It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LRS-B (new stealth bomber) speculation

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: mindseye1609

The problem with that concept is that the missile trucks are vulnerable. With the new missiles coming out they wouldn't stand a chance in even a medium threat environment. We'd need a totally new stealthy platform for it.

Mind you they'd make a hell of a missile truck and it would be interesting to see. But the entire legacy fleet is vulnerable to new weapons.

ya I'm just using the b1b and the b2 as an example of something in the current fleet with this burgeoning capability. i cant see why any new top tier bombers wouldnt have the networking capabilities as the b1b and spirit have. IMO keeping the big expensive boys as far away as possible is a good thing.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I've always pictured the aurora as a super high altitude bomber platform after reading up on all its "supposed" capabilities. idk whats real and not about that project but as soon as i found out about the networking with the b1b and the f22's and whatnot i had the thought "being able to park your bomber in the upper atmosphere would provide lots of protection" like the air forces space plane almost. a super high altitude "missile truck" so to say.

whats the height on these new missiles? can we reach the atmosphere with smaller missiles yet?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   

No reason why not. The carrier aircraft climbs as high as it can before launching a salvo. That's how they used to try to intercept the Blackbird.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

No reason why not. The carrier aircraft climbs as high as it can before launching a salvo. That's how they used to try to intercept the Blackbird.

ooooo gotcha not like a Surface to air but an air to air. ya that would help alot.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

There are a couple new air to air missiles coming out that in realistic Sims, and being extremely strict with their capabilities, they still have the potential to devastate the legacy fleet of aircraft without even breaking a sweat.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
How it can be more stealth than a B-2? yes a super high altitude bomber can avoid a great number of ground/air missile the current capacity of a lot of missile is 70000 feet max, realy difficult to shoot a maneuver plane in this altitude. What is intersting in the news is the "demonstrator" surely something flying since many years
In your opinion ZAph what type of concept could be choose in the futur contest for the LRS/B ?
edit on 30-5-2014 by darksidius because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-5-2014 by darksidius because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: darksidius

If the numbers I was given are even close to accurate this will make the F-22 about as stealthy as an F-15 by comparison.

It's almost certainly another flying wing similar to the B-2 but more refined.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: darksidius
I have a lot of question in my mind about this exciting program, what size? what the airframe will look like ( flying wing or more like a big F-35?) will it be a fast airplane or not ?what are the mature technology on it ? and what is more exotic ? for now little response on it . The guy's who see a demonstrator of IT are realy Lucky
pffff realy so long waiting for the others

The demonstrator was the size of a large fighter. And it was a flying wing with some differences from the B-2. I doubt it will be supersonic as its stealth almost certainly won't need speed. Its supposedly way stealthier than the B-2. They can do this not only with shape and ram, but other electrical systems as well. As for specific technologies, I don't know. I was just told to refuel it. Lol. Its one of three demonstrators I saw in the air over the range in my career.

P.S. Theres a pic of the YF-24 on the internet.....happy hunting!
edit on 30-5-2014 by boomer135 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: boomer135

Check your Email.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Roger...checking

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Seriously?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: boomer135

That's what I was told recently.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
So...

Was I even close to what the LRS-B might be from what lines of research I was putting into the Kansas thread?

It's OK, just build a fire and send me a smoke signal ala "The Two Towers". LOL

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Um, I don't remember.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Bah, it's all good. I found some flying wing diagrams and whatnot...also some supposedly "cancelled" programs. Why couldn't they just tell everyone a project is cancelled and keep working on it anyway?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

They do it a lot. Or they cancel it and build an offshoot.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Well, if this is a LRS-B and it's more stealthy than the B-2 without using better RAM and shape ... Could they be using some kind of ionizing/plasma technology? I read somewhere that the Russians were working on some kind of plasma stealth, but it didn't seem to pan out as expected. Perhaps our boys have had a breakthrough?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: boomer135
P.S. Theres a pic of the YF-24 on the internet.....happy hunting!

Are you serious? An actual photo, or more like a computer render or concept drawing?

Can it be found using a regular search engine or does it require more effort than that?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Awesome thread Del, SnF and thanks for posting. And as Bass said, between you Zaph, Boomer, and Samm, it always makes for an an interesting and well informed read. Thanks to all :-D

Oh, and TGIF! :-D

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: boomer135

Seriously?

Oh come on, you guys are keeping secrets. No fair! LOL

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join