It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most of us are programmed. And don't realize it.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I see adds for ammunition, and I think, I don't have enough. I need more.

We see news that they want to take our guns, so we think, I need to buy some more before I can't.

I say we, but I mean I. I hadn't realized it, but it just kind of hit me. I was thinking of that movie "conspiracy Theory" . I don't feel the need to go buy "catcher in the rye", but it's not far off.

The big question, is that what's supposed to happen? Am I falling for the tricks?
edit on 29-5-2014 by network dude because: it went off prematurely. Sorry honey.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Take your tv out into the yard and set fire to it. Problem solved.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Propaganda works that is all.

The problem is you need to think for yourself, maybe if you analyze what you really need in life and dont fell for the urges you would be ok, for example

I see adds for ammunition, and I think, I don't have enough. I need more.

You should see the add and think do I have enough instead of i dont have enough, enough for what? stop for a sec to think get you a long way.

You will probably end up realizing you dont need more but you want it anyways

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

I blasted my television with a shotgun a couple of years ago. Yeah, I had been drinking, tequila is a hell of a drug, but it turned out to be a good decision. The glass teat will drive you mad. Big Brother doesn't have to watch you as long as you are watching him.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Go ahead and buy your ammunition, they're just going to take it back from you anyways.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Programs are sensory effecting -

If there exist pyramid like social schemes the who sit atop generate the programs below for those @ bottom of pyramid scheme.
Generateed through behavioral trends/movies/music/books & other marketed products sold like phones-tv-clothes-houses and cars or even toys.

Which in turn defines reality for those below...

So yes your op is correct in many ways.

NAMASTE*******

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

The add to my immediate right is what triggered this thread. It's in the computer......they are everywhere!
I don't watch much TV at all.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I definitely agree with the title of this thread. I also agree with the points you brought up in the opening post. Many people are programmed, but in much, much more subtle ways. In america, for example, the sheep are knowingly giving up their rights and freedoms so that others can dominate and control them (ie, the aristocracy), and the americans, they love this. Love it! Same problem can be found in europe, and especially amongst jews (no wonder no other country wanted the jews when Hitler first tried to banish them, much the same way president Jackson did with the Native Americans, who, in case you missed the history lesson, would also systematically slaughter Native Americans, and yet, americans are "programmed" into loving this fool).

Oh, yes, we are all programmed, even I am guilty of it, and anyone who wants to say otherwise is just a fool.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

This. Once you realize what is and isn't important in life, propaganda stops having its effects on you. Another good exercise is to REALLY practice denying ignorance. Do you hear someone making a claim as truth on Facebook? Look it up. Your friend tells you that Obama is a Muslim? Look it up. A news article or news report tells you about some impending doom. Look up its sources.

Someone told me yesterday that he was trying to keep ants out of his place and was placing cucumbers in various places near where they come into the house because he had heard that it keeps them out. Before I exclaimed what a great idea it was, my first thought was, "No way!" So I looked it up. Turns out he was right, apparently ants don't like cucumbers and you can keep them out of your house by putting them around areas they come in. But the point was to not just believe every wild claim you hear.

Once you get practice denying ignorance where ever possible, you will start notice you will start to apply it to things that you always held dear or thought were true yourself. Though the trick is to be able to admit to yourself that you were wrong about something, even if you believed it as true your entire life. Religion, politics, nutrition, conspiracies, and other things. These are all things that a healthy dose of skepticism helps even things out. Eventually, you break the programming and start thinking for yourself. You carefully analyze things before believing and repeating them.

Now I have always been somewhat open minded, rational, and analytical, but even I can recognize that it takes work to get to this level of thinking. So it helps to read up and actually STUDY how to to think critically. Study propaganda techniques, review examples of them being used so you can identify when they are being deployed against you. Study history, many events occurring presently happened before in the past. The saying history repeats itself exists for a reason. Practice reading between the lines of news report. If you can determine that a story that you agree with is sensationalized without any help then you are on the right track. But that last bit is EXTREMELY hard to do because people don't like to admit when they are wrong and like agreeing with things that support their opinions.
edit on 29-5-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

I was just thinking of how damn effective the whole marketing thing really is.

But then got confused at the gun grab stuff. Was the intention to get us all to buy up more guns to begin with? I thought that was the opposite goal.

Look at the surge of folks buying AR-15s. Most who just bought them didn't have a real want for them until they were threatened with the possibility of not being able to get one.

