It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stratified rock

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I'm just curious at to how the proponents of a 6,000 year old earth reconcile stratified rock formations?
edit on 28-5-2014 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Well, I guess they would just say that god willed it to be that way with his words.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
And placed the fossils in there with them I presume?

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: XxRagingxPandaxX

Wasn't that Satan's work? ...

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The strata were obviously laid down one-by-one in five minute intervals during the day that God created Earth, with all kinds of junk from Her basement thrown in there so people could scrounge around and enjoy the oddities.
edit on 28-5-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Or explain the Hawaiian volcanic chain of islands.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I guess that is what they would say...

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I'm really curious as to how a true believer in a 6 thousand year old earth reconciles contemporary geology. Iv heard of the satan counter argument. Not exactly convincing, as god made the earth. Not satan. Scripture does not say that satan is responsible for the earth's Genisis.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

As a Christian, I would also like to hear from young earthers on this subject. I hope this thread doesn't degenerate into a Christian bashing extravaganza, because I genuinely want to know how young earth creationists can reconcile their beliefs with modern geology.

And no, "There is a conspiracy among scientists" isn't going to cut it.
edit on 28-5-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

As a Christian myself I hold that same curiosity.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
From what i hear Lucifer is god of earth. Which makes sense since it seems we live hellish times.

But there is a possibility that we are a running simulation and could be one of many, the original code aka the earth and universe would kind of be like standard template that all simulations are run off. This template would pretty much be a exact copy of the real earth, but our simulation programers AKA god, have only been running the sim for a perceived 6000 years or so. even though the original template is based on facts that stretch through the fabric of time and space but our creation started 6000 years ago.

If religions are a construct programed into this sim than it would make sense that religions would have ties to the beginning of the simulation , 6000 years ago. So real earth template with fossil records and such mixed with a simulation, creates confusion and critical thinking which could be designed specifically to create some sort of Randomness AI type algorithm

i dont know what to think about this theory i can not speak for it or against it, it kind of just came off the top of my head based on some videos i have seen(nicoteen patches and late night you tube videos make for some weird dreams

edit on 28-5-2014 by DocMartigann because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-5-2014 by DocMartigann because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I'm surprised all the crackerjack ATS research experts couldn't readily find the answer to this. I'm not sure you really wanted to because it's a whole lot cooler if you sit around like a pack of wolves to wait for the deer to show up so you can ask him what's for dinner. I'd be surprised if a bona fide 'young earther' would take the bait. Since I am not, nor am I a Christian, I'll attempt it just for "Ss & Gs"

The answer isn't all that complex and relies on three, sometimes four, basic themes. It's worth noting that how they got to 6,000 years is largely, if not exclusively, through genealogies. Though they claim the date is, therefore, derived from the Bible, the Bible itself claims no such thing. People have interpreted the genealogies, such as Arch Bishop James Ussher of Armagh, Ireland, to come up with 4004 BC as THE date, though there have been over a hundred attempts, more or less coming up within a couple of hundred years of each other. Some have refined Ussher's date to October 23rd at 9:00 in the morning (though who knows about Daylight Savings Time back then) and others have said, no, no, it was 4045 BC and Ussher was WAY off!

Theme One: And that's the basis of the first theme. They pay attention to "God's Word" (in the Bible), not the fallacy of "Man's Word," which ironically, is actually the source of the dates. But the basic idea is, "Read the Bible, not that other stuff."

Theme Two: The second issue is related, and that is that all our dating schemes, from Carbon-14 to Potassium Argon, are all wrong and vastly inflated. They point to various alleged fallacies in dating, particularly in the early stages when the methods were not as refined as they are today, but the basic idea is that all the dating methods are wrong and can be summarily dismissed as false.

Theme Three: Noah's Flood screwed up all the sediments. Because the flood was so destructive, it sluiced up all the sedimentary layers deposited over the couple thousand years deposited between Creation and the Flood, and re-deposited them in a jumble, one on the top of the other, resulting in a lot more strata than were there originally, so it appears as if there are more years represented than actually are.

