It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airline Rejects Woman's Job App Over Depression History

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
A two month period of depression sounds situational to me, rather than a long (long) case of major depressive disorder. "Horrific circumstances" could be job loss, death of a family member, really anything. Two months is nothing.

I have clinical depression - had the first person to properly diagnose me call me a "high functioning depressive". That still makes me giggle. Still managed to get 2 degrees, have a successful career, married + kids, etc. If anything, I feel calmer in a stressful situation than others seem.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Because in the west most companies hiring requirements are dictated / influenced by their insurance companies.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

And this is a Middle Eastern company that has nothing to do with western insurance companies.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Have a good day .. english making my head hurt off to get some fishing in ..

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
I'm sorry though, the airline has a right to know your history with regards to certain conditions, and based on that refuse to hire you.

Welcome to the real world.

But it's not the real world. It's kind of unfounded Scientism actually.

A doctor attached 'meta data' to a patient, and that meta data has followed the person throughout their life and now they can't get rid of it. If anything, this just encourages people not to seek medical help and I imagine adds more stigma to various conditions. It's especially concerning with something like psychology and psychiatry where they are changing their definitions regularly and getting things wrong on an annual basis.

It's not even like a physical where a person can improve their status since the 'history' stays in place.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
This pisses me off.

Not all "depression like symptoms" is actual "depression".

2005 I started suffering from depression, lack of energy, feeling low, the whole works. Doctor treated me for depression, 'scribing SSRI's which turned out to be ineffective (and now we know what was really going on, would never have been effective), counselling, behavioural cognition. Nothing worked.

Jump forward to last year, when a friend who is also a psychologist made a realization. In 2005 I had cancer with a double orchidectomy, but the PCP failed to start me on hormone replacement. The lack of testosterone in my body, meant an excess of eastrogen. In other words, I wasn't depressed, I was in a permanent state of PMS (yes you can laugh, I did).

1 injection every 3 months, fixed that, permanently.

What I'm saying is you can't say that depressives are a danger to others, because not all depression is depression, and not all depression manifests in the same way, or ends in the same way.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: BMorris

It's not that people with depression are a danger to others, as if something were to happen and they couldn't function that day, or in that environment a lot of people could get hurt or killed because of it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join