It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you suffer from depression? How do you beat the blues?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Hi all. Of late I have been coming across a lot of personal stories about people suffering depression, and it seems that the topic has somewhat less of a stigma than I remember from my youth where it was seen as either something of little consequence, or a weakness.

Quite a few famous people have admitted to suffering depression including Isaac Asimov, Woody Allen, and Buzz Aldrin. Here in Melbourne we have a group called 'Beyond Blue' which is in their own words, 'a national initiative to raise awareness of anxiety and depression, providing resources for recovery, management and resilience.' On the board of Beyond Blue is Jeff Kennett, an ex prime minister of Victoria, a controversial man plenty of people have no great love for, and one could entertain the idea that a lot of his policies brought a lot of depression on Victorians. Regardless of this, the fact that someone of his power and influence is involved with an initiative like Beyond Blue is indicative of the fact that depression is acknowledged and taken seriously in this day and age.

As someone who has had their own moments in the darkness, it is comforting to know that the way you are feeling does not mean that 'there is something wrong with you', in comparison to the rest of the populace. It's more than likely that plenty of others in the 'populace' may feel a similar way.

At this point in my life I have not taken anti-depressants, and I wonder how effective/non-effective they are? I am not opposed to this form of treatment, but personally at this time, I prefer to explore non-drug related ways of treatment. If it was a necessity, I would take medication, but it has not been an option I have explored yet.

I am interested in what other members have to say about this topic, and how they best cope with this state of mind. For those willing to discuss this topic, what forms of treatment do you think work? Do you think that drugs can help, or not? Can drugs help overcome depression, or are they simply a means of coping with, and just treating the symptoms?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I personally do not suffer, but have a close friend who does. The most important things to fight it are:

Exercise. Every day. Some sort of aerobic AND strength building. The result is that you've done something for yourself and you feel stronger and happier. The first couple of weeks are HARD, but once you get a routine, it becomes easier to do.

Eat healthy. Feeding the body healthy foods is very important.

Talk with someone. I'm not big on going to a professional, but if you don't have any friends to talk to, it's better than nothing. Getting the feelings and thoughts OUT to an understanding friend can help a lot.

Get up, get out and do something for someone else. My friend has made a habit of this and it helps her more than anything. I know getting up and out is the LAST thing a depressed person wants to do, but taking your dog for a visit at an elderly care facility does WONDERS for the spirit and mind.

Just wanted to add that I am VERY against meds. And great thread!
edit on 5/27/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I lift heavy things. As soon as I stop I slip back into depression at an alarming rate. Slip back for too long then it becomes harder to lift myself back out and the circle begins of being depressed because I haven't worked out and not working out because I am depressed.
It is like an addiction that i must feed in order to keep going and I am fine with that. Keeps me off the pills and I can confirm that good regular exercise is the most effective way to naturally battle depression.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

This bit of your post sums up what I personally believe.

"Or are they simply a means of coping with and just treating the symptoms"

I believe physical activity is the answer ... It is an effort to get going but I think

when you make the effort it does work. And gardening can also be very

therapeutic.

A couple of times in my life when I was very stressed I was prescribed

anti depressants which I kept (in case) but never used. How I coped was to

immerse myself in as much activity as I could handle, and totally re arranged

my garden, often working in it right till it was too dark to see.

Even now after a few hours in the garden I feel better!

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: sierra25ni
I lift heavy things.

I do, too. It's one of the best discoveries I've ever made. It's a healthy addiction and you can see the progress. I LOVE lifting! While I don't suffer from chronic depression, I do get down now and then and lifting brings me right out!

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
This is simple but it works.

BREATHE..as deeply and as aware as you can.

Breathe and imagine you are in a place full of joy.

Use your imagination. And REDEFINE your concept of depression.

This text always helps me when i feel depressed.

"All right. Understand something else, however: what you term to be depression, or losing everything
– as you feel, reaching the bottom of your barrel – when you reach that idea, then you realize in the
creation of that idea – having nothing left – all the way down at the bottom, nowhere to go, no way out –
realize that that may be your first impression, but really when you arrive at that point, you have at that
moment completely unlimited options, because every single option is equal and viable."

