It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Film Critic Blames California Shooting On White Male Hollywood (and Seth Rogen)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Washington Post film critic, Ann Hornaday, has literally blamed Seth Rogen for the recent California shooting. WOW ... this Ann Hornaday is absurd. She says movies like 'Neighbors' are pushing young adult men to the point of mass murder because they cant 'get some' like the guys in the movies. She also says this shooting mirrors the sexist image presented in movies. I say, this shooting is a result of a mental health issue that went undiagnosed and unresolved.

Washington Post - Ann Hornaday

As Rodger bemoaned his life of “loneliness, rejection and unfulfilled desire” and arrogantly announced that he would now prove his own status as “the true alpha male,” he unwittingly expressed the toxic double helix of insecurity and entitlement that comprises Hollywood’s DNA. For generations, mass entertainment has been overwhelmingly controlled by white men, whose escapist fantasies so often revolve around vigilantism and sexual wish-fulfillment (often, if not always, featuring a steady through-line of casual misogyny). Rodger’s rampage may be a function of his own profound distress, but it also shows how a sexist movie monoculture can be toxic for women and men alike.

How many students watch outsized frat-boy fantasies like “Neighbors” and feel, as Rodger did, unjustly shut out of college life that should be full of “sex and fun and pleasure”? How many men, raised on a steady diet of Judd Apatow comedies in which the shlubby arrested adolescent always gets the girl, find that those happy endings constantly elude them and conclude, “It’s not fair”?

CBS - Film Critic Blames California Shooting On White Male Hollywood

Film director Judd Apatow and actor Seth Rogen both blasted Washington Post film critic Ann Hornaday’s op-ed in which she suggests that Elliot Rodger’s mass killing in Isla Vista, Calif., is tied to white men in Hollywood promoting “escapist fantasies” that “revolve around vigilantism and sexual wish-fulfillment.”

Rogen and Apatow ridiculed the op-ed on Monday via Twitter.

“@AnnHornaday how dare you imply that me getting girls in movies caused a lunatic to go on a rampage,” Rogen tweeted in response, receiving hundreds of re-tweets and favorites. Apatow responded, adding to Rogen’s comments on Twitter: “I find your article horribly insulting and misinformed.” “She uses tragedy to promote herself with idiotic thoughts,” Apatow posted.

For those who don't know who Seth Rogen is ... Info Here . He's a Canadian Stand Up Comedian who did a cross over into Hollywood acting and writing. He's probably best known for his roles with James Franco. The two of them did an excellent spoof video of Kardashian/West on the motorcycle .... I thought it was a hoot.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Wait a minute. You mean to tell me that fiction isn't real?

Holy #!!! My mind is blown. All this time I thought everything I ever saw or read was real. Damn.

+4 more 
posted on May, 27 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Has anyone else noticed the men who describe themselves as alpha males are dysfunctional losers?
edit on 27 5 2014 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Because that's what we do isn't it? We always find someone to blame OTHER than who is actually to blame. THE ONE WHO DID IT!

Maybe if we start taking a little responsibility for ourselves some of this shiite would stop. Unless he had someone riding beside him with a gun to his head, NOBODY made this boy do anything other than himself.

He perceived the world as out to get him from the time he was old enough to entertain the thought. If HE would not have blamed everyone but himself for his hardships then he would have been able to get the kind of help he needed. But our society has taught and is teaching our youth that no matter what they do... it isn't their fault.

He is the prime example of the same flawed logic Ann is partaking of and sharing. She herself.... should be ashamed for furthering the agenda.

I wonder what it's like to live in perpetual victimhood where you never have to face consequences for the stupid shiite you do?
edit on 5/27/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Just another somebody pointing the finger at someone else with ludicrous theories to try and establish themselves. I agree it was a mental health issue. Virgins don't go on a killing spree because they are virgins. This woman is obviously a sexist and misinformed.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
If white male domination of Hollywood is to blame, then maybe women should stop buying tickets (see pg. 13).