Perhaps I am just playing into the paranoia a bit too much. Must be lack of beer.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
a reply to: VoidHawk

I blasted my television with a shotgun a couple of years ago. Yeah, I had been drinking, tequila is a hell of a drug, but it turned out to be a good decision. The glass teat will drive you mad. Big Brother doesn't have to watch you as long as you are watching him.

Thats the way dude

The glass teat will drive you mad.
And now that teat covers an entire wall in 99% of homes.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Bingo! As part of my degree, I had to take marketing and was actually told that I should switched since I aced the class. That'll be a cold day in hell though before I do anything that I perceive to be patently unethical.

Marketing actually uses psychological principles in order to influence viewers on a variety of levels to basically buy their product. Most ads these days, however, don't really have that much affect because they have already done their thing. When you think "I need laundry detergent", the response is likely to be "I need some more Tide" without any additional exposure to marketing. It's usually new product lines that need the psychological nudging. In a sense, it is brainwashing for the purpose of consumption.

You think you guys have it bad? Open up a woman's magazine sometime. You'll see frequently photoshopped ads where the women have impossibly (no, really--it is impossible!) flawless skin though they've gotten a little smarter and left in a few natural wrinkles here and there. Perfect straight white teeth. Super skin. Super hair. Bodies modified and more. It's not all just to make the models for the product seem attractive. It also has a secondary effect of making the woman viewing these things feel inferior so that when they go into that department store to check out that new facial lotion, the women at the counters have an easier time trying to tack in additional products.

I had Business Ethics (yes, the subject does exist though it seems like an oxymoron) prof that brought this very subject up in class. She was in her late 60's and had spent her life feeling like nothing was wrong with her teeth. However, she kept seeing these impossibly white perfect teeth everywhere and one day, she looked in the mirror, smiled and was most unhappy. Her teeth weren't that white. She felt bad, really bad, about that way her teeth looked when she smiled because she'd been seeing so many perfect white teeth everywhere. She went over 60 years never being unhappy with her teeth until they started doing that. She actually went to a dentist and he said "cap them all" to get that perfect white smile that she coveted so much. About $20 to 30k in dental work. She snapped out of it but you know what? She was still unhappy and didn't smile as much anymore because she didn't have those perfect white teeth.

Her story actually prompted me to do a little experiment. I actually have really great skin--I'm notorious for it. Super skin. So I was curious--what would they do when somebody whose skin was so good that they didn't need any form of cover up walked into a skincare department? So off I went to the Origins section of my local Macy's. The sales woman found so much "wrong" with my skin that she tried convincing me that I needed over $150 in products. She used magnifying mirrors to point out flaws that wouldn't even be visible to the naked eye. The funniest part of my experiment? Even though I knew full well what she was going to do and my education in marketing, I still walked out of the store with a $40 bottle of face scrub! LOL

Marketing can have a really noxious effect on one's self esteem. You get bombarded by images of better, stronger, faster, shinier, more perfect--over and over again. It makes you unhappy. I was on the fence about television until I took marketing. After I took marketing, I discontinued my cable and unsubscribed from all magazines. Zero exposure for me and my kids and we're a whole lot happier for it. I heavily suggest that others do the same.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteAlice

Bingo! As part of my degree, I had to take marketing and was actually told that I should switched since I aced the class. That'll be a cold day in hell though before I do anything that I perceive to be patently unethical.

Marketing actually uses psychological principles in order to influence viewers on a variety of levels to basically buy their product. Most ads these days, however, don't really have that much affect because they have already done their thing. When you think "I need laundry detergent", the response is likely to be "I need some more Tide" without any additional exposure to marketing. It's usually new product lines that need the psychological nudging. In a sense, it is brainwashing for the purpose of consumption.

You think you guys have it bad? Open up a woman's magazine sometime. You'll see frequently photoshopped ads where the women have impossibly (no, really--it is impossible!) flawless skin though they've gotten a little smarter and left in a few natural wrinkles here and there. Perfect straight white teeth. Super skin. Super hair. Bodies modified and more. It's not all just to make the models for the product seem attractive. It also has a secondary effect of making the woman viewing these things feel inferior so that when they go into that department store to check out that new facial lotion, the women at the counters have an easier time trying to tack in additional products.