And therefore there will be that analogy within those depressions, to emotional depression, where
you withdraw within yourself to go where you know the answers must really be.
To allow yourself to reach that zero rest point where every option is equally valid. And then when
you re-emerge, you are quite a different person, having realigned yourself to a completely new reality.
One which you now have given yourself the opportunities, through the experiencing of that depression,
to try. Because when you have reached that point, you finally realize the validity of: “Well, why not?”

This is not negative depression, as you have defined it, it is only negative and becomes lonely and isolating when
you define it as a negative, as an unnatural thing, as something being wrong. It is compression; it is
going to where you know the information is, in the center of yourself.
It is GOING within the crucible, to restructure, re-identify, redefine what you are. And to thus,
thereafter, emerge as a new being, like a butterfly from the chrysalis – spread new wings of beautiful
vibrant color, flap them and fly. This is what going within is all about. It is natural, without
judgments. . . allowance. It is a creative act of rebirth, giving birth to yourselves, over and over and over
again – infinitely, for change is the only constant that really exists within the manifested reality of your
world."

edit on 27-5-2014 by kauskau because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I had a really strong depression 6 to 8 years ago....

And i would never want to miss that time.

It made me a better person. More open. More receptive. More sensitive. Blockages went away. I redefined my personality. And now everything is more simple..

Depression is not a mental illness. Its a natural reflex when your focus is to much "outward".

Its a natural reflex when you are making to much details or projecting to much "hope" in things that are not here and now.

Depression is the alarm of your body that says : HERE AND NOW is the place you should focus, not get lost in your images, nor in your hopes, not in your dreams, not in your wish for control... Relax.

The people who are depressed would not relax if it did not hurt what they hold on to.

So it must hurt until you relax and let go.

Depression is nothing more than the intelligence of your body bringing you to the place where you drop it like its hot.

(boom do doom do doom do doom do doom..snooooo....
)

edit on 27-5-2014 by kauskau because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Both depression and anxiety are very difficult conditions to deal with and manage. In my own experiences, medication has been critical in dealing with both, although finding the right medication and dosage was not a straightforward task. Other things that have helped are: therapy, a strong support network, exercise and self-nurturing. The trouble with depression is motivating yourself to take part in those things, when your whole mindset compels you not to.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: kauskau

I think depression is multi-faceted, and you are perhaps looking at one type of this illness. There are those who suffer chemical imbalances in the brain which may not be related to what you have put forward. You seem to be focussing on the metaphysical which is fine, but sometimes there are perhaps simpler reasons worth looking at.

I agree with other posters regarding the application of exercise. I also find having an empathic person one can talk to, is useful. There is nothing wrong with utilising qualified doctors, psychologists, and psychiatrists. It seems we are moving out of the dark ages with regards to understanding is happening in the brain, and Western medicine appears to be starting to look at the brain/body connection in a more holistic fashion, rather than the extremely crude ways so dramatised in movies like 'One flew over the cuckoo's nest'.

edit on 27-5-2014 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I am on meds and though it is no cure, they do help. In my case it was fighting to be strong for too long. Way too many things happening that I had/have no control over.

Like someone else mentioned, it's finding the right med at the right dose.

It's one thing if your depression/anxiety is temporary, that you can get over, but if it lasts for years you might want to try a prescribed med. No one will force you to stay on them if you decide to come off them later. Just reduce the dose at first.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Getting out into nature, being with other people and even diversions like a great movie or book or music helps too.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia long before it ever became a popular problem. That led to depression. Being achy, no matter what you do, is very depressing and debilitating. A year ago, they added a high dosage of Cymbalta to my regimen. I call it my happy pill. Although, the reason it was given to me was because it boosts the effectiveness of the Lyrica that I was also taking. It really lifted my mood. My husband even noticed I was a lot happier. The bad part is that the combination of the two makes it very hard to get off of. I almost killed myself trying. I spread the cutback out on both over a 4 week period but it led to severe paranoia. The doctor told me it can be done but when spread out over almost a year. WOW! They sure don't tell you that when you get the stuff. I used to take St John's Wort. However, I needed a lot to be effective.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
After trying to beat depression and anxiety with exercise, which worked but didn't last, I'm back on medication for the second time. Wellbutrin this time instead of lexapro. Also I take klonopin as needed for anxiety attacks.