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Blaming Seth Rogen and 'white male Hollywood' is really making things WORSE. If the truth isn't addressed .. that these are mental health issues that went undiagnosed and unresolved ... then all the 'white male hollywood/Seth Rogen' finger pointing will actually take the attention OFF where it needs to go. She's doing a severe disservice by pointing her fingers in that direction.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

Has anyone else noticed the men who describe themselves as alpha males are dysfunctional losers?

Have you noticed that the geniuses are always single?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Wow,Ann you are bat **** crazy. Blaming movies and actors is just as bad as blaming firearms and the NRA. Maybe the issue is society as a whole and the progressive mindset brainwashed into these young minds.

The progressive mindset is poison for your children and your family. If you tell your kids they are winners even when they lose. If you freak out about a little bullying. If you let your children rule the house. If you give them everything they ask for.

This is a setup for failure and is the major reason young people do not want to leave home anymore. Mix in all the mind altering drugs with the progressive mindset and is it any wonder why. This is the cold hard truth.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

There seems to be a distinct difference between alpha males and losers who describe themselves as alpha males.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
What a bunch of nonsense!

I'm no Seth Rogen fan but the guy isn't responsible for the actions of others.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
If white male domination of Hollywood is to blame, then maybe women should stop buying tickets (see pg. 13).

And miss a chance to swoon over a four foot tall Tom Cruise on a twelve foot screen? Never!

Sure, if he wasnt famous he'd have no shot with anyone but since he's famous women happily ignore the whole insane couch-hopping midget thing.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
A brief online perusal yielded the following:
Regarding this Ann Hornady person, her bio and "modus operandi" suggest another example in the endless parade of blithering idiots who fancy themselves the intellectual. The smartest one in the room. The highbrow.
It would come as no surprise if I heard she was related to John Kerry.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

No, but i've noticed how many grandchildren I've got.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

I'm concerned that the whole human alpha male concept has been popularised in order to increase dysfunctionality. We're not wolves.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
The shooter had mental health issues. When someone feels /or really is rejected, they may find escape into fantasies in which he is in control. That may take the form of violence or sexual fantasies. From there it may grow until the opportunity comes for him to act it out.

Who is to say what influence popular culture had on him? What set it off, and what opportunities could there have been to offset his growing determination to stop his inner pain? If the culture of one-upmanship or male entitlement is a contributing factor, it should be examined. At least the piece has initiated discussion and debate, and that should not be seen as a bad thing, imo.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

How many students watch outsized frat-boy fantasies like “Neighbors” and feel, as Rodger did, unjustly shut out of college life that should be full of “sex and fun and pleasure”? How many men, raised on a steady diet of Judd Apatow comedies in which the shlubby arrested adolescent always gets the girl, find that those happy endings constantly elude them and conclude, “It’s not fair”?

This woman is obviously not entirely sane herself. Not only is this theme not specific to Judd Apatow movies, it's not even specific to movies, the modern era or American culture. Her comments are really odd considering the most relevant Judd Apatow movie, The 40-Year-Old Virgin, is about a "dork" who lives in self-imposed celibacy until he gets over his fear and learns how to communicate with women.

EDIT:

In fact, the more I think about it, watching The 40 Year-Old Virgin and taking it to heart might actually save lives!

edit on 2014-5-27 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I can't help but wonder if she's seeing a little money under the table from Big Pharma?

Anything to point away from the possibility that this monster was possibly/probably on psychotropics of some sort.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

By that logic, we should outlaw clowns because of John Wayne Gacy. In this world there exists something that could likely set off all kinds of people with mental issues. We can't (and shouldn't) expect the entire world to pussyfoot around every issue to prevent something like this from happening. Mary Poppins might set off one person while they aren't bothered at all by something like Saw.

While it would be nice to be able to prevent all events like this, we can't stop the world from turning and that is what we would have to do if we wereto try and filter out all triggers for all people.

The alpha male syndrome has existed since caveman days. It would exist without tv, ads, etc. I think most every man is born with a natural urge to compete and one up each other. I don't think it's realistic to expect it to stop any time soon.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Simple solution.

Ban Hollywood.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join