Theme Four: This one is optional and not always present, but it covers the dinosaurs, too. the Dinos and the sediments are all a test of faith from God. They were put there intentionally, by God, to see whether you were really paying attention to God's Word and what he said, or whether you would succumb to temptation and misinterpret what he put there for you to find.

I think you will find that these four basic ideas about cover it. There's a lot more detail, of course, covering what Prelate figured out what date, and a lot more about falsified dates posed by scientists and/or Satan.
edit on 5/28/2014 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I'm surprised all the crackerjack ATS research experts couldn't readily find the answer to this. I'm not sure you really wanted to because it's a whole lot cooler if you sit around like a pack of wolves to wait for the deer to show up so you can ask him what's for dinner. I'd be surprised if a bona fide 'young earther' would take the bait. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I can't speak for the OP, but I want to hear from young earthers on the subject because of a genuine desire for dialog and understanding. I've read about all of the issues you raised in your reply, but I guess I was wondering if young earthers had shifted positions or come up with any new ideas to shoehorn their version of history into reality. But let's take a look at some of these in an effort to get some dialog going. Hopefully some young earthers will chime in:

Theme One: And that's the basis of the first theme. They pay attention to "God's Word" (in the Bible), not the fallacy of "Man's Word," which ironically, is actually the source of the dates. But the basic idea is, "Read the Bible, not that other stuff." - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not even sure how any Christian could claim this, since it's like saying we should ignore modern science and let our kids die of preventable diseases because the bible doesn't say anything about microbiology. The bible states quite clearly that wisdom and knowledge are to be treasured, and not avoided to fit one's own paradigm.

Theme Two: The second issue is related, and that is that all our dating schemes, from Carbon-14 to Potassium Argon, are all wrong and vastly inflated. They point to various alleged fallacies in dating, particularly in the early stages when the methods were not as refined as they are today, but the basic idea is that all the dating methods are wrong and can be summarily dismissed as false. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Where is the proof for this? Carbon dating certainly has it's issues, but it isn't the be all end all to dating the age of the earth. We can count the rings of trees which also indicate the earth is older than 6000 years in age, or look at sedimentary layers. Combine these various findings with other branches of science (like cosmology) and we have an overwhelming abundance of evidence for an ancient earth. Dinosaur fossils alone speak volumes.

Theme Three: Noah's Flood screwed up all the sediments. Because the flood was so destructive, it sluiced up all the sedimentary layers deposited over the couple thousand years deposited between Creation and the Flood, and re-deposited them in a jumble, one on the top of the other, resulting in a lot more strata than were there originally, so it appears as if there are more years represented than actually are. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

This one is really curious to me, and I'd like to hear from a young earther regarding this theory. If the idea is that Noah's flood created havoc with sedimentary layers, wouldn't we expect to see one big sedimentary layer from the flood period, instead of many layers? What is the theory here, and how can young earthers reconcile it with what we know about geology?

Discarding ALL of the mountains of evidence we have against a global flood (i.e covering the entire face of the planet), and assuming it DID happen, why do we see many layers instead of just one, for an event that the bible reports was incredibly cataclysmic and happened over the course of 40 days and nights (or 120 depending on who you ask)?

Theme Four: This one is optional and not always present, but it covers the dinosaurs, too. the Dinos and the sediments are all a test of faith from God. They were put there intentionally, by God, to see whether you were really paying attention to God's Word and what he said, or whether you would succumb to temptation and misinterpret what he put there for you to find. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is just ridiculous. How do young earthers reconcile this idea with the fact that there are devoted and loving Christians that are also scientists and don't believe the earth is only 6000 years old? Did they fail the test? How can anyone claim it's all just a test when we have ruins built by human hands that you can walk up to see for yourself that date to long before 4000 bc?

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSeraph

I can't speak for the OP, but I want to hear from young earthers on the subject because of a genuine desire for dialog and understanding.

+ Not even sure how any Christian could claim this, since it's like saying we should ignore modern science and let our kids die of preventable diseases because the bible doesn't say anything about microbiology.

+ Where is the proof for this? ...we have an overwhelming abundance of evidence for an ancient earth. Dinosaur fossils alone speak volumes.

