It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Restaurant Bans Gay Couple Because ‘We Do Not Like Fags’

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

Well said brother, the restaurant staff are jerks. Their attitude will cost them financially in the long run. There's no law against being ignorant. Likewise, that couple will gladly spend their money elsewhere.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

Well that post deserved an "A" for effort alone. I appreciate your perspective as well, judge not!

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite
a reply to: James1982

Let the man have his restaurant and operate it how he likes - no harm was actually done here. Just hurt feelings, bruised egos and people getting their backs up over something that is really quite silly.

That's basically my view. People are people and you can't expect to walk around in a world where everyone loves you and is happy for your lifestyle and you never get pissed off.

People SHOULD, however, be able to walk around in a world where they won't get beat up or killed for their lifestyle. And we've had laws on the books for ages to cover assault, murder, etc and they (in theory) apply to everybody equally.

Special laws on the books for protected classes don't make everyone equal. If I'm a victim of assault, the perpetrator will get a far more lenient sentence than if the victim was gay. And that's not just judges making choices, that's the letter of the law. The message is obvious, hurt a straight person and it's "Bad" but hurt a gay person and it's "Really Really Bad" That's not equality at all, if being gay means your attacker gets in more trouble. Or if you look at it the other way, if you are straight, it's less of a crime to attack you.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   

As far as judgement goes......I didn't use the bible as my "get out of jail free" card. He did.

BIG difference.

edit on 30-5-2014 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   

I was assaulted by a buch of black teens as a white man. It WAS considered a "hate crime". How does that coincide with your "special" theory?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

originally posted by: markosity1973
Well, on the bright side, it sounds like we've found a great way to get a free meal; go to a restaurant, eat dinner, canoodle a bit and voila!

You are asked to leave and leave quickly.

only in America........

Doesn't anyone even read the articles anymore??? It's no wonder the arguments just keep going on forever. Half the people here just comment without even reading the details about what's going on.

Nobody got a free meal. They ate then paid and on the way out they were asked to not come back because they were gay. No free lunch!! The American Way!!

Wow, sensitive lol.

Still, where I come from, our entire nation is covered by anti discrimination laws. You cannot refuse service or employment based upon lawful sexual activity among a whole bunch of other things. And yes, homosexuality is legal here.

So, once again, 'Only on America....'

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: lambs to lions

Dear lambs to lions,

Thank you very much. Shall I tell you a secret? Shhh! I don't want to win this debate. What I want to do is clear away preconceived notions, get rid of prejudice, have people stop repeating slogans from some editorial, and start treating everybody as people.

We're not going to learn, or solve, anything if we keep coming at each other clad in our armor with our visors welded shut.

I want to listen to you provide evidence and logic to show me some truth I didn't know before. I will do my best to be open and to listen to it all. I won't dismiss it right away. I want the same from people who disagree with me.

If we shout at each other we'll just create more Gay Pride Parades and "God hates Fags" signs. Each side trying to out-extreme the other.

If I'm going the wrong way with this please, somebody, tell me.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   

I'd rather this didn't turn into a group wank session, but for what it's worth I think you're spot on.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Always the gentleman Charles

You are quite right. There is no need to blow this out of proportion. Haters gonna hate, that will never change. The only real issue here is that Texas law allows for this to happen. That is something for the people of Texas to put right, not us.

And if you're a gay person in Texas, you might want to avoid that homophobic hatebed of a restaurant from now on.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I am so incredibly grateful to you for your kind words. Do you think it is possible to turn this into a productive discussion of attitudes, and what the country has to do to live together over this issue, or is that for a different thread?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: HandyDandy

I was assaulted by a buch of black teens as a white man. It WAS considered a "hate crime". How does that coincide with your "special" theory?

I'm not sure what you're asking? I don't think ANYONE should be charged with a hate crime.

So you are somehow more important of a victim because your attackers were black and attacked you for being white? Sorry, no. You were a victim of assault, your color and the colors of your attackers don't make the crime and more or less severe.

