't turn into a debate. My hope is that the questions raised will make people question their own beliefs and maybe come out of that with a more open mind.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer
Is there a right faith? Is there a wrong one?

Nope. All religions are true, for their time and place. 'The truth is one, the sages speak of it by many names'.

When a religious person who is not fluent in world religion & myth has a mystical experience, they often take it as confirmation that their belief system is correct and others incorrect. That marks the beginning of the mystical process. As they progress, they will learn to let go of the concepts of their time and place. To transcend their culture, their religion. It's a painful process. But necessary.

edit on 077Thursday000000America/ChicagoMay000000ThursdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Definition of faith by Mark Twain " Beleiving what you know aint so" I have faith in my own abilities and faith in my wife. But putting faith into a fairey tale is where I draw the line. Answer a question op. Why so many religions, but only one purported God ? I'm pretty sure if God was real we would all be under one roof religously speaking. As in he/she would'nt allow but one.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

There are more than one purported God even if you come from a monotheistic religion (at least Abrahamic). I'm no expert on religions, but I imagine there are various reasons why there are so many different ones.

Control is definitely one of them.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
The nature of ALL of mankind is religious.It is the amalgamation of all of your experiences believed through faith in your Belief System religion.It doesn't matter what it is… it is "belief".It is impossible to prove without a doubt that you even exist!Thinking therefore you are is not proof, it is a belief.

Religion is the nature of mankind in the physical realm.It is the antithesis of "knowing" the creator God.However just as everything the Belief System religion is just a stage in stages of a process.None can cause this process to work any other way it is the nature of the overall physical realm system.Religion is the core cause of all the conflict between mankind not the cure.That is the conundrum wrapped in a dilemma.That means no religion is truth.A little leaven corrupts the whole loaf of bread.Truth is not horseshoes or hand grenades where "close" is okay.

Mans "search" for truth and especially the creator God is vain futility by religion.Religion can at most(i.e...very little) only teach by rote rules and methods and occasionally compel people to do what is not natural to them(act ethically and morally).Everyones physical realm life's experience is in exact accordance to their nature and character.There is none that can "change" that especially since their religion is the catalyst for their nature and character!The proverbial saying "you can't pick yourself up by your own bootstraps" applies.

The harder you try to change (repent) the more you will fail and the blinder you will become to your own condition.The physical realm life has one purpose… to live"your" life….then die.It is only a stages within a stage of an infinite process.The creator God is not making a list and checking it twice to see who's been naughty or nice ….they already know very well what everyone's nature and character is…religion…false belief in reality.Only the creator God can change(repent) that…and they will..even if it takes a very, very long time.

The Good News is it all turns out very well for ALL…with no faith needed…thank GOD!!

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

No religion is in it's details true as the laws within obscure the core.

Belief/faith should be practiced by loving that which was/is/always will be first, hence last, and beyond. For that is the true God. We have many names for him/her/it. We can never measure it, but call upon it with pure will of your heart, mind, soul and body filled with love/care/compassion/kindness and surely, your answer will come. There is but one God, regardless of religion.

There is only one faith and belief, all else is a lie as there is but one truth, not many. A tree has many branches which lead to the core, but those that wither were never. A lie is not, yet is for a short time.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
In my case, my faith is that Jesus purchased me from slavery to sin, with His death. My faith came first, then as my faith grew, miracles began to happen. I wasnt lured into Christianity by some spectacle. God provides me with confirmation as my capcity for faith expands.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

But how are your religious convictions any different than those of someone else, in a different religion? Getting their own confirmations.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I think so long as the religion/faith/belief is one of peace & no one gets hurt (including the person worshiping said faith) then you are on the right course. Be honest, be loving, don't judge others, don't hate, don't kill, etc (common sense good things) then it doesn't matter what you call the higher power, if you worship in a church or out in nature.

I used to be Presbyterian, was even baptized into the church, but I was young & didn't fully know everything about the religion. As I got older, I started to have problems with the religion & had to leave because I'm bi sexual, don't believe the bible to be factual but more of a 'moral of the story' book. Since then my beliefs are along the lines of agnostic but I don't like to chuck myself into a group because I'm open to all possibilities, even that there is no higher power. After all, I changed faiths before.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

But how are your religious convictions any different than those of someone else, in a different religion? Getting their own confirmations.

I personally believe that there are two categories of faith: Faith in the redemptive work of Christ (Christianity), and faith in the abilities of man (Religion).

In Christianity, we do not seek the abrobation of God by our works, but rather by faith in His Son in whom He is well pleased. It is our faith in Him that allows us to live as Christ did.

In my opinion, religion focuses on what man can do to ascend to heaven: good works, meditation, esoteric learning, "enlightenment". This is all a red herring to me. As Jesus stated, first clean the inside of the cup before cleaning the outside.

First have faith (motivated by love) in Him , then walk in faith.

This is what sets Christianity apart from religion in my mind. Im not working for my ticket to heaven, Im working to express my love for God.