+ If the idea is that Noah's flood created havoc with sedimentary layers, wouldn't we expect to see one big sedimentary layer from the flood period, instead of many layers? What is the theory here, and how can young earthers reconcile it with what we know about geology?

+ This is just ridiculous. How do young earthers reconcile this idea with the fact that there are devoted and loving Christians that are also scientists and don't believe the earth is only 6000 years old?

Well, sir. I know you're not arguing with me because I do not support these points myself and have so-stated. I only hope I have not misrepresented them, but I am curious how you think the points you made above, and the way you made them, will promote "genuine dialog and understanding." Everyone here, including yourself, started out with a single-sentence "I really want to understand" post. Now anyone with half a brain can see through that and realize this is really the wolves gathering around waiting for the deer to appear. And you just proved that by creating a hostile environment, calling the ideas "ridiculous" and telling us all about your bold-faced "facts." If there was any doubt before, it's gone now. That deer is in the next county by now because "this is just ridiculous."

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: DeadSeraph

I can't speak for the OP, but I want to hear from young earthers on the subject because of a genuine desire for dialog and understanding.

+ Not even sure how any Christian could claim this, since it's like saying we should ignore modern science and let our kids die of preventable diseases because the bible doesn't say anything about microbiology.

+ Where is the proof for this? ...we have an overwhelming abundance of evidence for an ancient earth. Dinosaur fossils alone speak volumes.

+ If the idea is that Noah's flood created havoc with sedimentary layers, wouldn't we expect to see one big sedimentary layer from the flood period, instead of many layers? What is the theory here, and how can young earthers reconcile it with what we know about geology?

+ This is just ridiculous. How do young earthers reconcile this idea with the fact that there are devoted and loving Christians that are also scientists and don't believe the earth is only 6000 years old?

Well, sir. I know you're not arguing with me because I do not support these points myself and have so-stated. I only hope I have not misrepresented them, but I am curious how you think the points you made above, and the way you made them, will promote "genuine dialog and understanding." Everyone here, including yourself, started out with a single-sentence "I really want to understand" post. Now anyone with half a brain can see through that and realize this is really the wolves gathering around waiting for the deer to appear. And you just proved that by creating a hostile environment, calling the ideas "ridiculous" and telling us all about your bold-faced "facts." If there was any doubt before, it's gone now. That deer is in the next county by now because "this is just ridiculous."

Then they obviously don't feel very strongly about their convictions if they aren't bold enough to defend them. I have been in many threads arguing for a historical Jesus while being surrounded by a lot of members hostile to that idea. I didn't run from the debate because the table was already set.

I'm not sure how you would suggest this issue be tackled in the first place? It's not like the OP came out and denounced all young earth creationists as morons. He/she simply asked how they reconcile their beliefs with what we know about geology.

As a former young earth creationist myself, I think I have a unique enough perspective to say that my desire for dialog is in fact genuine, despite how you might have interpreted my responses to the points you mentioned above.

edit on 28-5-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Or the ice canopy theory that fits nicely with the new electric universe revelations of late.a reply to: schuyler

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
it's interesting how there were a bunch of threads recently about creationists trying to "lure in" evolutionists with the information they find factual yet when an evolutionist does it, the creationists (young earth) people don't come around.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I always thought "young earthers" were the ones that literally took the age of mankind from Adam to now, which biblically is 6k years give or take, and threw out the notion that a day to GOD could equivocally be billions of earth years .....especially since in the beginning there was no earth for any of our "years" or "days" to exist in earth time scale yet.

One of Gods "days" was aquatic life, followed by air and land life on other "days". The bible clearly leaves room for strata, but your question is like asking preschoolers to interpret the bible for you, just so you can laugh at them.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP
You would be right in the assumption that they take the biblical texts literally and I didn't quite grasp the second clause. Were you likening "New Earthers" to preschoolers?

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: XxRagingxPandaxX
a reply to: TinfoilTP
You would be right in the assumption that they take the biblical texts literally and I didn't quite grasp the second clause. Were you likening "New Earthers" to preschoolers?

I made more than one point in second clause.....
the bible leaves room for strata
and "young earthers" were indeed compared to preschoolers

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join