It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cracked: 5 Human Flaws That Prevent Progress and Keep Us Dumb

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I largely agree with this.
Thoughts?
Anything to add?

www.cracked.com...

Look, we all have the same dream: building giant spaceships and living out among the stars, playing zero-gravity beer pong until the universe ends. It's not gonna be easy. It's gonna take a bunch of risks and hard work. But once we're out there, drunkenly giggling as our friends try to vomit into a zero-G toilet, we'll know it was worth it. The problem is that we've erected all these barriers between ourselves and new ideas, so anytime someone tosses a ping-pong ball of knowledge at the floating beer-sphere that is our brain, we open our mouths and spit out a bunch of confused chimpanzees, frantically batting the ideas away and squeaking like a bunch of lunatics.

1. Assuming It's All About Us
  2. Looking for a Bad Guy (When There Isn't One)
  3. Finding One Irrelevant Flaw and Dismissing the Whole Thing
  4. Arguing on the Internet
  5. Thinking That Human Nature Is Easier to Change Than Anything Else

Explanations at link.
edit on 28-5-2014 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
And the worst part is, we actually take ourselves way too seriously at the same time.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I'm still working on that image of someone puking into a zero g toilet. Gives new meaning to that old toast "here's mud in your eye"
What ever that means. reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Apparently, it's a biblical in origin.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
6. Thinking that anything which deviates from our own personal interests, beliefs or standards is bad or wrong.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Those flaws are flawed.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

Humanity is fundamentally flawed, its true. And there is essentially nothing that can be done about it on any scale larger than the individual. While the individual can quite aptly "transcend" their basic programming, and rise above the inherent flaws of the human model, truly becoming something that isnt human, but better, it will always be a tiny minority that choose to do so.

It wont happen on a large scale like people hope it might, with some kind of mass "awakening". While we are all most certainly connected, we are also equally independent. Connected, we manifest the external reality as a reflection of our collective interiors. Individually, we decide what precisely we will manifest within ourselves, and as individuals, thats all we can do. So while people hope some great external force will wash over the planet and open the eyes of the sleeping... it never will, because it doesnt work like that.

The only force that can open the eyes of the individual is an internal one; its the individual themselves who must will that force to be.

edit on 5/28/2014 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Flaws are to be found everywhere.
It's all just a question as to how you look at it.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Arguing on the internet is bad? I disagree with that! Where else are you going to learn about strawman and ad hominem and things like that?

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

Gave me a chuckle and I pretty much agree with those 5. The arguing on the internet one, though, is subjective as it depends on the quality of the argument. If you have two people arguing two oppositional points with some degree of objectivity and preference for evidence, then that has value. If you're watching two idiots basically throw slurs at each other and committing fallacy after fallacy, then that's pointless.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

Cracked is very good for that.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Flaws are to be found everywhere.
It's all just a question as to how you look at it.

exactly

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Cracked forgot to include religion.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I have a better one:

Question: What would be the hardest thing to explain to people in the 1850's about life in the 20th century?

Answer: I have a device in my pocket which is capable of accessing all information known to mankind. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers on the internet.

edit on 28-5-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikeone718
Cracked forgot to include religion.

Did you miss number 2?

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Humans even making it out into Space would in itself create even more of the mess we are even in now. Even by pure chance; if allowed we end up flying to the Stars someday. Who's going to allow it to happen?

Until we get it together as a whole, really do see it being a much bigger mess down the road. Not until the I actually Dies and the We can do this idea happens. It might happen someday, if Allowed.

All we hear is How much More Stuff we can use if Man makes it to Space. Never do you hear anything about Making things right on Earth so might as well consider it a lost cause for now. Thats the only Flaw I know of that matters, yet it is taught to us everyday.

You see a bum, in your mind already it's a lazy person. See someone broke and out on the streets, mind already comes up with, should have planned it out better. Who really even ask's anyone down and out what actually Happened? It is already rated by what you see and watch by programming so you never question the real cause.

Only their's a fix for all nowadays, Pills! Another Flaw so Happening Today, gotta Love them Cartoons on them Pill Ad's! Sorry if I got off track. Would hate to be having a Hangover while in Space!

That would be the worst Spinning Ever!

Peace

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
People tend to fault in other what they fault In themselves... Nobody's perfect believing you're is a serious set back, be open and understanding to all

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: mikeone718

Maybe because blaming religion is stupid?
Thank you for your illustration of number two.
edit on 28-5-2014 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows
a reply to: mikeone718

Maybe because blaming religion is stupid?
Thank you for your illustration of number two.

Blaming religion is stupid. It is not the tool at fault, but the mind that wields it. Else the tool would be left where it was dropped after first being discovered as flawed.
edit on 29-5-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

It always mildly perplexes me that certain otherwise intelligent individuals so often do it.
Loudly at that.
It's almost like they are attributing magical qualities and an ability for independent action to religion......
After all, if it's man made, which as atheists myself and they can agree upon.
Wouldn't it naturally follow the problem exists with the people using religion as an excuse?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join