It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scram jet combined with aerospike/ ramjet.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   
The scramjet neads very high velocities for it to even start working which is why a rocket is normally used on the experimental versions but i was thinking of the possibility of a hybrid engine that incorporates both aerospike (to get to scramjet ignition) then the engine could go into scramjet operation propelling the craft to mach 10 or above. Dont get me wrong, i know it is no easy task to develop this kind of engine but with considerable effort i believe it could be done and it could bring a whole new dimension to aerospace design. NOTE this engine is not designed for orbit, only very high altitude unless enough speed can be attained to simply coast into space without carrying the fuel source (ie oxygen).

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   
You dont hink that every space agency, private aerospace company, and government agency is not working towards this? The X-43 was just a prototype and is one aspect that companies are working toward.

Besides there are unconfirmed reports that the USAF already has many of these engines flying in a plane.....

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Yes i am aware that people are working on this and similiar ideas but it just seems to be taking ages and i am not a very patient person
esp when the aurora exists but the public cant see,use or even have true knowledge of its existence

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   
After the recent and final successful test flight of the X-43 scramjet one of the project engineers mentioned that the next step would be a hybrid.Speed costs money....money......money.

top topics

join