I had Business Ethics (yes, the subject does exist though it seems like an oxymoron) prof that brought this very subject up in class. She was in her late 60's and had spent her life feeling like nothing was wrong with her teeth. However, she kept seeing these impossibly white perfect teeth everywhere and one day, she looked in the mirror, smiled and was most unhappy. Her teeth weren't that white. She felt bad, really bad, about that way her teeth looked when she smiled because she'd been seeing so many perfect white teeth everywhere. She went over 60 years never being unhappy with her teeth until they started doing that. She actually went to a dentist and he said "cap them all" to get that perfect white smile that she coveted so much. About $20 to 30k in dental work. She snapped out of it but you know what? She was still unhappy and didn't smile as much anymore because she didn't have those perfect white teeth.

Her story actually prompted me to do a little experiment. I actually have really great skin--I'm notorious for it. Super skin. So I was curious--what would they do when somebody whose skin was so good that they didn't need any form of cover up walked into a skincare department? So off I went to the Origins section of my local Macy's. The sales woman found so much "wrong" with my skin that she tried convincing me that I needed over $150 in products. She used magnifying mirrors to point out flaws that wouldn't even be visible to the naked eye. The funniest part of my experiment? Even though I knew full well what she was going to do and my education in marketing, I still walked out of the store with a $40 bottle of face scrub! LOL

Marketing can have a really noxious effect on one's self esteem. You get bombarded by images of better, stronger, faster, shinier, more perfect--over and over again. It makes you unhappy. I was on the fence about television until I took marketing. After I took marketing, I discontinued my cable and unsubscribed from all magazines. Zero exposure for me and my kids and we're a whole lot happier for it. I heavily suggest that others do the same.

Great experiment, and you still bought a bottle of scrub LOL

I often wonder just how we'd perceive ourselves if we were never exposed to ANY ads at all! Take those young girls that suffer from anorexia for example, when they look in a mirror they truly see an overweight person, and yet we all know they're just skin and bone. Maybe they are the extreme, but they prove that we see what we're programmed to see; rather than what is real.
I wonder what the world would be like if for an entire generation advertising for beauty products were completely removed from our lives?

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
We have been programmed from the get go in this nation. You think he founding fathers wanted complete freedom and equality for everyone? You think that America was ever truly a place of freedom (opportunity, yeah)? You think all this distinctly and uniquely "American" values and traits such as hard work, industry, freedom, and individualism, are really all distinctly and uniquely American? Like no other nations before it's inception had freedom for it's people, worked hard daily, didn't have a booming, effective economical framework and enjoyed being themselves without fear of repercussion?

Nope. This countries citizens may have been distracted with what seemed to be freedom, liberty and pursuit of happiness, but behind he curtains, were controlled, our minds molded. Today's problems of a tyrannical government did not just suddenly pop up with the Obama administration, as most people seem to believe. Thus was a planned, gradual, steady progression towards the point we are at, and it has been the intention since America was called America. The laws, statutes, and policies that governed this society has moved along a constant, non-alternating angle, stacking on more conditions, laws, fees, punishments and penalty's, at an even pace, and the generations have not noticed. That is why have most people with "this is not the America i used to know". Hah. Yes it is, it's just the mad foolery you see in your face now, was not so obvious because it was not implemented so obviously, and not so liberally.

"The American way". Please tell me what the hell is this? Hard work don't count; we are the first nation to labor several hours a day, and reap rewards form it?. Freedom. How? When you had certain races killed of and their land snatched, or others forced to work on plantations, and when not forced to work on plantations, are sectioned off into the inner city's where when they do try to support themselves, another more secret form of slavery is instituted through government regulation and dismantling of every facet of their people's society? Freedom how, when you go trampling on sovereign nation not long after your own acquisition of freedom, and take their land as your own? Or when the government placed eugenicists at the forefront of science, and dictated which race was worthy, and which was not?

We have been programmed form the start, and it is still apparent, even in the people who are awake, and see's what the government is doing.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
We are all programmed to some extent. You wouldn't be able to coöperate in a society if you weren't. The thing is to consciously choose which programming is desired and helpful, and which not. Then try to change the programming as far as your biology allows.
edit on 29-5-2014 by Richardus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I am only interested in people who can self program, not people who still need to be convinced that programming is real. The OP seems to be in the first camp. Some quite well structured and nuanced thoughts in the Opening Post.

