It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airline Rejects Woman's Job App Over Depression History

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I read this article thinking this probably isn't a bad idea considering we have some crazy individuals around that can snap at any instant and may be hell-bent on killing as many people as they can. But I finally came to my senses and realized how nuts is it that a company can look up your medical history. Maybe that's just in the UK but medical history should be private.

A British woman has gone public about her treatment by Emirates Airlines after her job application was rejected due to a history of depression.

Megan Cox, a 22-year-old from Somerset, UK, was offered her dream job as a flight attendant last month only to then have the offer withdrawn based on the results of her medical history.

The airline’s decision reversal was made due to the fact that Megan had endured depression in 2012 after what she describes as a time of “horrific circumstances” that “sent me into depression for two months.”

Outraged over her treatment, Megan launched a Facebook page called Emirates Against Depression, determined to bring her injustice to light.

“It’s heartbreaking losing your dream job for being a human being,” she posted on Facebook.

“But good riddance Emirates. I’m a human being, who has been through hell and back during certain times of my life … Depression made me a stronger, healthier person and opened my eyes to the world. It’s given me life experience that you couldn’t comprehend. I am able to deal [with] any type of person from the life I’ve led. I’m able to understand, support and appreciate every single person that crosses my path. I would have been the perfect air hostess,” she wrote.

Her story has been picked up by media outlets worldwide and Megan says she has had an “overwhelming reaction” from the public.

A spokesman for the airline made a statement to The Independent.

“Emirates has a clear and fair recruitment process and is an equal opportunity employer … We are unable to comment on individual recruitment cases.”

I have no problem if a company does a medical test before hiring you if the job requires certain physical capability or a psychological test for high stress jobs. That tests a person in the present. The past is the past and nobody's business except mine and my doctor. This is something I fear about Obama-care. My personal information in the hands of the government.

Like the young lady said, “It’s heartbreaking losing your dream job for being a human being,”. I couldn't agree more.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Why I always lie on the medical form of job applications

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

You can't forge your past medical documents....

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
If you are after a job that people rely on you for their safety, then that company should know if you had a clinical condition that may affect your ability to do the job. They don't need to know every detail of your medical history, and they shouldn't, but depression that required medical treatment is a big thing with some jobs.

Yes it sucks. I had my dream job lined up and lost it because of a cosmetic physical condition I have, so I know how she feels. I'm sorry though, the airline has a right to know your history with regards to certain conditions, and based on that refuse to hire you.

Welcome to the real world.
edit on 5/26/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
!

originally posted by: Euphem
a reply to: crazyewok

You can't forge your past medical documents....

Doctors cant share medical medical records without concent.

A company can not legaly demand too see anything. The individual controls all information.

Only exception is if you suffer seizeurs and will be operating a vehicle or you you have phycopathic tendacys and intend to work with weapons. Apart from that no consent no records.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Wow, talk about making her depression problems worse. If she didn't have any acts of random violence on her record than it shouldn't be a problem. I know a few depressed people and I use to suffer from a form of depression. Never affected me at work though. I like what I do and it kept me happy. Doing that to her was a blow to her character and her disease. I hope from all the press they ask her to come back, and then she can throw it in their faces.
edit on 26-5-2014 by RealLife because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Yet more corporate idiocy and overstepping their bounds .. more disgusting is doctors releasing confidential patient information ..
Would tell any company or person not related to any of my patients to piss off its none of their damn business .. one of many reasons why refuse to practice medicine in a western country ..

Good on her standing up for herself to the corporate bastards .. hope she gets a better job offer elsewhere ..

Meh.. gonna be one of those days .. time for sake and a cigar ..

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

Except that for them to get the records she had to sign a release that the doctor could give out the information. Standard practice for jobs like this one.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
It's bs like this that keeps people from going and seeking treatment for their depression. Even though a person with depression 95% of the time is fully capable of functioning highly, even in high stress situations.

What discrimination like this does is stigmatize depression, and turn it into a disability when fewer and fewer people will hire people with it.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
They can sign anything they want .. doesnt mean a thing to me wont violate the privacy of my patients ..
As to the release form Id laugh and use it to light my cigar as I throw the corporate lackey out.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

And risk losing your license over it. A patient has the right to authorize anyone they choose to access their records. It's not up to the doctor to decide if a release signed by the patient is to be released or not. It's up to the patient, as the records are theirs.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

It's bs like this that keeps people from going and seeking treatment for their depression. Even though a person with depression 95% of the time is fully capable of functioning highly, even in high stress situations. What discrimination like this does is stigmatize depression, and turn it into a disability when fewer and fewer people will hire people with it.

So what happens in the 5% time they are not functioning normally?.......7 miles above the Earth?
edit on 26/5/2014 by Argyll because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Argyll

It's bs like this that keeps people from going and seeking treatment for their depression. Even though a person with depression 95% of the time is fully capable of functioning highly, even in high stress situations. What discrimination like this does is stigmatize depression, and turn it into a disability when fewer and fewer people will hire people with it.

So what happens in the 5% time they are not functioning normally?.......7 miles above the Earth?

I fly internationally frequently and from some of the attendants I've seen, there are plenty in a bad mood. Whether they're depressed or just hate their job, I don't know. The point is, anyone can have a bad day. So long as they can perform in an emergency, that's what counts.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Argyll

Nothing unusual happens, that's what. Millions of people with depression, even when they are in a bad state, still go to work and do their job. Many you would never even know they had it.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

I fly internationally frequently and from some of the attendants I've seen, there are plenty in a bad mood. Whether they're depressed or just hate their job, I don't know. The point is, anyone can have a bad day. So long as they can perform in an emergency, that's what counts.

Exactly. And depressed people, perhaps due to their lowered levels of mood, tend to be pretty calm and focused in a crisis.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

Except people in a bad mood can function normally even in a high stress situation. An emergency like what happened to the Asiana flight in San Francisco is not the time to have one of your flight attendants who suffers from depression, and is having a bad day shut down.

I've suffered depression my entire life. It's been damn near debilitating at times. I recognize that there are certain jobs that I would enjoy, that I wouldn't be a good fit for because of that. I have a good life now, and a great relationship, and there are still days I can barely get out of bed, for no reason at all.

After an accident, when everyone is counting on you is not the time to find out you can't handle it.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
They can have it if they want it .. nice thing about being a doctor I can practice medicine anywhere in the world .. in the places Ive worked very few even have nerve to set foot in . As to licensing licensed in half the countries here in asia along with in u.k germany and russia .. refuse to practice in u.s as refuse to be a pill pusher for big pharma and wont put up with insurance companies dictating who I can or cant treat .. I treat all who come to me regardless of their income and leave it up to them what if anything to pay me for my services.
They dont like my attitude what they going to do .. its my job to save lives not play stupid little political games.

If an employer doesnt have the brains to see that a person is up around and physically able to work then theyre not that observant and shouldnt be running a company.
But in the west the insurance companies have everyone by the shorthairs with their legalized extortion and rules so they can profit.

Not my concern walked away from the headaches and hassles of life in the west long ago.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
This is a problem how?

Do you want to fly an airline that doesn't do background and psychological history checks on flight crews?

Really?

edit on 26-5-2014 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Yes, millions do, including me. But how many of those are doing jobs where the lives of hundreds of people could be relying on your split second decision?

It's one thing to drive a truck, or work in an office, or do a normal job. This is a totally different situation.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

And this has what to do with an insurance company? This is a business decision made by a company that has every right to make it. It's not a western company either, if you've paid attention beyond the fact that she's from the UK.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join