As far as miracles go, I only believe what glorifies Jesus as revealed in the bible. Any fallen angel can crank out parlor tricks to entertain the masses. The defining factor is in the message taught by the miracle.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Many people are firm believers in their faith. Some have had experiences that make them believe beyond a shadow of a doubt their faith (religion, spirituality, etc.) is the one true faith. Maybe they have had a miraculous healing, or perhaps a vision. Perhaps they walk and talk with their God daily. No doubt religious experiences can be very powerful and moving. But are they really signs that your faith is the right faith? Is there a right faith? Is there a wrong one?

I want to know:
What tells you your belief system is the truth?

How are your religious convictions any different than those of someone else, in a different religion?

there is no such thing as the right faith.

95% of people follow the faith of their parents.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   

I appreciate your responses but I'm not sure if they are answering my question. You say any fallen angel can crank out parlor tricks. I am assuming from your perspective that the other religions or beliefs stem from fallen angels and Satan, which would make them ultimately wrong because they are there to lead people down the wrong path. This I can agree is true from a Christian point of view. But what confirmation do you actually have that Christianity is "the way the truth and the light"? You said God provides you with confirmation. I am not questioning powerful experiences one can have with religion, spirituality, faith, or however you want to define "it". I'm wondering what makes people so sure that their belief system is the universal truth. Confirmation of beliefs are experienced by people of all belief systems. Because you've had confirmations in your beliefs, and your beliefs teach that other belief systems (for the most part) are essentially works of fallen angels and Satan, that makes your belief the right path to take? I don't think there is a way to know beyond a shadow of a doubt.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   

It's an interesting question, and I would guess that there are a lot of different answers, even for people with the same beliefs. Christian, so I did learn what it meant pretty young. Nothing was forced, however, even church attendance. We went because we wanted to, more often than not with the grandparents, because my parents didn't go much. I decided to accept Jesus as Savior as a child, because it simply felt like the right thing to do. No one ever said I had to, and no threats of eternal damnation were discussed. It's difficult to explain, but I simply knew that God was in charge, and that He loved me, and it felt right to follow Him.

Over the years, I didn't attend church as much, because we moved, and didn't give a lot of thought to my faith, but it was always there. As I got older, I did have some experiences that strengthened that faith, and which were very real. These didn't prove anything to me; they simply showed me that God is faithful, and that He does take care of those that trust Him.

I do believe there is one right faith, and that many are indeed wrong. Not right church, mind you; right faith. The local church label doesn't matter; it's the personal decision that counts.

For details, you could pretty much read what the Southern Baptists believe, and I am basically right there.

You didn't share your own beliefs, or lack of. Care to share those?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
As far as miracles go, I only believe what glorifies Jesus as revealed in the bible. Any fallen angel can crank out parlor tricks to entertain the masses. The defining factor is in the message taught by the miracle.

I agree that one should be careful about "miracles", but I do believe they happen. I have seen some. Saw a newborn with a fractured skull who was healed overnight, after many prayers for healing. Seen other healing as well, that doctors couldn't explain (as in that case). I have seen cars moved from a pending collision to opposite sides of an intersection, when they could not possibly move through without a severe accident. There, I was in one of the cars. The message? God answers prayer, and He can protect us from even things hat seem impossible to avoid. Why He does when He does, I can't say, but I appreciate it nonetheless!

Any miracle should be in line with Biblical teaching, of course. Anything that is off, even a little, is fake.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   

I appreciate your responses but I'm not sure if they are answering my question. You say any fallen angel can crank out parlor tricks. I am assuming from your perspective that the other religions or beliefs stem from fallen angels and Satan, which would make them ultimately wrong because they are there to lead people down the wrong path. This I can agree is true from a Christian point of view. But what confirmation do you actually have that Christianity is "the way the truth and the light"? You said God provides you with confirmation. I am not questioning powerful experiences one can have with religion, spirituality, faith, or however you want to define "it". I'm wondering what makes people so sure that their belief system is the universal truth. Confirmation of beliefs are experienced by people of all belief systems. Because you've had confirmations in your beliefs, and your beliefs teach that other belief systems (for the most part) are essentially works of fallen angels and Satan, that makes your belief the right path to take? I don't think there is a way to know beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I can offer one answer there. One thing I can tell you is I know my Savior is real, and His Word is true, because I know Him. It's hard to not believe in someone when you know them personally. Physically? No, but spiritually, and that is very real. I can't prove that, because it's a faith thing, but I do know.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
You didn't share your own beliefs, or lack of. Care to share those?

I was raised Christian and accepted Christ as my Lord and Savior somewhere around seven or eight years old, on my own accord. The experience was very profound. Some time after that I was baptized at the small church my family attended. I learned a lot of good values and have fond memories of those days. As I got older I started to see a lot of hypocrisy in our church, and even experienced some of it first hand. Going to church eventually became a choice rather than something I had to go to with my parents. I stopped going altogether when I was sixteen. I've always been analytical and eventually my question everything attitude turned towards my faith. I found too many inconsistencies, interpretations, translations, denominations, ignorance to certain facts (or ignoring of facts), extremely popular charlatans, among other things, for me to continue to take Christianity seriously. I don't know what I believe now. Certainly many thoughts and questions swell around in my mind. I would share more but it will turn into a huge wall of text and would be off topic.

edit on 30-5-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join