I gave in to taking meds after the depression and anxiety led to a relapse in me drinking alcohol. Sometimes you just do what you gotta do.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Take nice long walks with the dog and weed, helps me a helluva lot

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Exercise helps, though it is not a cure. I like to do yoga and ride bikes.

Some folks just have brains that have neurotransmitter issues. It's not psychological, but physiological for these people (like me). It's as real as any other physical ailment and can make it hard to function socially. Meds can sometimes be helpful. Sometimes they're not - really have to match the right med to the right person / disorder. Unless one has suffered from neurotransmitter issues, one really shouldn't be shaming those with medical issues for seeking help. You don't know what's good for everyone.

Clinical depression is unfortunately a taboo subject, as is seeking help for such a condition.

edit on 27-5-2014 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   
My personal "pick me up" just means packing my stealth camping gear and going out for a night or two.

I set up a basic shelter, put the "kettle"" on, have a coffee in complete silence with nobody near me and reconnect with the land around me.

After a simple meal and a couple of hours of true peace and quiet in the arms of nature I feel like a new man.

It might not work for you but I can honestly say "if you have never done it,then try it".

Take no notice of where you can or cant camp. stay quiet and be as invisible as you can.

You'd be surprised what a difference it makes when you just disconnect from the world for 24 hours, when you return to "normal" life it looks like a different place.

Peace.
M.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Do you suffer from depression? How do you beat the blues?

Yes. I don't.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Just putting this out there. Nothing worse than people telling you what you SHOULD do, if your feeling depressed. This worked for me an a few others I know. Obviously not for everyone, but I was given this book by my neuropsychologist.

If you've ever struggled with depression, take heart. Mindfulness, a simple yet powerful way of paying attention to your most difficult emotions and life experiences, can help you break the cycle of chronic unhappiness once and for all. In The Mindful Way through Depression, four uniquely qualified experts explain why our usual attempts to "think" our way out of a bad mood or just "snap out of it" lead us deeper into the downward spiral. Through insightful lessons drawn from both Eastern meditative traditions and cognitive therapy, they demonstrate how to sidestep the mental habits that lead to despair, including rumination and self-blame, so you can face life's challenges with greater resilience

www.amazon.co.uk...

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 05:23 AM
link   
get intimite with the now ...

In a sense my Depression felt like the realest thing i ever experienced. Because in a way you just see the whole insanity of your mind and the mind of others.

Unless you are bi-polar ...you can really use the Depression to go into IAM and let it to the rest.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

I believe that science seeks the wrong answers to the problems. Many members (sierra25ni, eletheia, Benevolent Heretic, and Night Star) have already touched on important aspects - exercise and nature.

Our fabricated existence keeps us ill, and it's not just depression. Sedentary lifestyles, processed food, severe lack of connection to nature, and being surrounded by chemically created/modified products all add to the factors that cause long-term illnesses and issues for people.

I don't care what scientists say - they view our world through the fabricated lens. It's hard to find a scientist that studies a problem and realizes the answer is to get back to basics or the old ways.

I think some people are more prone to suffer from depression-like symptoms than others - it's a function of the Moon. Find out and understand where your Moon (mother) is and you will understand a bit more about your own depression/depression-like symptoms.

I don't and have never suffered from depression, however I notice a difference in my grouchiness and that of my son when we eat really bad fast food - like McDonald's. We eat it very infrequently (once every 2-3 months) and when he asks for it. After we eat it, he usually says "let's not do that again."

Anyway, good thread, kinda sorry I didn't find it sooner!

<<   2 >>

join