Mike Grouchy
edit on 30-5-2014 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I'm surprised the writings of Ludwig von Mises have not been brought up. He is pretty much the father of modern propaganda.
" The consumer is not omniscient. He does not know where he can obtain at the cheapest price what he is looking for. Very often he does not even know what kind of commodity or service is suitable to remove most efficaciously the particular uneasiness he wants to remove. At best he is familiar with the market conditions of the immediate past and arranges his plans on the basis of this information. To convey to him information about the actual state of the market is the task of business propaganda.

Business propaganda must be obtrusive and blatant. It is its aim to attract the attention of slow people, to rouse latent wishes, to entice men to substitute innovation for inert clinging to traditional routine. In order to succeed, advertising must be adjusted to the mentality of the people courted. It must suit their tastes and speak their idiom. Advertising is shrill, noisy, coarse, puffing, because the public does not react to dignified allusions. It is the bad taste of the public that forces the advertisers to display bad taste in their publicity campaigns. The art of advertising has evolved into a branch of applied psychology, a sister discipline of pedagogy."

mises.org...
edit on 30-5-2014 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
you are programmed (and notice how they even call it "television programming"). your hypnosis is so complete you can be told you're under it and not escape it. that is black magic. here, i'll make an attempt at white magic. to point the way out of the maze, as i have traveled and come to grasp all of their works. your hypnosis begins with "reason". what is "reason", but reasons? when i say reason, i am referring to word-based thinking or decision making. i remember being a child, and being shocked to learn that those around me were thinking with words and sentences in their minds. "no wonder", i realized, "that is why they are limited." whereas i had been getting all of my answers (being recognized as a genius) from silence. from the unconscious, not the conscious thought. i saw that when i was thinking, and pursuing an answer, i understood the answer before the words that followed to present it. that is the deceiver. nothing but words/graven images. so i saw the man who uses reason is bound by it. he can only ask the questions he knows to ask. and he can only form the questions with the words he knows. the value of particular words and the inclination to choose those words when thinking (by associations) can be influenced as well. language, if used to reason with, makes the mind like a computer's operating system. that is his conscious thoughts. he still has an unconscious he can tap, for greater insights. like choosing uranus, or chaos, over saturn, i'd say, in astrological terms. this "reason" is inflicted, unknowingly, by the parent. with the ritualistic teaching of words, of a language that has been designed and controlled by a stranger. doesn't it seem like hypnosis when a parent holds an object in front of a baby's face, repeating the word that he is to attach to it over and over? along with language, comes rituals and routines that subvert instinct. to clean certain parts of the head and body in certain ways, in routine. to eat and sleep in routine. things that should be born of the self, not imposed. "they" say no two snow-flakes are alike, yet psychology, religion, and the occult tell you all men are the same. they want a "universe", or "one verse". but i say all men are different. beyond what you can comprehend. to say otherwise is to indulge the arrogance of the world, that takes it upon itself to judge and punish men using language-based reason. these are the greater criminals on the land. some children, seem to resist the imposition of reason upon them. these children may be those who are called autistic. who are thought wrong only because they cannot fit into the box. some become "schizophrenic", which is a rather sinister diagnosis within the corrupt practice of psychology, seeing as all man has been separated from reality by symbols. those who hear voices, have a mind that refuses to mistake the inner-voice for his own. those who have an inner-dialogue, have frightfully, mistaken it for their own. this is the result of reason, and knowledge/graven images/names for things that must be remembered. do not build your self-id of it, or any other foundation. for you would be naive to trust that those strangers who made your language and world and doctrines did not have ill-intentions; that they did not leave out words for things; and didn't create names for things that don't exist. would a man naturally come up with words/concepts such as "god", "disease", "suffering", "fear", and so forth? perhaps this is why men such as francis bacon are so celebrated in the occult. he contributed much to the control of men.
if men wish to be free of suffering they must stop feeding the world and the babble. do not reduce your self or your brothers to words. do not enforce the laws and taboos of language, which serves the purpose of robbing men of their ability to speak honestly, as well as reinforcing the power of words. that is how magic is made powerful. today a single "word" can send a man to fight, or even crush a man, if he allows himself be vulnerable. words which are of the breath and the air, which needn't be perceived at all, which are inherently meaningless. that, is insanity.

you may say "this is an argument" or "that's an opinion", but in essence i am saying that opinions and arguments are invalid in the first place. you cannot make symbols of reality, then make formulas based on those symbols, and call it reality. that, is the bottom of the rabbit hole.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   

It was neither. It was to rally a voter base. Politics+Corporation at work. What corporation wouldn't love the opportunity to spark a run on their product?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

No other words..... no other words...

Stars for you!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join