You seem to be attributing thoughts to me that aren't mine...
edit on 30-5-2014 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I'm not going to dignify a response for such a comment. You know what I meant
edit on 30-5-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

What the hell is "men acts men,women acts like ladies “?
Evil gender stereotype .

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952
I am so incredibly grateful to you for your kind words. Do you think it is possible to turn this into a productive discussion of attitudes, and what the country has to do to live together over this issue, or is that for a different thread?

I think the answer is easier than you think Charles.

I'm both gay and a proud Catholic. If I make mention of my catholicism I draw just as much, if not more negativity as I do when I say I am gay.

Catholics just think it's the other person's problem and turn the other cheek while steadfastly refusing to change their views and beliefs when they are attacked for being who they are. The gay community in places like the USA need learn to do the same to a certain degree.

Yes, there is work to be done before we have exactly equal rights, but we are still far better off in western nations than those suffering under Sharia law. Its time we in the gay community learned from the catholics and started counting our blessings rather than bemoaning what we are denied.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Dear markosity1973,

Thank you, excellent response. We can build from that.

Catholics just think it's the other person's problem and turn the other cheek while steadfastly refusing to change their views and beliefs when they are attacked for being who they are. The gay community in places like the USA need learn to do the same to a certain degree.

I wonder if this might be our starting point. My initial impressions are that I think you've got a great idea, how do we get it across, and could you clarify "To a certain degree?" (Please excuse the grammar. It's 3 a.m. here and my eyes are pretty blurry. So is my brain.)

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952
a reply to: markosity1973

Dear markosity1973,

Thank you, excellent response. We can build from that.

I wonder if this might be our starting point. My initial impressions are that I think you've got a great idea, how do we get it across, and could you clarify "To a certain degree?" (Please excuse the grammar. It's 3 a.m. here and my eyes are pretty blurry. So is my brain.)

With respect,
Charles1952

No worries

By certain degree I am trying to bridge the gap by not sounding like a sell out to the gay community while still reaching out to wider society.

I mean in cases like this, get the word out so gay people know to boycott venues that are unwelcoming but not go stupid. We need to learn that a certain amount of stupid behaviour will always exist and as long as it's isolated then the best thing to do is 'keep calm and carry on' as the british would say.
edit on 30-5-2014 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Ive got to admit, im a little bewildered by this one.

When i used to go out with my ex there would be a little leg touching under the table. Hell, there would be touching of hands while we waited for what we had ordered. Funny thing is, if i saw a straight couple acting the same way, i would get up, put on my big girl pants and think absolutely nothing of it.

Cant actually believe people are arguing over this. If i was asked to leave a restaurant because i was holding my date's hand and caressing her leg with mine under the table, i'd refuse. Its not like im necking the girl.

Lover's touch each other outside of their own personal space - Get over it.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   
a reply to: AK907ICECOLD

Are you talking to me, regarding my reply to you?

If so, I have no idea what you meant, hence my question.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo
Big Earl says blacks, hispanics and homosexuals are all welcome to eat there saying the public display of affection "rubbing legs together" got them banned.

This is misleading. The couple was banned because of their behavior, not their preferences. Any business has a right to refuse service to people that can't behave decently in public. I'd bet money this couple saw the sign, or heard about the place, and decided to go in and deliberately cause trouble, so they could claim it was discrimination.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: abeverage

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: alienjuggalo

The bible is the problem imo. It tells him how to live his life and he can not go against that

Actually the Bible is very clear on how you treat others in sin and that you are to be respectful of them, judging not them nor their sin least you be judged as well. Using the bible as an excuse for bigotry is all this is.

That isn't really accurate, though it is a common misconception, and one that some Christians share with you.

Does the Bible really say we’re not to judge?

I could list why, but the article linked does a good job of that.

In this case, the behavior is the issue, and business owners have every right to expect people not to behave indecently in their business. For the couple to be banned, it is very likely they did something pretty inappropriate. Texas, despite what some anti-Texas, anti-South bigots might claim, isn't some backwater. It's pretty normal. Spent many years there.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join